I finally pay my internet bill. Lose all connection for an hour.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Good job, Comcast.

Its not like my TV and home phone go thru the same connection too.

Oh wait........

BarkingGhostar

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2009
This evening AT&T pushed a software update to my Uverse residential gateway. Only problem it is wouldn't see the WAN link as being up. Since my ONT is on the inside of my basement, I go verify it is up. I tried to soft reset it from within the sw, but that did nothing. Then I remembered what someone told me a couple of years ago about this Pace 5268AC, power cycle it. Bam, back up. So, I think the software update should have included a power cycle, but they just wait for the customer to ... wait for it ... power it off and back on again.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I have meh DSL now. If comcast came out here I'd stay on the DSL. I won't say I'd go to dial up but I'll take any other passable option rather than deal with their billing department ever again.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I use a prepaid hotspot just so I don't have to use comcast. I bought a modem and everything, but couldn't bring myself to sign up for service with them.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I must admit, when I had Comcast, they treated me well. They couldn't compete with Fios though, so I switched. Now Comcast has a 2Gbps plan, but the price for it is nuts.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I must admit, when I had Comcast, they treated me well. They couldn't compete with Fios though, so I switched. Now Comcast has a 2Gbps plan, but the price for it is nuts.
It doesnt matter. They throttle when I'm torrenting. They won't admit it, but they do.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Did you try using a VPN?
Both with and without a VPN. Throttled.
And a VPN doesnt matter. It wont hide your activity from your ISP. They're the ones feeding YOU the data, they know what you're doing. They just dont care.
Its the other guy who cares and he cant see you because of the VPN, so he doesnt know which ISP to contact.

Encrypting your torrents would hide what files you are getting and sending, but torrent traffic is easy to identify. They still know what you are doing but not what the files are. Also, you'd need people on both ends to agree to the encryption and not enough people do that.

Nov 8, 2012
Both with and without a VPN. Throttled.
And a VPN doesnt matter. It wont hide your activity from your ISP. They're the ones feeding YOU the data, they know what you're doing. They just dont care.
Its the other guy who cares and he cant see you because of the VPN, so he doesnt know which ISP to contact.

Encrypting your torrents would hide what files you are getting and sending, but torrent traffic is easy to identify. They still know what you are doing but not what the files are. Also, you'd need people on both ends to agree to the encryption and not enough people do that.
Wait, your isp can see what you're doing behind a VPN?

Thought the premise of a VPN is essentially they forward your connection on to the intended destination.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Wait, your isp can see what you're doing behind a VPN?

Thought the premise of a VPN is essentially they forward your connection on to the intended destination.
OK I dont think enough people know how this works. Your computer, your router, your modem, your home, ONLY talks to your internet service provider. No one else.
Anything you get in the Information Super Highway comes to you thru your ISP.
As a general rule, they dont track what you are doing, they dont even care. The only time they'll even contact you about something is if a copyright holder gets your IP address and sends a complaint to your ISP. As a rule your ISP does not give up your personal information without a warrant or court order, which rarely happens.
A VPN is just another step between you and the rest of the world, AFTER you get thru your ISP. It offers one additional layer of protection.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
The point of the VPN really is that all the ISP sees is you have connected to the VPN servers, and the amount of bandwidth between them. The connection is encrypted so they can't analyze the traffic further than that. But the ISP doesn't really know what you're doing beyond that you've connected to another server (which they may know is a VPN service). There are DNS leak concerns but that is a configuration issue.

ASK THE COMMUNITY