I drove through Penryn today

Dec 27, 2001
On I-80 on the way to Yuba Gap to do some sledding. I remembered their Granite Bay chipset named for an affluent city in the Sacramento area which I assumed some of the execs lived, but Penryn is a 15K population blip that looks run down.

Where the hell do they get these names?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Where the hell do they get these names?
A map, a dart, and a blindfold.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
core/pentium is what most people know the chips as.
code names arent that important non geeks.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
They might have a plant there. It also might be in Roseville or Lincoln. All are in the same general area.
Dated a girl who worked there but I don't recall exactly where it was.

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
I'm looking forward to the Weed series of processors on the Gilroy chipset.

Let's hear it for crappy CA towns and their silicon namesakes!

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
They might have a plant there. It also might be in Roseville or Lincoln. All are in the same general area.

Folsom. I'm not sure what they do there, but I have an acquaintence who works there and he's in finance, so I suspect it's mostly an operations campus. Most of the manufacturing is done in Oregon and Arizona.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

Folsom. I'm not sure what they do there, but I have an acquaintence who works there and he's in finance, so I suspect it's mostly an operations campus. Most of the manufacturing is done in Oregon and Arizona.

The Folsom site is a large Intel campus. It most likely has several thousand Intel employees there.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000

The folsom site is not the only one. There is a manufacturing site around Rocklin/Penyrn/Roseville.

UTmtnbiker

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2000
I was always told that Intel used geographic locations as their codenames because there is no possibility of being a trademark infringement if it were to ever get out.

Yup....looks like that's what wikipeida says (and you know everything on the internet has to be true)

Intel Codenames

compman25

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2006
I lived in Santa Rosa for 28 yrs, which is in Sonoma County, which is next to Napa County. Do I get a free laptop or something?

Feb 19, 2001
Drove through Penryn yesterday. We usually stop at Auburn from our snowboarding trips for a dinner run but this time they stopped at a totally different town. Whipped out my GPS and I was like wtf? Penryn? Wow.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005

not neccesarily. the merom version of intel's c2d was designed in haifa and thus, named after the biblical name for a dried up lake in israel...

intel's banias was named after the banias river in israel and so on. dothan was named after a town in alabama.

jpeyton got it right on.