I got asked to resign yesterday...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
According to the NJ office, I have to show 3 things to get an unemployment claim approved if I resign instead of quit.

1. I have to show that I quit in ieu of termination
2. That the termination was for performance issues
3. that I was not involved in any misconduct while employed at the firm

If I can get a document to this effect, I am in good shape.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Mwilding
According to the NJ office, I have to show 3 things to get an unemployment claim approved if I resign instead of quit.

You really want something showing that you were going to be terminated because of performance issues? Won't be good for future jobs, will it?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

You sure no 2 is not supposed to be "That the termination was not for performance issues"?

GroundZero

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
My company is having problems generating sales and I am a salesman

sounds to me like you need to try looking for a new line of work

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: CPA

You sure no 2 is not supposed to be "That the termination was not for performance issues"?
Yeah, I would check # 2 again. Performance issues are typically what will keep you from receiving unemployment compensation.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: jjones
Yeah, I would check # 2 again. Performance issues are typically what will keep you from receiving unemployment compensation.
not true at all....

and regarding dabuddha's statement - True, but exactly how will a future employer ever see this document?

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Originally posted by: dabuddha
Originally posted by: optoman
Originally posted by: rudder
I am looking at the NJ unemployment page now... Doesn't look like I will qualify for too much... Not enough time to crunch the numbers... BAH

If its anything like Tennessee, take the $5000. Benefits max out here at $235/week.

$235/week * 52 weeks = $12220

Is that before or after taxes?

before :) but would taxes be ~59%?

Don't forget that the severance package he gets (the $5000 + two weeks) will be taxed also. So you're not comparing what's left of $12220 after taxes to a straight $5000, you're comparing it to what's left of the $5000 after taxes.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Maybe you could get "Asked me to Resign" as sort of a threat and make an arguement you were forced out like the one guy said. Would begreat if you could get their offer AND get unemployment.

If no, never resign and never sign ANYTHING when you get fired.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: jjones
not true at all....

and regarding dabuddha's statement - True, but exactly how will a future employer ever see this document?

I mean if you use these guys as a reference. But you're right. I got confused there. They won't see this document unless they do a background type check. I know when I got this job at the govt, I had to go through a thorough background check.

tkdkid

Oct 13, 2000
Also, don't forget that unemployment pay is capped too. I believe it was $5k for me in SC. I doubt you'd get $12k in a year just from unemployment.

dethman

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: rudder
I am looking at the NJ unemployment page now... Doesn't look like I will qualify for too much... Not enough time to crunch the numbers... BAH

If its anything like Tennessee, take the $5000. Benefits max out here at $235/week.

$235/week * 52 weeks = $12220

chances are you're not gonna sit on your butt for an entire year. which option is best depends on how long he expects to be unemployed for.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Well, I am going to be getting both - severance and unemployment. They are going to provide me the documentation I need to file a claim and will not protest it when I make it.

My only gripes are that I couldn't get more money and that I don't have something else lined up yet.