I feel selfish and horrible

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
I have plenty of money in the bank, and all my bills are paid. I go to work 5 days a week. I take care of my dogs. My car runs good. I have a few credit cards with high limits, and they are not being used.
But even so, every single time I ever think about spending money on myself, I feel horrible and selfish, like something might happen so I should keep it all just in case.
I won't buy things because I feel like I should horde all my money in the bank. It's becoming almost obsessive.

Anyone else feel this way? I figure it's not normal but it's not a bad thing.

/hands Anandtech a sharp stick to poke him with

flamingelephant

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
I have plenty of money in the bank, and all my bills are paid. I go to work 5 days a week. I take care of my dogs. My car runs good. I have a few credit cards with high limits, and they are not being used.
But even so, every single time I ever think about spending money on myself, I feel horrible and selfish, like something might happen so I should keep it all just in case.
I won't buy things because I feel like I should horde all my money in the bank. It's becoming almost obsessive.

takes sharp stick and BEATS THE LIVING HECK OUT OF YOU WITH IT!!!!!

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Having restraint against impulse buys is a very good thing, but you can take it too far. You have to find a balance between being financially responsible and buying something just for yourself every now and then.

Oct 9, 1999
you're a penny pincher. nothing wrong with that. you have money you can spend if needed too so that's good.

but....currently my checking account isn't speaking to me, if you wanna help heal my relationship with it, send 100.00$ to derrickfperry@gmail.com via paypal please.

Thanks and have a good day

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Having restraint against impulse buys is a very good thing, but you can take it too far. You have to find a balance between being financially responsible and buying something just for yourself every now and then.

The thing is, I am getting back some money for my tax refund, and I just got back a few rebate checks. I want to spend them on something I want, but don't need, like upgrading my PC or a new MP3 player, but I won't.
If I do, I will take the stuff back. It will rack my nerves until I do.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001

how exactly does hoarding your money make you not horrible and not selfish, as opposed to spending it?

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002
i hate spending on myself. i have no problems spending on my friends and family, but i get that sinking feeling when i spend more than 20 on myself. well, except for the weekly poker game.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
IBut even so, every single time I ever think about spending money on myself, I feel horrible and selfish, like something might happen so I should keep it all just in case.
That's probably why you have money in the bank, your bills are paid and you have little CC debt. If more people were like you they'd be much better off.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: gopunk

how exactly does hoarding your money make you not horrible and not selfish, as opposed to spending it?

I feel that saving it is better. That way I can spend it on things I need when they come along, instead of things I just want.

Might need money for = Car stuff, Traffic Tickets, Hospital Bills etc...
Want = MP3 Player, PC Upgrades, New Clothes, New Shoes etc..

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002

The thing is, I am getting back some money for my tax refund, and I just got back a few rebate checks. I want to spend them on something I want, but don't need, like upgrading my PC or a new MP3 player, but I won't.

That is a problem dude. What good is making all that extra money if you don't spend it. There is nothing wrong with putting away a certain percentage of it for future endeavors, security, or your children's inheritance, but otherwise, you're needlessly neglecting yourself. Have some fun. that's just my .02.

Rookie

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2000
PM me for my paypal address... I accept donations :thumbsup:

But seriously, that's not a good behavior

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: shimsham
i hate spending on myself. i have no problems spending on my friends and family, but i get that sinking feeling when i spend more than 20 on myself. well, except for the weekly poker game.

Same here. But I don't like to gamble in any way.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
wow, you have issues.... deep seeded issues from your childhood.

don't be afraid to spend money on yourself. just don't be frivolous.

ragazzo

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2002

you need a high maintenance gf. problem solved.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: PricklyPete

That is a problem dude. What good is making all that extra money if you don't spend it. There is nothing wrong with putting away a certain percentage of it for future endeavors, security, or your children's inheritance, but otherwise, you're needlessly neglecting yourself. Have some fun. that's just my .02.

Probably will never have children.
I am glad I get presents from X-Mas and Bdays. If not I would have no new anything.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

Yep. There is such a thing as compulsive saving, I think, and it can be a huge problem for many people.