I got into my first car accident earlier this morning.

demenion

Golden Member
Nov 11, 1999
It was about 6:00 AM and I was taking my friend back home..

Situation:
We were ALMOST to his apartment complex until I was on the right lane about to pass through a intersection with a green light.

The car infront of me quicky makes a right turn on the intersecting street and i go continue to go straight.

I am like half way in the intersection and a car on the opposite direction is making left turn and does not stop.

I hit my breaks as soon as I can but she doesn't stop and hits the front of my car at an angle.

My front bumper is barely hanging and my front hood is crushed (2000 Honda Accord). Her car has like a scratch (89 Chevy Celebrity). Thankfully no one was hurt and my airbags did not deploy.

The DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) security were at the scene, but tell me they did not see what occured. They call the Dallas Police and drive off telling us to wait for them. When the cop comes we exchange insurance info with each other.. He asks for my insurance/liscence even though it was her fault. She was supposed to yield to me but said she did not see me. The cop gave both of us a service assistance information number. As soon as I get home I called her insurance company and filed the claim.

ugh.. ;/ now i just wait and hope everything gets taken care of.

Locke

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2001
Good luck there =) Dealing with most insurance companies is a pain!

demenion

Golden Member
Nov 11, 1999
oh, the cop also didn't give her a ticket. (?)

i'm gonna call her insurance company again tomorrow:

ask if they have contacted each other
get more details (i am accident newb, first one ;/)
tell them i want a rental (for school)
copy of the report when it is ready.

ugh, i need to get estimates this week at honda dealership.

is there anything else I should know

Bekker

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2000
Hope for the best. Years ago I had about an identical accident with about the same results. Her insurance paid only half the damage claiming I had no clear proof that she had not atarted her turn before I hit her. I would not have had ROW if she had. Good luck Bekker

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
I'm still waiting on arbitration from my accident in January. My insurrance company (USAA) says that I am not at fault. The girl's insurrance company refuses to pay.

In NC, we have no fault accidents, so the companys have to work together.

huesmann

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
It's called failure to yield while making a turn. She'll get fux0red in the insurance mix.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just take your car to a place you trust to do the best job fixing it (read, the most expensive place in town). Don't even contact your insurance company. The adjuster for her company can haggle with your repair shop. You don't have to bother with any of it. Oh, get yourself a rental car. That may be capped, but you're entitled to one comparable to what you were driving. Again, don't even bother your insurance company about this!