I got new hearing aids

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well yesterday I picked up my new hearing aids, and man oh man is everything quite different now. I can now hear everything.

I'm really glad I gotten these.

squirrel dog

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Whm , that's great for you . I do have tinnitus and would love to do something about it .

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
You can't really do anything about tinnitus. It's just there.

I too have hearing aids, don't always use them. But they do work well, pretty tiny too.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Different backgrounds, etc does make a difference. Like most things, you can become accustomed to it and not notice it as much.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Well yesterday I picked up my new hearing aids, and man oh man is everything quite different now. I can now hear everything.

are they those fancy ones with Bluetooth?

my friend has those and they are hooked up to his cell phone.

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
I got hearing aids a year ago at age 34. I bought really high end ones (Widex brand, about $6k for a pair). They sounded terrible at first and took a few months to get used to. Now I don't notice them 90 percent of the time. Even when they sound a bit funny, it's far better than not wearing them. They have bluetooth connectivity, but that requires wearing a small lanyard, presumably because the actual sound is transmitted through an induction loop. Cheap earbuds sound better than using them to stream music.

I also have debilitating tinnitus, so bad that I miss a lot of work and have trouble functioning some days. The hearing aids didn't help with that. However, the majority of people with tinnitus and hearing loss notice an improvement when they get hearing aids.

The older I get the less I want to hear what most people have to say.

One of the doctors told me that if I was old, he wouldn't recommend me hearing aids for that reason.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
How much should they cost? I took my Dad to get hearing aids and they want to charge $1800 each after insurance!

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014

thats awesome...I stopped wearing mine when i was 6 years old...kept getting into school yard fights and losing them. I really should do what you did though.

fun fact about me. I was held back in kindergarten because no one realized I was deaf.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

I got them 7 years ago, life changing experience for me. I had no idea how deaf I was until I could hear everything.

Reactions: Mayne

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
How much should they cost? I took my Dad to get hearing aids and they want to charge $1800 each after insurance!
Sounds about right. Medicaid paid $3000 for both of them and that included all the tests and everything.

More Importantly they will also pay for new molds every year and new Hearing Aids every three years.