i got a check...and should i deposit it ?

compguy786

Platinum Member
May 26, 2005
Hey Guys
recently i have been getting bills from west virginia university citing apartment rent, and i dont even go to WVU, i only applied there and thats it, i contacted them and told them that i never went there and that i go to a comm. college in charlotte,nc. well today i got a check from them for $526.00, and im like wow, cool, i can deposit it !
i told my dad, and he said dont cash it, because 1. doesnt belong to you 2. they could put it against you
what should i do ? can they do anything, the check is in my name, and my address

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
Cash it and spend it so you can post later on about how they're sending a collection agency after you.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
write void all over it and send it back with a note saying WTF ARE YOU SENDING THIS TO ME

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
throw the check up in the air...if god thinks that you are not entitled to the money, he will keep it...if it hits the ground, it is all yours.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Seriously, I'd cash it and see how my luck turns out.

If they ever came to me asking for the money back, I have to funds to pay it...so it doesn't matter. It'd be dumb to not even take the chance. :)

compguy786

Platinum Member
May 26, 2005
yeah thats what im thinking, i dont and shouldnt have a outstanding bill because i NEVER went there, only applied, and they sent me a check ?
i mean wtf. WVU apparently has me mixed up with someone else (how dumb is WVU, anyways ?) im most likely going to tear it up.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: compguy786
yeah thats what im thinking, i dont and shouldnt have a outstanding bill because i NEVER went there, only applied, and they sent me a check ?
i mean wtf. WVU apparently has me mixed up with someone else (how dumb is WVU, anyways ?) im most likely going to tear it up.

also, do the right thing and let them know of their error so they can get the money back to the rightful owner.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Ns1
write void all over it and send it back with a note saying WTF ARE YOU SENDING THIS TO ME
Place your bets - they'll send back a letter apologizing, along with a check for $1,052.

And remember, if they charge you money by mistake, they'll make your life hell if you try to get it back.
If they send you money by mistake, they'll make your life hell if you try to keep it.
Best bet: hope they don't screw up.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Hell I'd cash it. Tell them you thought they were making up for bugging you all the time.

Just don't spend it so when they come asking for it you can write them a check back.

If it's made out to you, has your name and address and everything else, it's intended for you. It's not like you got someone else's mail or something.