I forgot how phyiscal football can be

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I run a few miles 5 days a week, I bike quite a bit, and I lift pretty hard 3 days a week. But none of that helped me yesterday.

I got recruited to help fill the injury caused voids on my buddies flag football team. They had a double header yesterday and only had 5 guys to fill 6 positions.

Before we even started our first game I tweaked my left quad practicing some passing routes. By the third play of the first game I had tweaked my other quad, and by the 5th play I bent back the toenails on both of my big toes.

And I still had a full 1 & 3/4 of another game to play :(

So today I've got two purple big toes that will have the nails probably fall off, both quads screaming at me, a welt on my chest that's noticable under my shirt.

Even playing injured and running at half speed we only lost our first game by 1 point and I scored a TD in the second game to help win by a point.

So it wasn't a totally bad day. Good thing there's some Vicodin and Flexeril in the medicine cabinet :)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
clip your toenails and stretch before the game next time.

The toenails happened because I was borrowing a set of cleats that were too small for me. I dug in and just jammed everything back.

Stretching wouldn't have helped either...my body is just used to going in a straight line (running & biking) and cutting was a foreign movement :p

snoopdoug1

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: vi_edit

Before we even started our first game I tweaked my left quad practicing some passing routes. By the third play of the first game I had tweaked my other quad, and by the 5th play I bent back the toenails on both of my big toes.

Same thing happened to me multiple times on my flag football team this year... man that sucks :)

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
clip your toenails and stretch before the game next time.

exactly...

and WARM STRETCHING DOES HELP...as a fitness person you should know this...NEVER NEGLECT YOUR FLEXIBILITY....NEVER EVER.....

i love big weight heads that never stretch...

esp as you get older...it is a must.....

jC

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
heh, you think that's bad, try actual football. and if you think THAT'S bad, then try snow football. it's almost time for some snow football here in Maine :p so painful. i've managed to break two ribs, my nose and get bruises everywhere possible. damn it's fun

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
we play a game of tackle football every thanksgiving with the people i used to work with (been doing it for like 10 years). i didn't play last year cause I broke my ankle in January that year, but I plan on playing this year for sure.

and man ... just getting out of the car after we play is tough. showering is a chore as well. and man after eating at thanksgiving dinner later on in the night, i don't even want to get up.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Are you probable for next week, or should I move to you the bench on my fantasy team?

:p

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: purbeast0
we play a game of tackle football every thanksgiving with the people i used to work with (been doing it for like 10 years). i didn't play last year cause I broke my ankle in January that year, but I plan on playing this year for sure.

and man ... just getting out of the car after we play is tough. showering is a chore as well. and man after eating at thanksgiving dinner later on in the night, i don't even want to get up.

Turkey Bowls are vicious.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: purbeast0

Turkey Bowls are vicious.

holy ish your statement you just typed is something i would say 110% the same way hah.

:beer:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
Are you probable for next week, or should I move to you the bench on my fantasy team?

:p

HA! I would say my status would be "Doubtful" at this point with a possible upgrade to "Questionable". :D

The last time I laced up a pair of cleats was over 12 years ago. I played football in high school for a couple years before switching to cross country.

The 20k races I used to do and the 15 mile long runs had nothing on the pain I'm feeling this morning. Since I was gimped up and couldn't run, I got stuck on pass blocking and turning around for the dump pass.

It's futile trying to block a guy that outweighs you by a solid 30-40 pounds and has a 3 yard running start at you.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
No matter how hard I trained and how fit I was, there was never a rugby game after which I did not feel (and look) like pulverized hamburger.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Tonight I get the pleasure of having my wife lance my toenails with a red hot sewing needle to relieve some of the pressure under them.

Yeehaw!

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Originally posted by: sash1
heh, you think that's bad, try actual football. and if you think THAT'S bad, then try snow football. it's almost time for some snow football here in Maine

Ahhhh - I love this time of year. Snow football + Turkey Bowl = happy me. I actually like the aches and pains that come from it

Syrch

Diamond Member
May 21, 2004
you just gave me the inspiration i needed to go to the gym, thanks man :)

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
I wish I still had friends around here to play football with...I always miss playing when the weather turns cold.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Always always stretch before you play, and always always cut all your nails as short as possible,

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
there's something about toenails being torn off that i just can't handle. just makes me cringe. I hate sitting around barefoot because of this.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Tonight I get the pleasure of having my wife lance my toenails with a red hot sewing needle to relieve some of the pressure under them.

Yeehaw!

Now thats love...

R