I got a Dell S2440L

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I just bought an S2440L last night. It's an 8 bit monitor with an MVA panel. Out of the box it had a greenish tint, especially in "standard" mode. It's better with custom color and RGB all set to 100. But I calibrated it so grey actually looks grey, and ended up with R 100, G 93, B 100. Brightness is set to 100 and contrast the default 75.

Also, I tried it with a VGA cable and it was really blurry and unusable. No settings seemed to affect that.

Pros:
Cheap - $250 from Best Buy
The glossy glass screen gives you perfectly smooth text and isn't too reflective. The clarity is great for photo postprocessing
Colors are accurate after calibration
Viewing angles better than TN
Has an audio output for HDMI

Cons: Viewing angle isn't as good as IPS. I can see slight brightness shift between the center and edge.
Not very bright. I don't understand why people use these monitors at 50% brightness
HDMI jack positioning gives you very little room for the cable. A thick one won't fit
VGA useless
Pixel grid is BGR instead of RGB, so you must calibrate ClearType properly. Why is this a con? Because some applications like FireFox don't let you set BGR

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2011
What is your question?

I have a Dell. I bought Spyder 4 to calibrate it, and now the monitor looks awesome.

hjalti8

Apr 9, 2012
thanks for the info.

I've been looking for a quality VA panel ever since I bought my dell IPS screen, I just can´t stand the IPS glow and horrible contrast on my dell.

Now this screen looks like the best VA panel out there as far as I know but I am concerned about ghosting, do you think it is ok for gaming?

hjalti8

Apr 9, 2012
You're describing TN, not IPS....

Nope, no TN panel has IPS glow, but yes they have poor contrast too. I am using Dell U2311H which got some really good reviews, so I was shocked when I noticed the ips glow which is pretty bad.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
That's e-IPS.... Technically, it's IPS, but the quality is nowhere near the S-IPS panels. It's just a minor, minor step up from TN.

hjalti8

Apr 9, 2012
That's e-IPS.... Technically, it's IPS, but the quality is nowhere near the S-IPS panels. It's just a minor, minor step up from TN.

I am no expert but last time I checked S-IPS panels had no better contrast nor black levels. And they have the same IPS glow except now its white instead of purple/blueish. Every panel has it weakness and ips panels just can´t compete when it comes to dark scenes.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I think I had accidentally deleted the part of my original post where I mentioned that it's an MVA panel.

I don't notice any ghosting in games but I'm not a big FPS gamer.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I can't solve the Cleartype issues caused by the screen being BGR. Firefox seems to use the Windows profile most of the time, but some web elements (like the photo popups on Facebook) are set to RGB so text is blurry.

Any ideas?