I found a cell phone. Help me find its original owner.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
After my math class today, I found a Verizon cell phone lying around outside a large lecture hall. It was in a very busy area (students entering and leaving). What is the best way to find out the name/email address of the owner? I want to email whoever it is and ask them to confirm what kind of cell phone it is before returning it to them.

EDIT: I found the phone number stored in the phone. Is there a reverse lookup for Verizon?

EDIT: Wow, this girl has an entry in her address book called "Me" with her email address listed. I just emailed her and am waiting for a response.

EDIT: We met, I returned cell phone. /thread.

dawnbug

Golden Member
Oct 29, 2002
Wait for the phone to ring and then ask whoever's calling who the phone belongs to? I don't know if there's any other way to find out who it belongs to.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Hmm...I don't really want to go through the personal address book in the phone. I'll just do it as a last resort.

talyn00

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2003
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
:roll:

Call yourself from the phone & see what name shows up on Caller ID.

- M4H

name doesnt show on caller id. (at least when i try with my phone)

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: chuckywang
Hmm...I don't really want to go through the personal address book in the phone. I'll just do it as a last resort.

I doubt that they'd care about you going thru their address book. :confused:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: chuckywang

i don't know about anyone else, but i have a entry in my phonebook that says home and its my house number.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
The name and current email addresses of all cell phones are embeded in the phonebook. Just go into the menus and look up the "Owner's Name and Information Here" entry.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: talyn00

- M4H

name doesnt show on caller id. (at least when i try with my phone)

Varies by provider. It's a start, at least. :p

- M4H

Trikat

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Just go through the address book, because i'm sure the person would be glad to get her phone back asap.

Nov 5, 2001
yeah, look for a HOME entry in the address book, or MOM or DAD, etc....then call it. If I lost my phone I'd be ecstatic if someone called to return it.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005

- M4H
it could be blocked. anyways calling on someone else's phone bill, even to return the phone, is wrong. call verizon and tell them you found the phone. they can probably figure out who it is by that. or just wait 'till some one calls. both ways. work.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
The person who owns it is probably looking for it on eBay. Put it up there and wait for them to bid.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: ForumMaster

- M4H
it could be blocked. anyways calling on someone else's phone bill, even to return the phone, is wrong. call verizon and tell them you found the phone. they can probably figure out who it is by that. or just wait 'till some one calls. both ways. work.

- M4H

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Go through the phone book and look for an entry like 'home' and call it...

Or call the first person on the list and let them know the situation, how them to how to reach the owner

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
If you remove the battery, it'll have a serial number listed. Verizon knows this number and who it's registered to...with billing address etc...

rocadelpunk

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
even better

you could use the speeddial shortcuts

like 02, 03, 04 or whatever and see what names come up.

whomever is on speed dial is probably someone who could help

unless it's like donatos...but even then.