I got a few cheapo computers, what should I do with them?

WarDemon666

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2000
one of em = dvd player and media center, other = used to download stuff, and used as a host for my xbox homebrew apps...

Any other ideas?

The dvd player is a k62 466mhz, the other is a Pentium mmx 266 mhz,, running win2k...

I have 2 more computers, a 486, that i could install a fingerprint reader to access all other computers? and i have another 266 mhz... what should I do?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
I would recycle them or give them away for free on CL to poor peeps.

I'd get nauseated trying to use something that old.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
TA seti!!!

:D

You could get some emulators and turn them into NES/SNES systems or whatever...

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
donate them... there are quite a few intercity kids that cannot afford to own a computer at all.

:)

Savarak

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2001
I always have a hesitation to install and set up my old computers... I find doing so is very inefficient that to waste so much electricity running them is not worth their function... so donate them...

The total power draw for an old pentium/k6/etc is almost as much as the power draw for a mid to top of the line p4/amd64 nowadays.. i think.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah, you should donate or part out and sell anything slower than 700 MHz at this point. Anything slower than that can't run newer applications worth anything.

Frodolives

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2001
The 466 is the only one that I'd consider keeping intact, whether for donation or otherwise. And frankly, I wouldn't even feel that I'd be helping anyone by giving them the other systems, unless it was for salvage.

Just today I was able to use an old cdrom salvaged from a freebie in order to fix up an uber cheap 533 cel pc for an old guy who just wants to play slot machine games. Sometimes I've also salvaged chipset fans for use in emergency.

Sometimes I don't want to save an aging smaller power supply, but to me it's worth taking them apart to salvage the fan from them too. You just never know :)

WarDemon666

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2000
nes idea is cool, but menh.. i have a real one :)

i dont really wanna give them away, im sure I could do something cool with it :D

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: WarDemon666
nes idea is cool, but menh.. i have a real one :)

i dont really wanna give them away, im sure I could do something cool with it :D

Well, if you're out of options, help some poor kid discover the wonders of Teh IntArw3b. :)

- M4H

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Find a wall that needs decoration. Remove boards. Hang on wall. End. If you don't want to do that, rip off the ZIF socket (They'll actually slide on and off with the right pressure) and insert a CPU. Instant really-geeky-keychain.