I enjoyed Rage (spoilers)

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I finished Rage about a week ago and I must say that I really enjoyed it. I have the Sewers and Scorchers DLCs installed.

It seemed like a nice cross between Borderlands, Fallout 3 and Doom 3. While it wasn’t quite as addictive as Borderlands or Fallout 3, it was still a very good game. Actually there were a few references to Borderlands (e.g. Mutant Bash TV is like Moxxi’s arena, and the location is even similar to Moxxi’s bar in the Knoxx DLC), the “Gear Boss”, and similar.

The guns, combat and enemies were solid, the sandbox exploration and side-quests created investment, and the racing was pretty good too. The interior levels had good attention to detail, and in-field crafting of pop-rockets and sentry bots was incredibly useful.

It’s a shame you couldn’t craft Feltrite bullets, and no end boss surprised me in an id software game. Also despite the technical graphical issues (e.g. low resolution textures, texture pop-in, random black artifacts), I still liked the visuals overall from a purely aesthetic perspective.

If there are any more DLCs that add genuine content to the game, I’ll definitely be picking them up.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
I played the game at launch and it was ruined by bugs.Did you try the game at launch BFG?

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I doubt you will get much love here for this game. iD made good solid VS games.. no longer loved by the COD/TF/CS hordes.. RAGE is never more then good to OK as a SINGLE player game (did it even have multiplayer?) but as stated it had a few bad Texture bugs that for some reason "ruined the game".. I myslef didn't care , so what if the pile of guts looked like the resolution was from 93 instead of 2010. Basically it had view bugs, games swap low res textures when you are far away, some stayed low rez as you came up close. Otherwise there where slow downs in some areas, and the only real GAME breaking bug was a crash on exiting the ARC. Almost all major bugs (view) where on AMD cards which where fixed about 2 weeks after release.

of course as iD lets you really 'adjust" there games normally and didnt with RAGE.. there was alot of BUTTHURT over no FOV options, no skipping intro (both config edits could fix), no console commands to cheat.. It also didn't support duel or triple cards and v-sync (the vsync was a bad one I will admit for anybody with somewhat borderline performance, you could get some screen tearing)

me, I liked the FPS part, absolutely hated the racing parts.. so I did like the FPS part of game, would have liked more without the racing, maybe, or making it like Borderlands.. so cartoon easy it was never an issue. I stalled on several of the required races and had to redo them over several times.. which just made the game work to me.. and I will admit, maybe I suck at it (racing) as I do NASCAR and Indy car simulations leagues on the PC and now on 360 maybe i just cant grasp this type of racing.

not the turd everybody wanted to make it, the beginning of the Hipster days.. cooler to hate then to like.. and iD did something very un-iD like.. released "before it was done".

all just opinion.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
I really hated the racing crap! IIRC some racing was required for the main story. The world had indeed some similarities with the Borderlands, but it was empty and boring.
I think I only liked the Jackal Canyon or something like that.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
I thought it was an OK game. Probably would have been rated a lot higher if there weren't so many similar (but superior) games released before it. I think it's a game that just tried to do to many different things and it wasn't particularly good at any of them. Turned out to be a pretty run of the mill game. Pretty disappointing for something coming out of ID, particularly because of all the technical issues which has historically been ID's forte.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
I liked it. I played it a couple years after release but never finished it. It's fun, but not as fun as other games that pulled me away from it.

thujone

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2003
i played it fairly close to launch (~3 months) and was annoyed with the texture pop-in and whatnot.... but like bfg said... i thought the overall aesthetic of the game was great. i enjoyed all the mini-game parts (racing, cards, etc.)... i really think the game would have been some serious goty material if it had just been longer.

as usual... it seems like they spent a ridiculous amount of time working on the systems/programming/new graphics features then had to rush it out the door when bethesda put their foot down regarding the release date.

i've kept my fingers crossed for a new campaign DLC or some sort of user made content ever since i played it.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I played the game at launch and it was ruined by bugs.Did you try the game at launch BFG?

:cool:

i am also one who went though the OPENGL driver madness u did.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Eh. I played it without any DLC. I didn't like it. I found it really easy, generic, and a bit boring.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Eh. I played it without any DLC. I didn't like it. I found it really easy, generic, and a bit boring.

I played it on the hard difficulty and it was still too easy. I believe I only died once or twice because every time you get a bloody screen (SO REAL!!) you just hide behind cover for a few seconds and recover.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Damn, Installed the game yesterday with all DLCs (24gb)...
Started it and I get weird white lines all around me...that move when I move or simply look around.

They're more apparent in dark spaces...

Like in this pic:

246umuq.jpg

Last edited:

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I just finished replaying it again and took just over 28 hours:

Rage.jpg

I enjoyed it even more the second time around and I focused on finding all the cards, and also the desert spores to max out my health.

I didn't have any graphical glitches and the texture pop-in was minimal. I did have occasional missing car engine sounds when out in the wasteland, however.

Also for those put off by the racing, I checked and it's only required three times, and one of those is a time trial with no opponents. The last race is also a piece of cake.

You don't need to do other races unless you want to fully upgrade all of your cars, so you're probably looking at ten minutes total track time out of 28 hours.