I got my X2 4800+ installed today

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I have been playing with overclocking mine a little bit tonight, so far it is stable at 2.7 Ghz (225 FSB, HT multipler to X4). Can these go much higher than that, or should I just keep it where it is now and live with it?

My temps right now are at about 50C with Prime95 and superpi running, with a Thermalright XP-120 and a panaflo 120mm fan. I do not know what the X2 4800+ chips normally run at temp wise, so it would be nice to see where I am at compared to others (I figure I will be running a tad hot since I am OC'd). I am using Arctic Silver 5, applied just as the instructions said (a small bead about the size of a grain of rice).

Also, how far would be too much of a voltage increase? I have it at stock voltage right now, and so far everything has been stable (running prime95 stress test right now, also ran 3dmark06 and superPi on top of that).

Thanks.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
2.7-2.8 is about average for a 4800, but if your's is doing 2.7 on stock voltage, I wouldn't be surprised if you had one of the ones that does 3.0 with good cooling. As far as voltage, it depends on who you ask. Some say 1.45v, others say 1.50v as the limit. Plus, I forgot to say at first that I'd probably just leave mine at 2.7, since that's awfully fast, especially with 2x1 MB of L2 cache.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Thanks for the fast reply, I also edited my message about the temps, and the cooling I am using. Is 50C under full load bad for these X2 chips?

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
I noticed, so I edited in info about that.:D

edit: Oops, forgot the temps. No, 50*C load is very good, for 2.7 ghz. As long as you keep it under 60C load, with both cores loaded, you're fine. I personally like mine as low as possible, but 50C load is good.

CelSnip

Jun 27, 2006
My X2 4800+ is at stock, and I'm impressed with how cool it runs with the normal cooler. Rght now it's idling <30C. And I'm using radioshack heatpaste. :confused:

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Hey, 2x 2.4 Ghz isn't slow, for sure. If I had had a bit more money, I would have bought a 4800, instead of a 4400.

Pederv

Golden Member
May 13, 2000
Originally posted by: CelSnip
My X2 4800+ is at stock, and I'm impressed with how cool it runs with the normal cooler. Rght now it's idling <30C. And I'm using radioshack heatpaste. :confused:

Well I guess mine will help heat the bedroom come winter time. My 4800 idles at 36C, and that's with CnQ enabled. Took it up to 2.6 somethin GHz, but had to boost the voltage to just over 1.4V.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I just took a look at it this morning, and right now it is averaging 47-48C at full load. I left it running overnight with prime95, and had a SuperPi 32million digit Pi calculation running, with my nvidia geoforms screensaver all night. From what I remember, Arctic silver 5 takes a day or two of burn-in to work at maximum efficiency, maybe thats whats going on here?

So far it is rock solid at 2.7 Ghz though.

KyaAvalanche

Jul 21, 2006
Originally posted by: myocardia
Hey, 2x 2.4 Ghz isn't slow, for sure. If I had had a bit more money, I would have bought a 4800, instead of a 4400.

Did you get the 110W version? ADA?

KyaAvalanche

Jul 21, 2006
Originally posted by: adairusmc
I have been playing with overclocking mine a little bit tonight, so far it is stable at 2.7 Ghz (225 FSB, HT multipler to X4). Can these go much higher than that, or should I just keep it where it is now and live with it?

My temps right now are at about 50C with Prime95 and superpi running, with a Thermalright XP-120 and a panaflo 120mm fan. I do not know what the X2 4800+ chips normally run at temp wise, so it would be nice to see where I am at compared to others (I figure I will be running a tad hot since I am OC'd). I am using Arctic Silver 5, applied just as the instructions said (a small bead about the size of a grain of rice).

Also, how far would be too much of a voltage increase? I have it at stock voltage right now, and so far everything has been stable (running prime95 stress test right now, also ran 3dmark06 and superPi on top of that).

Thanks.

Great Job... I would try 2.8 things run snapier at that speed!!

Again Great job...

Edit: Sorry for the double Post!!!

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: KyaAvalanche
Originally posted by: adairusmc

Thanks.

Great Job... I would try 2.8 things run snapier at that speed!!

Again Great job...

Edit: Sorry for the double Post!!!

Thank you. I am not sure what version I have actually, I can get a CPU-Z screenshot when I get off work today.

I tried taking it up to 2.8 last night (upping the FSB to 235), and even tried giving both the RAM and the CPU a little extra voltage, but it would crash not long after booting into windows. I am gonna put it back up to that speed before I go to work, and loop test 5 on memtest86 all day. I have a suspicion that it is my RAM holding me back, I am only using plain Crucial PC3200 on this system. If all I can get is 2.7, I am definately happy with that though, as it is still rock solid at that speed.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
You're going to see VERY little difference between 2.7 and 2.8. If you need to increase voltage or buy different RAM to get that extra little bit, it is a huge waste.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Yeah, I do agree that buying RAM is a total waste just to get a little bit of an overclock (I wasnt planning on it anyways), but I am just playing with it to see how far I can take it. As I said, I am perfectly happy with 2.7. Its just a new toy to play with though, and is interesting to see how far I can take it.

MBrown

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Im thinking about picking one of these up. Its only $297 on newegg.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: MBrown
Im thinking about picking one of these up. Its only $297 on newegg.

I went from a 4000+ to this and so far I am loving dual core. If you are planning on it, I would get one while you can.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Well, it has been 24 hours running dual instances of Prime95, and so far it is loving it at 2.7 Ghz. I figure another 24-36 hours of testing and as long as there are no errors, I think I might just leave it here.

The highest I could get my old 4000+ was to 2604, so its kind of nice to know that even with everything the same in my system, I can achieve even higher results with this new CPU.