I feel kinda bad, I think I just killed a nest full of baby birds

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Well, some birds decided to build a nest in my dryer vent, inside the hose right where it comes out the side of the building. They've probably been in and out of there for at least a week, and I was sick of it. You could hear them in there whenever you walked into the laundry room, and whenever you turned on the dryer, birds would fly out.

So I decided to get rid of them, and Pulled the hose apart. And there's a little nest in there with three little eggs.

Pic. (eggs are hard to see, but they're speckled brown)

I guess they're pretty fvcked now. Is there anything I could do with them, or are they just goners at this point, and I should just throw them away?

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
In order to make an omelette, you have to break some eggs. :p

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
put te nest in the nearest tree and hope for the best. Try not to touch the eggs though, and if you have a pair of gloves use them. The least amount of human contact the better. The nest needs to be moved some place close, but it needs to be up so no other animals will destroy it. There is a good chance that they are gonna die anyway... but at least you can try.

cruzer

Dec 30, 2001
I have the same problem, there is a spring loaded, hinged metal flap that covers the exterior side of the vent when the dryer is not blowing air out, but the birds just stick their beak in, force the flap open and manage to come and go when they please, build nests, etc.
How do I attach chicken wire to stucco, some kind of glue?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Throw them away. They are probably close to hatching though, we have a nest in one of our hanging plants on the patio and the eggs have hatched and there are two little baby birds out there. They aren't making much noise yet. Probably a week or so more and they'll be gone anyway.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
One more pic, with a better view.

There are actually 4 eggs, not three.

I have a feeling that even if I had left them alone, the likelyhood of them hatching was pretty low, I doubt the exhaust from the dryer is healthy for bird eggs.

I'll probably just throw them away.

jerryjg

Banned
Jul 2, 2005
You sick sadistic bird murderer think off the grieving mother and those beautiful chirping newborns that will never have a chance at life .Hope this helps

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
Put them outside somewhere near to the vent and hope for the best. Contrary to popular belief, a bird will not abandon her eggs or young if a human has touched them, so there's a chance they could still grow up to be successful adult birdies.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: jerryjg
You sick sadistic bird murderer think off the grieving mother and those beautiful chirping newborns that will never have a chance at life .Hope this helps

YEAH!

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001
Try to make a makeshift nest somewhere nearby and hope the parent birds see them. They dont abandon the eggs if you touch them.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
hmm, they're pretty good in sushi... even thou you're suppose to use quail eggs....
make youself a Ikura (salmon roe roll?) and crack one egg on top....

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Put it back. It's a myth that birds just abandon their young when someone touches them.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
Put it back. It's a myth that birds just abandon their young when someone touches them.

I'd rather kill them than give up my ability to dry clothes until they feel like moving out.
Anyway, I put the nest outside, but it blew away in the wind. The eggs didn't blow away though, they were sitting right where I left the nest, so I took them back inside cause they're kinda cool looking. I don't think they have a snowball's chance in hell of hatching now, though.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: notfred

I'd rather kill them than give up my ability to dry clothes until they feel like moving out.

At least put it up in a tree or something, out of the reach of predators.

FleshLight

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2004
Originally posted by: notfred

At least put it up in a tree or something, out of the reach of predators.

That way they can die a peaceful death through cannibalism and/or starvation =)