I got my cingular 2125 Phone

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
I got my cingular 2125 cell phon today and I set it up activated it it has win mobile 5.0 and I did a mobile sped test b/c cingualr says that I should get 70-136 KB/S well I an getting 769Kbits/sec and .213s latency 769KB/S wow that blazing fast for a cell phone

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
yeah I am also with Cingular, and my phone isn't even EDGE capable... when I plug it into my laptop it shows usually 150Kbits/sec

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I didnt even know cingular made phones.
Where can I find info on yours?
I'd like to see what kind of hardware they would produce.

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
it's OEM of HTC produce IIRC. Same ones Orange in Europe have been using.

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Muadib
They still want too much for data,IMO.

$20 a month unlimited is too much? I have been using this phone for over a week now. I like it, but can't wait for the 8125 to show its head. :D

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
try 96.125 KB/sec, chief

edit: i've been getting that on sprint for more than 2 years... god GSM blows

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Why do America always get the decent tech first :(, we don?t have that sort of functionality on mobile phones in the UK, the best network we have for that type of data transmission is 3G an that is well .. sh!t

Got a link to those mobiles phones you talk of?

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
I can't believe you call EDGE "high-speed". I have Cingular too but I hardly call my acess "high-speed". EVDO is another story.

Cawchy87

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2004
Originally posted by: RichUK
Why do America always get the decent tech first :(, we don?t have that sort of functionality on mobile phones in the UK, the best network we have for that type of data transmission is 3G an that is well .. sh!t

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
So are you able to stream like news and sports, i can do that on 3G in the UK but the quality is sh!t

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Cawchy87

thanks :) that 8125 looks sweet, and it has a full QWERTY keyboard

EDIT i was going to get an Orange SPV C500 once but ended up getting something different, this is similar but limited to the network ability in which it resides

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: BAMAVOO
Originally posted by: Muadib
They still want too much for data,IMO.

$20 a month unlimited is too much? I have been using this phone for over a week now. I like it, but can't wait for the 8125 to show its head. :D
Yes it is!!! You still need a package for text messaging & to send pics. That used to be included in that $20.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
First?
America does NOT get the tech first. Asia gets new tech first.
We get it before you because we are better business.
Americans are much more likely to throw away money on junk we dont need.
Even better if its electronical. ;)

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: shortylickens
First?

lol silly me, of course the Japs get it first :eek:

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999

umm 3G UMTS should be faster than EDGE on average. Not extremely fast, but definately faster. It probably depends on your network provider.

Most of us here think you guys get the better stuff first.

how do you guys test the speed of your phones? any special mobile sites to go to?

Platinum Member
May 7, 2003
Originally posted by: sygyzy
I can't believe you call EDGE "high-speed". I have Cingular too but I hardly call my acess "high-speed". EVDO is another story.

What is EVDO?

Also I'm curious. With those kind of speeds couldn't one use VOIP on those phones instead of cellular service?

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: 50

What is EVDO?

It's the high speed variant of the CDMA protocol. I believe another term for it is CDMA2000 (not sure on that). It's significantly different from WCDMA (UMTS) though, although it is based on CDMA.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
EVDO is awesome, that's what it is.

I'm posting from the back of a cab on my way back to my hotel.

:D

Viper GTS

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000

What is EVDO?

Also I'm curious. With those kind of speeds couldn't one use VOIP on those phones instead of cellular service?

EVolution Data Only. Runs on CDMA network. About 700 Kps instead of 130 (max) for EDGE. Sprint and Verizon are the two providers for it. About $80 a month. Does that sound right Viper GTS?

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: shortylickens
First?

lol silly me, of course the Japs get it first :eek:

Not anymore. South Korea gets the coolest stuff nowdays.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

What is EVDO?

EVolution Data Only. Runs on CDMA network. About 700 Kps instead of 130 (max) for EDGE. Sprint and Verizon are the two providers for it. About $80 a month. Does that sound right Viper GTS?

In theory it should burst up to 2.4 mbps, but most people see around 1 meg w/Verizon, a little more with Sprint. $80 a month from Verizon.

I'm using it as my only internet connection while on the road, hopefully they don't shut me down. I've used ~1.3 gigs in 3 days just entertaining myself during the day, & that's not even doing any downloading.

Viper GTS

AStar617

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2002
$80/mo unless you know the minutes-of-use hacks :p Of course, you run the risk of having your account flagged and terminated, and being assessed the $175 ETF for violating the TOU agreement. Some idiots out there steal the service and use it for P2P, as if VZW won't notice gigs of data passing by.

I, on the other hand, throttle down the speed and use it in emergencies, like the time I was stuck in a "5miles in 3hrs" traffic jam outside Atlanta, but was still able to email out a document from the driver's seat just before a deadline. Great stuff :thumbsup: