I GOT MY G4 SET UP!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
BTW, cool deal on the G4. I have a MDD Dual G4 1.25Ghz.

Get 10.3 on that machine and stop using your Windows PC for anything except games. :D

neonerd

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2003
i don't wanna pay for os x 10.3...:(

however, for those of you that hate mac, i don't see why...very nice computers, clean and nice interface...my pc for now is only better because i kno how to use it better, but that's soon gonna change...i'm gonna try to do everything i can to learn mac as well as i kno pc, :)

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Kaputnik03
i don't wanna pay for os x 10.3...:(

however, for those of you that hate mac, i don't see why...very nice computers, clean and nice interface...my pc for now is only better because i kno how to use it better, but that's soon gonna change...i'm gonna try to do everything i can to learn mac as well as i kno pc, :)
10.3 is definitely worth it. I played with jaguar on someone I knows powerbook (very similar config to mine), and mine with Panther was so much more responsive. I have the 17 Inch Powerbook with 1 GB of RAM, 1.33 GHz G4, and the 5400 RPM HDD. Definitely one of the best computing platforms I have ever purchased. Also, all those who argue gaming, there really isn't much difference anymore. Most new games come out for mac, with a slight delay. For instance, you have been able to get Halo for Mac's for a while, and it actually performs equally good on my Powerbook as my desktop. The only reason I am keeping my x86 desktop is for college. Some applications I am bound to need only come for Windows, and VirtualPC isn't up to par yet, although with the release of 7.0, it may become decently usable, especially on a G5. Congrats on your grandpa letting you "borrow" his mac, and have fun. Also, install fink. It will allow you to install many Linux programs that have been ported to OS X (whether native ports, or X11 ports).

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy
my grandpa lent me his mac g4, and i have it set up and online! W00h00!!

so why did your grandpa let you use it? he not like it or dont kno whow to use it?

he lent it to me for as long as i like because he didn't know how to use it, and asked me to built him a windows pc (he's very familiar with that) ...now that he has that pc, doesn't really have a need for a mac. He's very satisfied with his win pc

heh wow good deal!