I found someone in the witness protection program via property appraiser!

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Pretty messed up. Either Witness Protection, or a Cop/Law Enforcement person......

My wife had a house for me to look at only she didn't have the address, only the street name and the owner's first names.

My property appraiser allows you to search via a map by clicking on each lot.

I clicked on one and got (names changed to protect them if they are the real names):

Property Owners: John A. Doe and Jane A. Doe
Property Location: Confidential Record Per FS-119.07
PCN: 12-34-56-78-90-123-1234

Now with the map you can determine the address...you cannot find their record by name or address search, however if you click on the map lot or enter the actual Parcel Number you can see their information....

All it would take is driving by and taking a picture....I am sure criminals have their own "Most Wanted" lists.....

Pretty screwed up.

Å

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Pretty messed up. Either Witness Protection, or a Cop/Law Enforcement person......

My wife had a house for me to look at only she didn't have the address, only the street name and the owner's first names.

My property appraiser allows you to search via a map by clicking on each lot.

I clicked on one and got (names changed to protect them if they are the real names):

Property Owners: John A. Doe and Jane A. Doe
Property Location: Confidential Record Per FS-119.07
PCN: 12-34-56-78-90-123-1234

Now with the map you can determine the address...you cannot find their record by name or address search, however if you click on the map lot or enter the actual Parcel Number you can see their information....

All it would take is driving by and taking a picture....I am sure criminals have their own "Most Wanted" lists.....

Pretty screwed up.

Å

You know what the obvious corse of action here is right?

Take their picture and sell this information to criminals!

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
If it was witness protection they would just have a new, different idenity. Their alias would show, not "confidential"

Think about it, if some mafioso was on revenge and knew roughly where they snitch was, they'd just have to find all the "Confidentials" at the land office and visit them all.

SackOfAllTrades

Diamond Member
May 7, 2000
You've never met people named John or Jane Doe? I meet them everywhere!

Seriously though, pull up your pants and think about it...what kind of relocation program uses such famous names? True those names are odd and obviously there is a reason for such a cover up, but witness relocation programs are not that stupid.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: bernse
If it was witness protection they would just have a new, different idenity. Their alias would show, not "confidential"

Think about it, if some mafioso was on revenge and knew roughly where they snitch was, they'd just have to find all the "Confidentials" at the land office and visit them all.

doesn't work that way though...you have to have the actual parcel number or find it by clicking on the map.

A search by their name or address doesn't show anything. A search by street name doesn't show anything.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: SackOfAllTrades

Seriously though, pull up your pants and think about it...what kind of relocation program uses such famous names? True those names are odd and obviously there is a reason for such a cover up, but witness relocation programs are not that stupid.

John Doe was not the name on record....I didn't post the real names or parcel number I found.

SackOfAllTrades

Diamond Member
May 7, 2000

John Doe was not the name on record....I didn't post the real names or parcel number I found.

even if that is the case then you would think relocation agencies would MAKE SURE such errors would never occur.

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000

doesn't work that way though...you have to have the actual parcel number or find it by clicking on the map.

A search by their name or address doesn't show anything. A search by street name doesn't show anything.
I know how property searches work (My wife is a surveyor). You can just search them all over time.

It ain't WPP.

edit coding

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

I know how property searches work (My wife is a surveyor). You can just search them all over time.

It ain't WPP.

edit coding

http://www.pbcountyclerk.com/pdf/confidential.pdf

That form is for workers, WPP people also fall under that....either way, if they are supposed to be secret/confidential this is a big problem.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
well if I ever need to use it I will make sure they know about it....until then the loophole may come in handy at times.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I thought you might alert them that there's a bug.

...especially since you already outlined a scenario where people could get hurt.

SackOfAllTrades

Diamond Member
May 7, 2000
It's hard to imagine that people can be so delusional. In any case, nothing can be proven either way. If you truly believe that witness protection can be so simply exploited, then more power to you, I guess.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
It's hard to imagine that people can be so delusional. In any case, nothing can be proven either way. If you truly believe that witness protection can be so simply exploited, then more power to you, I guess.

seems to me if it was so easy exploited we would have heard about it in the news by now.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

What is so hard to believe about this? Just recently it was found out that identity thieves were mining social security numbers from public records.....it had been going on a long time before the new broke.

Blue boxes and the like went on a long time as well before widely known....

This is obviously data that is blocked if you try to select it by name or address.....the people could be just a health services worker or cop, etc. It's definitely something that is not supposed to be displayed.

Now if this was Witness Protection, I am sure the names have been changed...but if you think about it, regardless of their identities people have to register their property....being in a protection program lets you start over, not necessarily disappear all together. You get a new name, new background and new 'numbers' (DL, SS, etc)....you are still a citizen.

I am going to mess with this more, my friend is a cop and he is only renting now, however I will check out some of his buddies and see how they come up in the records. It would be interesting if these are labelled the same way and accessable through the maps.

Å

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

even if that is the case then you would think relocation agencies would MAKE SURE such errors would never occur.

What? If the witness protection program is run by the Government, what do you expect? Mistakes can, and do happen.