I fear Diablo III coming out!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: RollWave
Originally posted by: Calculator83
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
Starcraft 2 is the end of me.

Dude we all know it is not going to live up to expectations. But I suppose that will not deter in essence,, ALLLLL BUYERS. Even grand mothers in korea will buy these for their new born grand children.

Are you kidding me? W2 improved on W1 and W3 improved W2 by leaps and bounds. SC2 is going to blow up the RTS world...if only they would've implemented heros like in W3...

Improved, sure.... but the RTS genre has been revolutionized with recent hits Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander, and World in Conflict... among other great games. From what they've shown, Starcraft 2 appears to be more of the same with a few new possible features. People are going to buy it up because they loved Starcraft so much, but I have a feeling a lot of people are merely going to play it because it'll be a modern refresh. Something similar to Counterstrike to CS:Source. Evolutionary, not revolutionary.
I think modern games should be evolutionary from the current RTS market, not evolutionary of past times. We don't need rehashes of former glory games, because those people can still play that. I hate when they just rehash old things all the time. Every now and then its okay, but...

I think Guild Wars was the perfect upgrade from the Diablo and Battle.net scheme. Arena Net did a damn good job with the that game. Looking forward to Guild Wars 2, even though I haven't played the original in a long while. Don't even have any of the campaigns or the expansion pack.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001

yep, good thing i'm graduating soon, i'll have more time to play, and less guilt since i won't be neglecting my studies :D

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
If it comes out, I'll probably buy it during release week so I can start hording and selling early.

I made about $1000 bucks on D2 selling items.

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: destrekor
Originally posted by: RollWave
Originally posted by: Calculator83

Dude we all know it is not going to live up to expectations. But I suppose that will not deter in essence,, ALLLLL BUYERS. Even grand mothers in korea will buy these for their new born grand children.

Are you kidding me? W2 improved on W1 and W3 improved W2 by leaps and bounds. SC2 is going to blow up the RTS world...if only they would've implemented heros like in W3...

Improved, sure.... but the RTS genre has been revolutionized with recent hits Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander, and World in Conflict... among other great games. From what they've shown, Starcraft 2 appears to be more of the same with a few new possible features. People are going to buy it up because they loved Starcraft so much, but I have a feeling a lot of people are merely going to play it because it'll be a modern refresh. Something similar to Counterstrike to CS:Source. Evolutionary, not revolutionary.
I think modern games should be evolutionary from the current RTS market, not evolutionary of past times. We don't need rehashes of former glory games, because those people can still play that. I hate when they just rehash old things all the time. Every now and then its okay, but...

I think Guild Wars was the perfect upgrade from the Diablo and Battle.net scheme. Arena Net did a damn good job with the that game. Looking forward to Guild Wars 2, even though I haven't played the original in a long while. Don't even have any of the campaigns or the expansion pack.

Personally, I like the old style RTSes more (although I never got in to starcraft). Give me an updated AoE2 over anything and you'll make me a happy man.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Diablo III would bring me back to PC gaming. My gf would leave me though, because Diablo2 totally consumed me.

CptCrunch

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2005
man, i love the diablo series, when this comes out, i might have to take myself a nice vacation from work to play, and hope the gf is still there afterwards ;)

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Originally posted by: Yossarian
Originally posted by: Locut0s
Originally posted by: Eeezee
I never understood what was so addicting about Diablo II. Collecting phat lewtz is just not appealing to me.

That's really all that was so addicting about the game. That married with perfectly tuned game play, graphics, music and storyline.

It's a good game, but I think you're being overly nostaglic if you say that Diablo's graphics are good. They were way behind the times even when it was new.

Correct, even D2 was capped at either 640x480 or 800x600, cant remember which

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Originally posted by: Megatomic
I played Diablo and missed the DII craze. Unless DIII comes out with a Mac release I'm safe. :D

You're screwed then, Blizzard ALWAYS does a mac release

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
StarCraft 2 might just get me to upgrade my aging PC. I doubt I can play it on a Geforce 3, P4 1.8. heh. And I'm glad they don't do the Heroes thing as I never got into WC because of the look and feel of it and because of the Heroes

HopJokey

Platinum Member
May 6, 2005
Originally posted by: RadiclDreamer
Originally posted by: Yossarian
Originally posted by: Locut0s
Originally posted by: Eeezee
I never understood what was so addicting about Diablo II. Collecting phat lewtz is just not appealing to me.

That's really all that was so addicting about the game. That married with perfectly tuned game play, graphics, music and storyline.

It's a good game, but I think you're being overly nostaglic if you say that Diablo's graphics are good. They were way behind the times even when it was new.

Correct, even D2 was capped at either 640x480 or 800x600, cant remember which

The original D2 ran at 640x480. The expansion (Lord of Destruction) allowed the user to select the 800x600 resolution as well.