I got battery acid on my car's carpet.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I bring my laptop with me while I'm on the road, coupled to an inverter which is hooked up to my 115Ah deep cycle marine battery that sits on the floor of the passenger side. I haven't bothered to run wires from the car's battery to hook the inverter up.

Anyway.. I was taking the battery out of the car every night to charge, but this got too annoying.. so instead of bringing the battery to the charger, I started bringing the charger to the battery.

It's supposed to be one of those smart chargers.. However, the last couple of days.. I have noticed that when I unhook it in the morning, it says the battery isn't completely charged yet.. and is holding it at ~14.0V @ 6A.

When I disconnect and reconnect the charger, it immediately goes into float mode. I haven't really thought much about it.

When I came out thismorning, much to my horror, the battery was boiling over. Thankfully, it must have only been doing it for a few minutes, because the puddle was only like 1.5" in diameter.

I ran inside and grabbed the baking soda and a cup of water, mixed it up and poured it on.. It bubbled and fizzed.. soaked it up, and did it again.. until it wasn't bubbling anymore, and then soaked it again just for good measure.

I'm hoping I caught it soon enough, I don't see any carpet damage or discoloration yet.

I also must have gotten some on my leg, because about 20 minutes into driving.. it started stinging, lol.. I still had the baking soda in the car, so at my first stop I went into the bathroom and washed it off with more baking soda and water.

Fun times.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
I think you're too late.

Give it a few days - the acid will eat your entire car and lave just the air freshner sitting in your drive.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: OdiN
I think you're too late.

Give it a few days - the acid will eat your entire car and lave just the air freshner sitting in your drive.
:laugh:

Sweet. ;)

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Eli

I ran inside and grabbed the baking soda and a cup of water, mixed it up and poured it on.. It bubbled and fizzed.. soaked it up, and did it again.. until it wasn't bubbling anymore, and then soaked it again just for good measure.

I'm hoping I caught it soon enough, I don't see any carpet damage or discoloration yet.

I also must have gotten some on my leg, because about 20 minutes into driving.. it started stinging, lol.. I still had the baking soda in the car, so at my first stop I went into the bathroom and washed it off with more baking soda and water.

Fun times.

"Check out the brains on Brad."

Nice job neutralizing the acid. Guess that bs highschool chemistry payed off:). Oh, and those fumes probably weren't too healthy...

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Imp

Fun times.

"Check out the brains on Brad."

Nice job neutralizing the acid. Guess that bs highschool chemistry payed off:). Oh, and those fumes probably weren't too healthy...
Should have just been carbon dioxide AFAIK.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DnetMHZ
I award you the ghetto tech. setup of the month award. :beer:
I wish I could take a picture ;)

I have an analog LED volt meter hooked up to the battery.. wires running everywhere.

I took a small cooler I had and added a peltier assembly, so thats hooked up too. I have a wireless temperature transmitter in the cooler with the receiver on my dash so I can monitor the temperature of my food and drinks. ;)

I'm such a geek.. lol

I suppose I should just hardwire the inverter.. I was contemplating going and buying a SLA(Sealed Lead Acid... no spillage worries).. but they're quite expensive in the 100+Ah range.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
I wish I could take a picture ;)

I have an analog LED volt meter hooked up to the battery.. wires running everywhere.

I took a small cooler I had and added a peltier assembly, so thats hooked up too. I have a wireless temperature transmitter in the cooler with the receiver on my dash so I can monitor the temperature of my food and drinks. ;)

I'm such a geek.. lol

I suppose I should just hardwire the inverter.. I was contemplating going and buying a SLA(Sealed Lead Acid... no spillage worries).. but they're quite expensive in the 100+Ah range.

yup.

that carpet chunk will be crunchy soon. then it will flake and disappear. how soon you got to it will be the factor of how much will flake away

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Get a few of these. No worries. (unless your charger screws up then your vehicle will probably blow up but at least it will stay dry and acid free. ;)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

esp should he have had to do evasive driving and the battery tipped and shorted.

I think there may be an exhaust leak in his ride with his recent posts.

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
What's with posting this?

You (ELI) gave an example on how to remedy this back in a thread here on this very Forum 3rd post down HERE 5/27/07 Actually you posted 7 times in this thread. You and Spidey have a "HELP your THREAD along thing going so you can crank out those post numbers?

I guess this is what "LIFERS" do when they have no new stuff to post.

05/27/2007 04:43 PM
Eli
Lifer

Baking soda and water will neutralize it.
You need to take the carpet out, though... Battery acid in your trunk is a sheet metal hole waiting to happen.
btw, battery electrolyte doesn't really have a smell... you're smelling things corroding.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Rubycon
Get a few of these. No worries. (unless your charger screws up then your vehicle will probably blow up but at least it will stay dry and acid free. ;)
LMAO!

I'm guessing there must be something wrong with the charger.. I've charged this battery a lot with it, and it's certainly never done that before. Strange.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CorCentral
What's with posting this?

You (ELI) gave an example on how to remedy this back in a thread here on this very Forum 3rd post down HERE 5/27/07 Actually you posted 7 times in this thread. You and Spidey have a "HELP your THREAD along thing going so you can crank out those post numbers?

I guess this is what "LIFERS" do when they have no new stuff to post.

05/27/2007 04:43 PM
Eli
Lifer

Baking soda and water will neutralize it.
You need to take the carpet out, though... Battery acid in your trunk is a sheet metal hole waiting to happen.
btw, battery electrolyte doesn't really have a smell... you're smelling things corroding.
I posted it to talk about it, nothing more..
Originally posted by: alkemyst

esp should he have had to do evasive driving and the battery tipped and shorted.

I think there may be an exhaust leak in his ride with his recent posts.
It weighs 60lbs, if it "tipped and shorted" because of evasive driving, I would have other things to worry about, like being upside down. ;)

I do acknowledge it's not the best thing to have in the cabin because of the possibility of an accident, but meh.

As far as the recent posts comment.. what is that supposed to mean? Whats wrong with my posts lately? I haven't really been posting much.... :confused:

alpineranger

Feb 3, 2001
Next time use one of those glass mat batteries that don't have electrolyte to leak and don't need to be kept in any particular orientation. A bit more expensive but totally worth it for the peace of mind.