I found a model M!

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
In the university scrap heap -- I went by tonight for other reasons and on my way out decided to poke around in the junk heap (which I have been repeatedly welcomed to scavenge by it's maintainer) -- and under an old CRT, lo and behold there it was. Who knows if it works, or how long it's been lying outdoors in the elements, but, I couldn't resist grabbing it. :D

wetcat007

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by: us3rnotfound
Does progress happen for a reason? Or have you found a rare gem? Poll?

It happened in a way that made keyboard cheaper, not necessarily better.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Ooooooh my fingers desire to type to feel its tactile feedback and comforting keystroke clickity noises.

montypythizzle

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2006
I got a Model M at my father's house. I may trade it in for this crap Emachines KB, the only drawbacks would be an ugly beige color frame and no Windows key, which may not be a bad thing.

montypythizzle

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2006
Heh, they had a Model M in my Cisco lab class, no one else knew the power, er what it sounded like.
Let's just say they were gelus(sic).

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
I have a keyboard that is very much like it (similar layout, bulky keys with excellent auditory and tactile feedback) and its brand new :)

funkymatt

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2005
willing to part with mine... it's in good condition with all the IBM badges intact. PM me if you're interested.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Martin
I have a keyboard that is very much like it (similar layout, bulky keys with excellent auditory and tactile feedback) and its brand new :)
Yeah, some companies still make them, they're just hard to come by. There's some website out there that specializes in carrying those click-keyboards, from waaay back when, to new.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: montypythizzle
Heh, they had a Model M in my Cisco lab class, no one else knew the power, er what it sounded like.
Let's just say they were gelus(sic).
:confused:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I have a Model M keyboard at work, with a "IBM Copyright 1984 - Built in the USA" sticker on the back. I think that someone replaced the AT cable with a PS2 cable, since most IBM keyboards were AT at the time.

It's a classic, which I keep next to a PS/2 mouse and PS/2 "Built for Today, Built for Tomorrow" poster. I think of it as a shrine to retro computer goodness :)

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Mmm we use one here, my lady got it as a compromise since it has pretty much the same awesomeness as the keyboard I was going to buy, plus the sturdy retro feel.

I LOVE the Model M.

Saved me a 100 and some dollars over the DAS KEYBOARD keyboard.