I got capitalised and I don't like it

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I'm quite into Ghost in the Shell. I noticed recently that there's a remastered 4K+BR version released in the UK this year and apparently the makers of GitS have learnt their lesson and made it a remaster of the original film rather than GitS "2.0", and given how the DVD version I have isn't that great quality, getting a nicely remastered version appeals to me. All well and good so far.

However, Christmas is coming up and my wife complains that a) I rarely come up with many good suggestions for what I'd like for Christmas that she can pass on to family members and b) that I don't do it promptly enough to give plenty of time for family members from abroad to handle the additional steps of postage and packing etc., and here is a perfectly good suggestion possibly for a few family members to team up on. The problem in this case is that this GitS release is marked as "limited edition", which to me suggests a limited run and what if I miss out on it?!?. I know I'm being stupid in believing even for a split second that this is going to be the only time I can buy a physical copy of this product and of course there'll be another run with slightly different packaging at some point, but I got it anyway, with the approval of my wife of course and she'll have a chat with her siblings about whether they want to contribute to it even if I get it before Christmas (I don't expect that at all and would be happy to buy it myself entirely).

Though thinking about it some more, it's plausible that at some point they won't make physical media for my favourite music/films though...

On a related note, I remember about 20 years ago seeing the DVD release of the original Star Wars trilogy, LIMITED EDITION, dual-disc edition with the original theatrical releases and the 'special editions', and how it was marketed as the last edition of Star Wars that people can buy. I bought it, but at least I didn't buy it because of that claim.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I used to own the Star Wars trilogy Special Edition on dual VHS tapes...

Was that the silver-themed one or the gold one? I don't remember the difference. I think I had the gold one that I literally found sitting in the road one day as a teen.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Was that the silver-themed one or the gold one? I don't remember the difference. I think I had the gold one that I literally found sitting in the road one day as a teen.

Silver. I don't remember what the gold one was.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Is it two tapes per movie? Mine was widescreen two tapes per movie. Those look like single tapes.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I used to own the Star Wars trilogy Special Edition on dual VHS tapes...

I had the glorious Letterboxed Set of the original movies, that came with the "Making of" whatever it was called 4th tape. That pretty little thing cost $200 back in 1994ish?

I love how those VHS versions from that era also opened with that OG THX splash screen, as if it mattered on your stereo-only VHS. lol.

This one

Looks like it was first released in 1992. I guess it was the VHS version of the Laserdisc set of the time--the last proper master of any Star Wars movie that was ever printed (commercially)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I had the glorious Letterboxed Set of the original movies, that came with the "Making of" whatever it was called 4th tape. That pretty little thing cost $200 back in 1994ish?

I love how those VHS versions from that era also opened with that OG THX splash screen, as if it mattered on your stereo-only VHS. lol.

Dolby Pro Logic :colbert:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Is it two tapes per movie? Mine was widescreen two tapes per movie. Those look like single tapes.
What? You had to actually get up mid movie and change tapes! Oh wait, that’s what kids are for :p