I got into rock climbing (indoor).

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I used to be in shape... oh.. more than a decade ago. I like running and working out, but it was never really enjoyable. But it felt amazing afterward.

My friend got me into it. Man, it's quite fun. I thought you just climbed with whatever holds you have, but they're color coded by difficulty. And each climbs have their own unique challenges. And every few weeks, they redesign the climbs.

Currently I'm trying to clear a V2 course. It's been kicking my ass, but I can now comfortably do V0 and V1.

10 New Jersey Indoor Rock Climbing Gyms - New Jersey Digest Magazine

A Year of Indoor Rock Climbing. Twice a week in the past nine months, I… |  by Yu Zhou | Medium

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I've never done it, but it looks fun. Good way to get a full body workout without doing a bunch of boring repetitive shit.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I used to climb rocks as a kid, but that was more about getting to the top of them than the actual climb itself :p

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I've never done it, but it looks fun. Good way to get a full body workout without doing a bunch of boring repetitive shit.
That's right.

But the bummer part is that climbing uses mostly forearms, triceps, shoulders, lats, and bit of core/abs. If you're trying to get biceps or chest worked out extensively, you have to lift weights for that.

It can be frustrating when I fail a hard course several times with my forearms & lats completely tired, but my body and rest of the muscle groups have plenty of strength.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Unfortunately I have too many hand/wrist problems related to old injuries so I just can't do that kind of climbing much anymore.

:(

A short-ish vertical/near-vertical climb in the midst of a long hike? Sure no problem, however my hands would be next to useless for awhile if I spent hours scaling walls!