I got my cingular 2125 Phone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
I hope work is paying for this for you guys. I am already upset paying $20 for EDGE. $80 plus your regular minutes, is insane.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
$80 is only for data card. The EVDO plan for a handset is $15 with unlimited useage. Officially you're not suppose to tether the phone to a laptop but unless you abuse it (P2P) they likely won't complain.

This pricing is about the same for Sprint and Verizon.

EDIT: Now, if you're talking EDGE, its more comparable in speeds to the "old" 1xRTT which only runs $10/month, at least for Sprint. I'd imagine its also cheaper on Verizon as well.

DeeKnow

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: thescreensavers
I got my cingular 2125 cell phon today and I set it up activated it it has win mobile 5.0 and I did a mobile sped test b/c cingualr says that I should get 70-136 KB/S well I an getting 769Kbits/sec and .213s latency 769KB/S wow that blazing fast for a cell phone

I SERIOUSLY doubt your cellphone does 769 kB/s....
you sure you haven't messed up somewhere??

DeeKnow

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: RichUK
Why do America always get the decent tech first :(, we don?t have that sort of functionality on mobile phones in the UK, the best network we have for that type of data transmission is 3G an that is well .. sh!t

Got a link to those mobiles phones you talk of?

update for you Sir...

I have a CDMA phone in India that gets me 115 kbps every time, and costs me all of 65 US cents per hour (that's right, per hour)

I can email and surf the web, and Skype from the hotel, airport... or in the back of the car and never worry about how much it costs !!

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Why do America always get the decent tech first :(, we don?t have that sort of functionality on mobile phones in the UK, the best network we have for that type of data transmission is 3G an that is well .. sh!t
First?
America does NOT get the tech first. Asia gets new tech first.
We get it before you because we are better business.
Americans are much more likely to throw away money on junk we dont need.
Even better if its electronical. ;)

Well... not so much as likely to throw away money at it, but the truth of it is that we are a bigger market. Why would you cater to a region that has 5 times less people first? That would be like Microsoft giving every store in Montana 100 XBox 360's and making them scarce in California.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: DeeKnow
I got my cingular 2125 cell phon today and I set it up activated it it has win mobile 5.0 and I did a mobile sped test b/c cingualr says that I should get 70-136 KB/S well I an getting 769Kbits/sec and .213s latency 769KB/S wow that blazing fast for a cell phone

I SERIOUSLY doubt your cellphone does 769 kB/s....
you sure you haven't messed up somewhere??

He's getting bits and bytes mixed up;)

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
AA I made a mistake i had it plug in via usb and that how i was getting that speed and my net stops working when I am unpluged

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
That sounds more reasonable. Now, get back to use when you have DSL speeds on your mobile;):p

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
AA I made a mistake i had it plug in via usb and that how i was getting that speed and my net stops working when I am unpluged

LOL
OP = own3d!

Kerouactivist

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2001
This thread got me thinking, my dad travels all over the country for work...and uses the internet almost every other night on his laptop sometimes free sometimes has to pay....

I didn't realize that you could hook your phone to your laptop and get on the internet and not be charged massive fees for per data amounts....

Could somebody give me more details, I checked out the Cingular site but, for 19.99 a month they offered unlimited medianet which is not the same thing right?

I would great appreciate somebody explaining all of this to me....I'm a noob to all of this...

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Techincally you're not suppose to tether it but you can get away with it if you don't abuse the connection.

Anyway, I'd get Verizon or Sprint for that since their data speeds are far superior in most metrolpolitan areas.

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Cawchy87

Got a link to those mobiles phones you talk of?

im sure orange have been using the top one for a while..think they call it the spv but i didnt know you could go online with them