I feel like goober but i don't know what kind of p4 i have.. help an old fart out..

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
I got a P4-2ghz (1.50volts) The motherboard is a ASUS P4S533, i think the ram is not anything special probably DDR-200 since it was bought at a clone shop.

After having a duron 600 for the last yum years, it appears overclocking has got more complex.

I set the FSB to 110/36 (or close) and upped the voltage from 1.500 to 1.550 in the bios.

Someone give me a clue on the overclockability (reasonable) of this type of cpu.

10% is alright but if i can extract 20% that would rock. I don't understand how the memory works. My last board was a KT7 or some old sdr pc-100 junk.

So if you don't mind giving me some clues because its been so long since i've had a new boxen, i'm just gonna have to learn this all over again.

The various p4's i understand northwood, and what new but how the heck do i find out what i have?

okay here's what sisoft says:

SiSoftware Sandra

Processor(s)
Model : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
Co-Processor (FPU) : Not installed
Speed : 2.21GHz
Performance Rating : PR2426 (estimated)
Type : Standard
Packaging : FC µPGA478
Rated Speed/FSB : 2000MHz / 4x 100MHz
Multiplier : 20x
Generation : 7th (7x86)
Model Information : P4N (Northwood) Pentium 4 1.6-3G 1.5V
Revision/Stepping : 2 / 4 (9)
Stepping Mask : B0

Caches
Internal Data Cache : 8kB ECC synchronous write-back (4-way, 64 byte line size)
Internal Trace Cache : 12kµops ECC synchronous write-back (8-way, 64 byte line size)
L2 On-board Cache : 512kB ECC synchronous ATC (8-way, 64 byte line size)
L2 Cache Multiplier : 1/1x (equiv. 2205MHz)

Host Interface
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 110MHz (440MHz data rate)

Mainboard Upgradeability
Socket/Slot : PGA 478
Upgrade Interface : ZIF Socket
Supported Speed(s) : 2.40GHz (or more)
Supported Voltage(s) : 1.5V

Features
Co-Processor (FPU) Built-in : Yes
Virtual Mode Extensions : Yes
Debugging Extension : Yes
Page Size Extension : Yes
Time Stamp Counter : Yes
Model Specific Registers : Yes
Physical Address Extension : Yes
Machine Check Exception : Yes
Compare & Exchange Instruction : Yes
Local APIC Built-in : Yes
Fast System Call : Yes
Memory Type Range Registers : Yes
Page Global Enable : Yes
Machine Check Architecture : Yes
Conditional Move Instruction : Yes
Page Attribute Table : Yes
36-bit Page Size Extension : Yes
Unique Serial Number : No
Cache Line Flush Support : Yes
Debug Trace & EMON Store : Yes
ACPI Technology : Yes
MMX Technology : Yes
Fast Float Save & Restore : Yes
SSE Technology : Yes
SSE2 Technology : Yes
Self Snoop : Yes
Hyper-Threading Technology : No
Auto Clock Control : Yes
IA-64 Technology : No
DAZ Support : Yes

Advanced Settings
Data Error Checking : No
Fast Strings : Yes
x86 FPU Compatibility Mode : No
Prefetch Queue : Yes
Branch Trace Storage : Yes
In Order Queue Depth : 12 req(s)
Thermal Monitor Enabled : No

Machine Check Architecture Settings
No. Reporting Banks : 4 bank(s)
Extended Machine Check Support : Yes
No. Extended Reporting Banks : 12 bank(s)

Performance Tips
Warning W222 : CPU speed higher than rated speed! Reduce CPU speed.
Tip T210 : Mainboard supports faster CPUs, so the CPU can be upgraded when needed.
Notice N224 : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.
Tip T2 : For more information about tips, press F1 and scroll to the Tips section.

EKAtBzboyz

Nov 1, 2002
you have a northwood
their default vcore is 1.5

if in fact ram is ddr200, i would say that is by far biggest limiting factor
maybe you should upgrade that to some pc2700-pc3200

what you should do, is up the fsb until it wont boot, thenup the vcore (otherwise you are adding voltage for no reason)

be careful about the temps tho
use asus pcprobe or motherboard monitor 5 to check them

//edit
try to get to 133fsb if you have automatic pci dividers kicking in at that speed
but it think for you, you have selectable ratios right?

try to adjust them accordingly whenver possible

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
i have no idea its set to 1:1 but theres like 3:4 and other ratios i'm not sure if thats fsb or ram or what. These damn boards have gotten complicated since the ole p3/amd sdram days.

How would i find out what kind of ram i have?

CrazySaint

Platinum Member
May 3, 2002
The best way to tell what kind of RAM you have is to take a look at it and see what it says on the chips, if you can't tell by looking what the markings on the chips means, then write down the information and report it here. If you RAM is really PC200, then you're pretty well stuck as far as any OC'ing with it is concerned. But the RAM isn't the only thing you have going against your OC success, for one thing, your P4S533 doesn't have PCI/AGP locks, meaning that overclocking your CPU will cause your PCI/AGP busses to run out of spec unless you can get the CPU to run at 133MHz FSB which should enable the 4/1 dividers, but then you have your third problem: The CPU. While Northwood P4s in general tend to OC very well, the ones with high multipliers, like the 2.0 are relatively poor OC'ers - particularly when paired with a board like the P4S533. In order to OC it and still have the PCI/AGP busses in spec, would be to run it at 133MHz FSB, which would run the CPU at 2.66GHz which is in no way guaranteed, although if its a very recent chip (September or more recent pack date) then you stand a decent chance. Since "inching" up to 133MHz FSB would be risky without PCI/AGP lock (an FSB of 125 would run the PCI/AGP busses 25% out of spec! :Q), your best bet would probably be to up the voltage setting in the BIOS to about 1.6v (which should report as around 1.65v in Windows) and just jump directly to 133MHz FSB and see if you can boot into Windows. You should also boost your RAM voltage a notch if you find out that its DDR200 and not DDR266. If you can boot into Windows, run some stability tests like Prime95 for a couple hours and see if you get any errors or crashes. If not, then you're ok. If you do, then you need to boost your vcore another notch, but don't go over 1.65v in BIOS (~1.7v actual) or you could fry your CPU. If you can't even load Windows at 1.6/1.65v (BIOS/actual) then boost the vcore to 1.65/1.7v (BIOS/actual) and see what you can do.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
You have the b0 stepping chip which is good...If you had the SLxxx code we could tell if it was an early b0 stepping chip...I would think 133fsb is a real possibilty for you with a vcore of 1.7v or under.

The key with that asus mobo is try to get to 133fsb cause it lacks an agp/pci lock and things will get out of spec and stability may be hard to hold past 120fsb...that will put pci levels at 40mhz and that is a bit high for most components and HDD's to take for extended periods...

Get to 133fsb and dump that ddr200 as it will hold you back...I don't think the 4:3 multiplier sticks aorund at 133fsb so you will have to run 1:1 for 266mhz or greater and thus will need better ram....