I find it amazing what some people consider "appropriate" attire

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: aphex
Sitting here in Panera, and two ladies walk in wearing bikini's with t-shirts covering their top, and basically just swim bottoms on the bottom half.

Not complaining, just a mere observation.

They had obviously just been to the beach, but don't you think its appropriate to put on shorts or something? It literally looks like they are just walking around in their panties.

Sorry, no pics (yes I fail), they are already sitting down.

How would you have felt about two guys in speedos?

I may buy a speedo this year just because I hate how long mens swim suits have gotten. They must weigh 5 pounds when they are wet.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: BoomerD
I don't have any problem watching teh hotties in bikinis walk around beach towns...after all, they are BEACH TOWNS. As others have said, it might be inappropriate in downtown NYC or Chicago, but not someplace that attracts tourists for the beaches...

I guess I'm old school, because I'm CONSTANTLY amazed at how the youngers are dressing to go to college. Maybe you don't need to be "dressed up" for school, hell, when it's warm enough, I wear <gasp> jean shorts, t-shirt, and sandals or flip-flops, but it seems like 1/3 of the young folks I see are wearing what could easily be considered pajamas, another 1/3 wear the odd-ball "goth" garb, while the remaining 1/2 (thanks Yogi Berra :D ) wear a mix of more normal attire...

WTF makes people think school is a place where you go dressed like a pig or like you just crawled out of bed?

I used to agree with you till they day I found myself standing in line at the bank..the PJ pants were fine,lol,the brown micro fleece slippers...not so good :)

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
I don't have any problem watching teh hotties in bikinis walk around beach towns...after all, they are BEACH TOWNS. As others have said, it might be inappropriate in downtown NYC or Chicago, but not someplace that attracts tourists for the beaches...

I guess I'm old school, because I'm CONSTANTLY amazed at how the youngers are dressing to go to college. Maybe you don't need to be "dressed up" for school, hell, when it's warm enough, I wear <gasp> jean shorts, t-shirt, and sandals or flip-flops, but it seems like 1/3 of the young folks I see are wearing what could easily be considered pajamas, another 1/3 wear the odd-ball "goth" garb, while the remaining 1/2 (thanks Yogi Berra :D ) wear a mix of more normal attire...

WTF makes people think school is a place where you go dressed like a pig or like you just crawled out of bed?

I go to class in pajamas all the time. It's a lecture, not a fucking cocktail party. When you've got an 8 AM lecture and you wake up at 7:50, you don't really think much about putting something in. 10 minutes -> car -> parking -> 5 minutes late to class. See? No time for "shower" or "clothes".

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: hanoverphist
Originally posted by: KMFJD
Would it have been ok if it was a guy wearing a tank top and speedo's?

thats never ok. ever.

speak for yourself. :evil:

i was. i cant pull off the speedo look in any situation, and frankly i dont wanna see a bunch of speedo wearing guys while im eating lunch. but that may be due to me not being gay. for you? cool, i can see the draw. lets just agree to split the speedo and bikini wearers to opposite sides of the restaurant so we can all eat without that little bit of vomit running up our throats.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

thats never ok. ever.

i was. i cant pull off the speedo look in any situation, and frankly i dont wanna see a bunch of speedo wearing guys while im eating lunch. but that may be due to me not being gay. for you? cool, i can see the draw. lets just agree to split the speedo and bikini wearers to opposite sides of the restaurant so we can all eat without that little bit of vomit running up our throats.

i don't know why some guys think only gay guys can admit another guy looks good. i can admit when another woman looks good. i am not gay.
i am not saying you need to advertise that another guy looks good, but it shouldn't make you think that you'll lose some of your manliness if you can admit to a truthful observation.

if some good looking women came into a restaurant dressed as the OP has described it wouldn't ruin my lunch unless their bodies were bulging out or flowing over their clothing.

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004

thats never ok. ever.

i don't know why some guys think only gay guys can admit another guy looks good. i can admit when another woman looks good. i am not gay.
i am not saying you need to advertise that another guy looks good, but it shouldn't make you think that you'll lose some of your manliness if you can admit to a truthful observation.

if some good looking women came into a restaurant dressed as the OP has described it wouldn't ruin my lunch unless their bodies were bulging out or flowing over their clothing.

It is because the guys you speak of are in denial about their gayness. The temptation is too much for them.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

thats never ok. ever.

I can admit when a guy looks good (not in a sexual sense obviously), but when it comes to a speedo I really don't want to look at another guy's balls bulging through his thong-like underwear. That's just disgusting. Same effect as a fat girl in a bikini, only greater in magnitude. Plus, there's no need to wear that unless you're on a sports team that requires it. (ie: swim team), so most guys who wear that stuff are considered gay.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

Simple. It is what a lot of people prefer to do and there are zero negative consequences. I did for 5 years straight with no issue and there were tens of thousands like me. The way I look at it is that college only happens once and freedoms like these will not be available again so why not get it out of your system and enjoy it if you want to?

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
I agree with the OP when he says women should cover themselves up in thick black rags, and sunglasses to mask their nude eyes.

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
What makes people think that there is any sort of public dress code other then the laws against nudity? There are strict rules that explain what can and cannot be shown in public. People are only truly bound by laws. The ethics that you use to pad yourself even more in your cozy little bubble is your own doing. The people that understand that its no big deal will live longer.

MegaVovaN

Diamond Member
May 20, 2005
As for Speedos, they are alright. I was in an elite swim team for several years, and all guys wore Speedos, to decrease water drag. I ceased to notice anything wrong with them. Girls in wet, tight (and sometimes well worn) swim suits was such an everyday occurrence (5 days a week, 2 hrs a day) that I stopped noticing it too.

Feb 6, 2007

My female friends in college were constantly going to class in their pajamas, complete with fuzzy slippers. One of the girls in a class I had freshman year came to class (at 3 in the afternoon mind you) wearing only an American flag. Not a dress/skirt/muumuu with flag print. No, she had just taken a flag, wrapped it around her chest, and had it dangling down. It wasn't even a National Holiday, it was just some chick in a flag. She got some odd looks, but no one said anything... but what can you say to that? "I used get all my clothes outside the library too" or "Hey, it's the Patchouli Patriot!" or "Looks like someone lost a bet..." Maybe you put your hand across your heart and start reciting the pledge of allegiance, then stop after the first line and say "when the pledge of allegiance is being read, it is customary to hold the flag high." Sure, you might get hit, but it's all in good fun. And if you can't take people looking at you or making jokes, maybe you shouldn't be walking around wearing only a flag...

For the record, I never went out in anything less than jeans/shorts. But then again, my "pajamas" are considered "indecent" because I tend to sleep "nude." Although our campus actually allowed nudity pretty much anywhere, so I guess if it weren't so damn cold here all the time, it would've been fine.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: MegaVovaN
As for Speedos, they are alright. I was in an elite swim team for several years, and all guys wore Speedos, to decrease water drag. I ceased to notice anything wrong with them. Girls in wet, tight (and sometimes well worn) swim suits was such an everyday occurrence (5 days a week, 2 hrs a day) that I stopped noticing it too.

so both the guys and girls ignored you?

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy

My female friends in college were constantly going to class in their pajamas, complete with fuzzy slippers. One of the girls in a class I had freshman year came to class (at 3 in the afternoon mind you) wearing only an American flag. Not a dress/skirt/muumuu with flag print. No, she had just taken a flag, wrapped it around her chest, and had it dangling down. It wasn't even a National Holiday, it was just some chick in a flag. She got some odd looks, but no one said anything... but what can you say to that? "I used get all my clothes outside the library too" or "Hey, it's the Patchouli Patriot!" or "Looks like someone lost a bet..." Maybe you put your hand across your heart and start reciting the pledge of allegiance, then stop after the first line and say "when the pledge of allegiance is being read, it is customary to hold the flag high." Sure, you might get hit, but it's all in good fun. And if you can't take people looking at you or making jokes, maybe you shouldn't be walking around wearing only a flag...

For the record, I never went out in anything less than jeans/shorts. But then again, my "pajamas" are considered "indecent" because I tend to sleep "nude." Although our campus actually allowed nudity pretty much anywhere, so I guess if it weren't so damn cold here all the time, it would've been fine.

Was she hawt?

Feb 6, 2007
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124

Was she hawt?

Of course not, she was a hippie. Actually, she wasn't bad for a hippie, because it was still early in the semester, but definitely a hippie. I'm fairly certain it's illegal to desecrate a flag with your pit-dreads.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124

Was she hawt?

Of course not, she was a hippie. Actually, she wasn't bad for a hippie, because it was still early in the semester, but definitely a hippie. I'm fairly certain it's illegal to desecrate a flag with your pit-dreads.

:vomit; (we really need one of those), say no more :|