I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and..

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by techs, Nov 10, 2012.

1. techs

techs Lifer

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

That's exactly what the Republican Party has done.

Back in 2000 when the Republicans rubbed the Dems nose in it when the Supreme Court made a legally incorrect decision, along partisan lines, the Republicans just couldn't resist acting like they were kings. They started a war against Democrats. They openly said no compromise, no bipartisanship. They took to calling anyone who disagreed with them traitors and terrorists.

Then Bush ran his 2004 on the idea that lets antagonize our political opponents as much as we can.

By 2008 Dems had their payback when Obama was elected.
    By and large American progressives are slow to anger. But when Republicans went birther the giant started to rumble. When the Republicans went gridlock the giant rumble some more.

When the Republicans tried to suppress the vote of Africa Americans the giant awoke. I remember seeing the hanged black people on the evening news because they wanted to vote. I can't even begin to imagine the conversations black people were having behind closed doors about this.

Well, in 2012 the sleeping giant awoke. Despite a bad economy. Despite huge amounts of Republican money. Despite long lines and voter intimidation Democrats won.

And, like in 1941, once you have awoken the sleeping giant he won't be happy til he's nuked your cities and laid waste to your civilization.

It feels good to be an American today.

2. SheHateMe

SheHateMe Diamond Member

I just can't wait for the Tea Party to destroy the Repubs.

3. hal2kilo

hal2kilo Diamond Member

Thanks Fox, Drudge, Briebart, Rush, Hannity, Savage. Who'd I leave out.

4. finglobes

finglobes Senior member

Dems are no sleeping giant. The GOP is actually just pussycats. They had the House and Senate and POTUS and did little because Bush Jr got caught up in an ill advised war over a guy who had a doormat with his daddy on it.

Obama won in 2008 because A) Bush had destroyed GOP brand and had approval in low 20's B) Dems intentionally caused financial collapse (dont forget Schumer was found by feds to have caused bank run on IndyMac just before election ) C) Obama pretended to be a moderate D) MSM abandoned all pretense of being objective journalists and played interference to Barack the Magic Kid Cafe au Lait.

What the Dems have done is create their own Frankenstein monster. A bunch of rich, white, feminized liberals who live in cities and are afraid of guns have taught minorities to hate rich, white people. As the economy tanks (as ou know it will under Obama) and the Dem urban base gets ugly its going to be the liberal Dr Frankensteins who will be getting the tip of the spear. Better have those bug-out bags ready.

5. Matt1970

Matt1970 Lifer

Haha, you guys keep telling yourself that.

6. Londo_Jowo

Londo_Jowo Lifer

I fear you will start at least 10,000 threads with the same theme between now and 2016.

You well on you way, what do you have 25 to 30 threads this week?

7. Hayabusa Rider

Hayabusa Rider Elite Member

Theres a saying I recommend you seriously consider, "pride goeth before a fall". You don't need political adversaries when overconfidence and notions of superiority are more than enough to bring you down. Certainly celebrate your victory, but theres imminent danger in becoming self-congratulatory.

8. RabidMongoose

The next step is to actually empower the Tea Party to consume the Republican Party. They must be aided. The Democrats or fellow like-minded citizens should organize to create a super pac that can funnel money to tea party candidates so that they can continue to primary challenge establishment GOP candidates. Basically, any GOP candidate who doesn't think that rape is legitimate or that rape is god's intent must be defeated by the Tea People.

Empower the Tea People. Enable them. Then let them loose within the GOP and watch them consume the GOP as the establishment is ripped limb from limb and the Tea People drink and slurp up the blood of the remaining GOP.

9. tweaker2

tweaker2 Diamond Member

Yes, a lesson the Repubs seem to be slowly and painfully learning the hard way. ;)

10. Hayabusa Rider

Hayabusa Rider Elite Member

Wasn't that a Wes Craven movie?

11. techs

techs Lifer

If it wasn't, it ought to be.

12. Juror No. 8

Juror No. 8 Banned

Yes, it "feels good" to incinerate innocent women and children in a giant fireball. It provides for much happiness.

You people are fucking insane.

13. techs

techs Lifer

I think you might be confusing the figurative with the literal.

14. Juror No. 8

Juror No. 8 Banned

Don't look at me. I'm not the one who used a tragic crime against humanity as an opening to pound my partisan chest.

15. Jhhnn

Jhhnn Lifer

Not that I agree with Techs' WW2 analogy, but the above is tragically delusional.

During the Bush years, Repubs had it all their way yet failed miserably because their ideology is defective, as delusional as finglobes' or Spidey's. Their only level of competence has been to make the Rich richer at the expense of everybody else.

When that failure became manifest, they switched instantly from crowing about a permanent conservative majority to whining about voter fraud & demonizing the least among us, blaming the weak for what the powerful had accomplished.

What Righties simply refuse to recognize is that a sound economy & financial sector can't crash. It's impossible. One built on ever increasing concentration of income, speculation, greed, and over reliance on credit certainly can and has, both in 1929 and in 2008. People duped into taking out home loans they can't afford can't pay, and financial institutions leveraged at 30:1 or 40:1 can't withstand the stress when they can't, no matter how earnestly advocates of free market banking think they can.

Government based on voter suppression won't survive in the modern age, either, because the means of doing so effectively have been abolished by law, for the most part. The backlash against that is already huge, and growing- the awakening Techs referenced. Between now and the next election, millions of people will jump through the hoops to have the means to vote, even people who might not have bothered otherwise. That's because they feel threatened, because they're under attack, and because they now understand that they have to fight back at the polls. And they'll vote, against the people who tried to tell them they couldn't.

16. techs

techs Lifer

A couple of the polling companies are supposedly out in the field now polling on the question of did the attempt at voter suppression actually backfire and cause people who might not have voted to go out and vote.

17. buckshot24

buckshot24 Diamond Member

Can this premise be any more delusional? Obama got 10 million less votes this election. If Romney got out his vote like Obama got out his then this would have been an entirely different election. Also, too many votes against Obama and not enough votes for Romney. Negative voting can only take you so far. Too many conservatives either voted for Obama (I think around 19%) or simply stayed home or voted for Johnson.

18. spittledip

spittledip Diamond Member

51% is a pretty small giant.

19. RabidMongoose

Romney's vote is mainly old white men. That's a dying demographic. The white establishment is dead. You can't get out the vote when you need more votes than all of the old white men in America.

20. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

Like, OK, NOTHING you said makes sense.

21. techs

techs Lifer

This 19 percent is who the Dems need to go after. They have the intelligence to understand that Obama is actually a far saner and fiscally responsible President than a wacky Romney who was once again going to cut taxes and lead the country into ruin.

The Fox News/Bubble Boys who aren't living in reality are hopeless. But there are a lot of conservatives who know the Democratic party is now far nearer to their beliefs than an extremist and dangerous Tea Party.

22. Charles Kozierok

Charles Kozierok Elite Member

I think some Democrats are really getting a bit cocky this week.

The tea party is the reason that the Democrats are not likely to control the House again for the next ten years. And that has put a major crimp on Obama's agenda, and caused a lot of other problems. Did you enjoy the budget showdown last year?

Don't play with fire - you might get burned.

23. techs

techs Lifer

However, it is growing and growing at a faster rate every year.
    Every election the Dems have more votes and the Republicans lose voters.
    Clearly the Republicans are competitive and may win 1-3 more Presidential elections depending on the candidates and the conditions, but they are starting out in a hole every year and the hole is getting deeper, at a faster rate every year.

One thing I read that is not being taken into account is that many elderly whites have stop voting even before they die because their medical conditions prevent them from voting. So the Democratic gains are even larger than they appear.

24. techs

techs Lifer

The Democrats gained seats and won the popular vote for Congress. The Tea Party candidates are the best thing for the Dems, now that the public sees them for the crazies they are. And they will keep winning primaries and putting up the wackiest candidates possible.

25. Charles Kozierok

Charles Kozierok Elite Member

Yeah, let's see what happens in 2014. You guys got your asses handed to you in the last mid-term.