I got a bottle of J.W. Green Label....

Flammable

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2007
this is my first bottle of scotch i have bought. Is it good to mix/blend with anything or should i just drink it?

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Flammable
this is my first bottle of scotch i have bought. Is it good to mix/blend with anything or should i just drink it?

uhh maybe a splash of water but just drink it straight

state 08

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2005
Get a Sweet and Sour mixer and make Whiskey Sours!!! Yummy in my (and your) tummy!

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
It is a crime against humanity to add anything but a couple of cubes of ice to a good scotch. My grandfather (a kilt wearing scotsman) would roll over in his grave if I even thought about ruining a glass of scotch by adding coke or any other mix.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
If you add ice, try to use 1 large block rather than small ones

Casawi

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 2004
Originally posted by: JohnCU
Originally posted by: Flammable

uhh maybe a splash of water but just drink it straight

Yeah that how you drink scotch.

how much did that bottle cost you? and where did you buy it from.... cause I never seen one for sale. Maybe I need to go to an up scaled liquor store.

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
You decide on green label for your first bottle ever? Talk about starting expensive! at least you didn't go blue label!

Now for the best value whiskeys (Scotch or otherwise)

1. Jameson 12yr (1L bottle = $32 at Sams, can't beat that)
2. Bushmills (750ml for around $17)
3. Makers Mark
4. Macallan 10 yr

If you've got the dough, get some 18yr Macallan!

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
With an ice cube, or a side glass of water. JWGreen was also the first 'scotch' I bought to try scotch. Since then, I have moved on to Lagavulin and Glenfiddich 15/18 as my favorites. I typically take Glenfiddich 12 or Glenlivet 12 as the scotch of choice with my Rusty Nail drinks.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Green Label is Johnny Walker's single malt. I would drink it neat or with ice. I tend to like my single malts cold with a little water to bloom the flavors, so I use a couple of ice cubes. However, I would try it neat first to get a better idea of the flavor.

R

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: rgwalt
Green Label is Johnny Walker's single malt.
R

Um, no. All JW are blends.

It is a single malt blend without any grain whiskey. Hence the 'Pure Malt' name.

Its a decent first scotch.

If you like it try an unblended single malt from Bowmore or Glenmorangie.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: D1gger
It is a crime against humanity to add anything but a couple of cubes of ice to a good scotch. My grandfather (a kilt wearing scotsman) would roll over in his grave if I even thought about ruining a glass of scotch by adding coke or any other mix.

I thought Scots were against adding ice? Or maybe that is just the Irish. I know someone gets pissed over it.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Farang

I thought Scots were against adding ice? Or maybe that is just the Irish. I know someone gets pissed over it.

You are correct. My grandfather never even added ice. He wouldn't say anything if someone added a couple of cubes, but would definitely make a comment if he say someone adding water or coke. Personally, I do like a nice scotch neat, but I prefer it with a little ice to cool it.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Farang

Depends on what temperature it is served at. I heard that scotch is served at a room temperature that is lower than what is considered "neat" temperature here in US. I have found that some water on the side helps to broaden out the flavors and helps me to appreciate the flavors more. For me, either it is 1 large ice cube or neat with a side of water.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Originally posted by: RGN
Originally posted by: rgwalt
Green Label is Johnny Walker's single malt.
R

Um, no. All JW are blends.

It is a single malt blend without any grain whiskey. Hence the 'Pure Malt' name.

Its a decent first scotch.

If you like it try an unblended single malt from Bowmore or Glenmorangie.

Checked on wiki, and I stand corrected.

R