I finally got my gateway laptop to work correctly

BirdDad

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2004
they did something to the OS,I got a new HD and installed fresh XP and it does not throttle anymore

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
It is called speedstep. The CPU would slow down when idle to save power and heat, and speed up when more power is needed. When you reloaded the OS you removed the driver that controlled it so now it is at full speed all the time. This will then make your laptop run warmer and battery life shorter.

BirdDad

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2004
Good I want it to run at full speed when I have it set to always on thats what I was griping about in the first place it wouldn't no matter what the power settings were on in windows and it was making my games unplayable they were so choppy

SexyK

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2001
Were you actually monitoring the CPU speed while you were gaming? Chances are the CPU was running at full speed while you were in game then when you exited to windows speedstep was kicking in again. However, if you notice a difference in your gaming, than more power to you.

BirdDad

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2004
I notice a HUGE difference
cpu-z is repoting that the cpu is consistant @1994MHz even without any games running,when I do run a game it is smooth