I found a cell phone. Help me find its original owner.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imported_Pablo

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2002
Originally posted by: ForumMaster
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
:roll:

Call yourself from the phone & see what name shows up on Caller ID.

- M4H
it could be blocked. anyways calling on someone else's phone bill, even to return the phone, is wrong. call verizon and tell them you found the phone. they can probably figure out who it is by that. or just wait 'till some one calls. both ways. work.

WTF KIND OF ADVICE IS THAT?

If i found your phone "forummaster" I would toss it out my window on the interstate.

imported_Pablo

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2002
Originally posted by: chuckywang
Ok, I found the phone number stored in the phone. Is there a reverse lookup for Verizon?

if its a verizon phone, dial 611. They will get you in touch with the owner. Its the easiest way. There is no reverse phonenumber lookup that I know of.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Syrch
call it and see who answers! Duh!

if you call the phone you just found, the person who answers is, get this.. gonna be you ;)

chuckywang, have you looked for a 'home' or 'dad' or 'mom' stored in the phonebook? you haven't gotten back to us on that part yet.
and there is no reverse lookup for cellphones, at least every reverse lookup place charges for that feature.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Pablo

- M4H
it could be blocked. anyways calling on someone else's phone bill, even to return the phone, is wrong. call verizon and tell them you found the phone. they can probably figure out who it is by that. or just wait 'till some one calls. both ways. work.

WTF KIND OF ADVICE IS THAT?

If i found your phone "forummaster" I would remove the SIM card and sell it for profit.

Fixed :p

- M4H

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Look under recent calls and call some numbers on there from the local area code.

Then get a BJ out of it.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Syringer
Look under recent calls and call some numbers on there from the local area code.

Then get a BJ out of it.

LOL, I already found the email address. Just waiting for a response. Not only that, I also found her facebook profile.

Mucho

Oct 20, 2001
A homeless guy once found my daughter's phone and dialed DAD at 2:30 AM, he told me where he was, I got there in about 40 minutes to pick it up and gave him 20 or 30 bucks.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004

- M4H

Most will only show the number unless a name has been entered into the phone associated with that number.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: AStar617
"Phone Owner" address book entry FTW... she's smart like me :cookie:

Yep, that'a good idea. I'm going to put an entry into my cell phone like that right now.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000

Then get a BJ out of it.

LOL, I already found the email address. Just waiting for a response. Not only that, I also found her facebook profile.

Well then, the all important question is .... is she hot?
That and pics?

Also while you still have the phone program your number into it!

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: thraashman

Then get a BJ out of it.

Well then, the all important question is .... is she hot?
That and pics?

Also while you still have the phone program your number into it!

Haha, she's not hot but she's not ugly. Also, I don't think people appreciate others programming their address books.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

- M4H

- M4H

Hey, I've gotta agree with Forummaster on this one... you should definitely wait until peak hours are over and use the evening hours to make the phone call. :p :)

(I'm sure the person searching for the phone for hours will appreciate your courtesy, plus if she's cute... 9pm is a pretty good meeting time... go out for a drink or something)

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Just turn it in at a Verizon store. They'll get it back to who it belongs to.

if its a hot chic, i want to meet her first :)

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

Haha, she's not hot but she's not ugly. Also, I don't think people appreciate others programming their address books.

Agreed, but if you programmed it as "the cute guy who found and returned my cell phone"... you should get some points, just for the sense of humor..

mrchan

Diamond Member
May 18, 2000

- M4H

There will be no name, just the number....

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Just turn it in at a Verizon store. They'll get it back to who it belongs to.

That's what people did when I worked at Verizon, and what I did when I found a phone on campus. About the Verizon story, the old guy who turned it in found it on the highway. I called his work number, and according to his secretary he was in a meeting. When he called back, he had no idea what I was talking about. As far as he knew, it was still in the car after he got out of the car for work that morning. I had to have hum call his own phone number to prove that we had it and that it could not possibly be a mistake. He told me that the window was open while driiving, but he had no idea how it could have possibly got thrown out the window by accident :confused: Anyway, secretary picked it up for him, case over. For something thrown out of the car on the highway, it had only a few relatively minor scratches and still worked okay.