I eat Sunflower seeds all of the time...will i get fat??

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WA261, Mar 26, 2002.

1. WA261

WA261 Diamond Member

i go throuh about a 1lb bag per week....i dont think they can harm me, but is there enough fat in them to make me put on weight, or is the fat in them not bad??? =)

2. Azraele

Azraele Elite Member

Have you looked at the information on the bag?

3. pyonir

pyonir Lifer

i think you should worry about the sodium in them instead. unless you eat unsalted ones.

4. Balt

Balt Lifer

<< i think you should worry about the sodium in them instead. unless you eat unsalted ones. >>

5. Kilgor

Kilgor Diamond Member

Wow that?s a lot of sunflower seeds, I bet if you pooped in your yard you would have a regular garden growing in no time. ;)

6. trmiv

trmiv Lifer

Hey, at least you're getting your vitamin E.

7. docmanhattan

docmanhattan Golden Member

With or without the shell? I used to do the wad of seeds, like a baseball player spitting them out. I got pretty good at de-shelling them too. ;)

8. WA261

WA261 Diamond Member

with shell, no salt....they have this spice stuff on them instead

well see....the bag makes me think they are not great for me, but then i think......a fat burger, or seeds....what is worse? i dont get how fat worx...

9. docmanhattan

docmanhattan Golden Member

<< with shell, no salt....they have this spice stuff on them instead

well see....the bag makes me think they are not great for me, but then i think......a fat burger, or seeds....what is worse? i dont get how fat worx...
    >>

The fat is not-so-bad, if I'm not mistaken. I can't link to a site because I'm lazy, but I do know that it's better then munching Cheetoes or a Snickers. And besides, isn't snacking throughout the day with lighter meals better than 3 big meals with no snacks?

10. glen

glen Lifer

No, ever seen a fat bird?

11. WA261

WA261 Diamond Member

<< The fat is not-so-bad, if I'm not mistaken. I can't link to a site because I'm lazy, but I do know that it's better then munching Cheetoes or a Snickers. And besides, isn't snacking throughout the day with lighter meals better than 3 big meals with no snacks? >>

that is what i was thinking....i dont eat breakfast....only have a very light lunch....then dinner....

12. trmiv

trmiv Lifer

Are you fat right now?

13. WA261

WA261 Diamond Member

no, im not

14. Fausto

Fausto Elite Member

Fat is fat is fat. It's all 9 calories per gram as opposed to 4 per gram for carbo and protein so you are taking in more calories. The main thing to worry about with fat intake besides the calories is cholesterol. As this is only found in animal sources of fat, you're in good shape. How many calories in a pound of seeds?

Fausto

15. WA261

WA261 Diamond Member

2520 in 1lb

16. IGBT

IGBT Lifer

The dang things are good aren't they. I would guess the salt might be a problem. Do they have a salt free sunflower seed?

17. Fausto

Fausto Elite Member

Well, that amount is about equal to a day's worth of BMR (basal metabolica rate....the amount of calories you burn just existing each day)....broken down by 7 days is about 350 extra calories per day. If your weight isn't increasing I wouldn't worry about it....fat has a strong "satiety" effect (makes you feel full) so you may even be consuming fewer calories overall than you would otherwise since you're knocking your appetite down via the seeds. I'd check the sodium levels in those things tho....the spice stuff might have salt in it despite the bag labeled as "unsalted".

fausto

18. SpecialEd

SpecialEd Platinum Member

if you excerise enough.. you won't get fat not matter what you eat. But balance is the key to a good diet. Are sunflower seeds the only thing you eat?

19. SludgeFactory

SludgeFactory Platinum Member

that's a little more than 2 ounces per day, as long as you're eating a relatively low fat diet otherwise, i think it's ok. however, check the label for the sodium, the spice may have a lot of sodium.

there are basically two categories of fats, saturated and unsaturated. you need both, but for the most part you want to minimize the saturated, because this is the artery clogging stuff. animal fats are high in saturated fat. also, some oils and fats are hydrogenated to make them more like a saturated fat (margarine), and they're bad for you as well.

some sources of unsaturated fats are nuts, seeds, fish oil, flax seed oil, etc. the sunflower seeds are much higher in unsaturated fat than saturated fat if you look at the label. unsaturated fats have EFA's (essential fatty acids) which are necessary for your body to function properly, that's why extreme low-fat diets are ridiculous. besides, fats make you feel full and may keep you from eating as much as you would otherwise, as Fausto alluded to.

if you plan to eat this many sunflower seeds for the rest of your life, you may want to educate yourself on fats. a book i've been meaning to read is "Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill". there are other things to consider, like the ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 EFA that you're consuming.

20. telstar1

telstar1 Golden Member

You should be worried about a couple things...
    The seeds have oil in them. An overabundance of that oil isn't good for you.
    You said the seeds have seasoning. Check out the sodium levels.
    Unused calories can turn into fat, so check the intake of calories.

21. Miramonti

Miramonti Lifer

When I ate that much I could handle the fat and sodium, but its the zits that came as a result that killed that habit for me.

:) <---- see, no more zits!

22. WA261

WA261 Diamond Member

29...no more zits here =P

23. Miramonti

Miramonti Lifer

29...no more zits here =P

I've got a few years on you and I'll still get them if I eat seeds. :(

24. Fausto

Fausto Elite Member

Uh, diet has no effect on zits, guys. Sorry.

Fausto

25. thomsbrain

thomsbrain Lifer

you probably use more calories eating them than you get from them