I got approached by the white "hey, wanna buy these speakers?" van yesterday...

McPhreak

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2000
I was walking to work and all of a sudden, this white van pulls up to me at the curb and the driver sticks his head out of the window and says "Hey, we got these speakers in the back. You interested? It's paid for and everything." and then he whips out this "receipt" with "PAID" stamped on the front in big red letters. Of course, by now everybody's heard of this scam and so I simply said no and the guy promptly sped off. I was going to tell him where he could stick those speakers, but he caught me completely offguard. I didn't realize they still do this...

What's most amazing is that they still use the same white van. You'd think by now most people have heard of this scam and that would motivate them to change the color of their van or get an entirely new car, but it's still the same one...

BTW, this was in Queens for anyone interested.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
wow those people STILL do that? man they are annoying, i thought they were trying to kidnap me the first time it happened to me in a K-Mart parking lot.. van comes speeding up, back doors open, 2 guys come out... then "hey man, wanna buy some speakers?!"

Electrode

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
you didn't get the license plate number by any chance, did you? if so, call the police. you might get some moolah in return. :)

CrowDog

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2001
This happend to my uncle that was visting from Alaska. Can someone explain the scam? Ive heard of it.....but Im unclear exactly what happened. He got 2 big, what seemed like, nice speakers for $200.

McPhreak

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by: Electrode
you didn't get the license plate number by any chance, did you? if so, call the police. you might get some moolah in return. :)

I was thinking about it, but then I figured there's probably a pending lawsuit against them right now and so they're not doing anything illegal until they've been found guilty of something.

Anyone know what the status is of all those lawsuits that were supposed to happen?

McPhreak

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by: CrowDog
This happend to my uncle that was visting from Alaska. Can someone explain the scam? Ive heard of it.....but Im unclear exactly what happened. He got 2 big, what seemed like, nice speakers for $200.

"seemed" is the key word here. They're probably worth about $50 if even that.

vash

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2001
LOL.

For some reason, I've been approached TWICE by the a guy in the white van asking if I want to buy speakers. Its like telemarketing, you just have to say no and they just go away. Their buy percentage is quite low, but I'm sure its low enough that they are still willing to try it.

vash

Blieb

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2000
Uh, I got approached by a guy in a white van who wanted to GIVE me the speakers.

He said they were leftover from some delivery, and he didn't need them ... it sounded too good to be true ... so I figured it was ... and said no thanks ...

What's the scam ya'll are talkin' about? Besides buying some POS probably ... pay 1/4 the value of the forged receipt for something worth 1/10th?

bleckywelcky

Sep 16, 2002

What's the problem? Say sure, go around back to check out the speakers, give them a quarter, pick up the speakers and walk away. Unless they blow up in your arms then you should be fine. I guess you can probably hope that they don't cap you as you walk away too :p.

-

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: McPhreak
I was walking to work and all of a sudden, this white van pulls up to me at the curb and the driver sticks his head out of the window and says "Hey, we got these speakers in the back. You interested? It's paid for and everything." and then he whips out this "receipt" with "PAID" stamped on the front in big red letters. Of course, by now everybody's heard of this scam and so I simply said no and the guy promptly sped off. I was going to tell him where he could stick those speakers, but he caught me completely offguard. I didn't realize they still do this...

What's most amazing is that they still use the same white van. You'd think by now most people have heard of this scam and that would motivate them to change the color of their van or get an entirely new car, but it's still the same one...

BTW, this was in Queens for anyone interested.

Did the guys looked all methed out? Then Along with home invaders I always have the same response 40 times..ROSSMAN..HotDeals.

They think I'm nuts and walk away.