I don't want to be a "Karen", but AAFES (Shopmyexchange) kind of has crap online service / policies

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
So short story, I've tried to order a flashlight twice from them now (February and June), and both times they shipped the rest of my order and cancelled the Maglite flashlight.

After this last time, I finally decided to contact them and ask why this keeps happening. They basically told me "Just because the item says it's in stock, it doesn't mean it's in stock. Our supplier agreements have us say it's it stock, and it's all under our terms and conditions".

I responded by asking "So if AAFES has an advertised sale on this flashlight, they might not have any to sell?". They responded "Yes. We serve people around the world, and just because we have it advertised as on sale, it doesn't mean we necessarily have inventory to sell. It's in our terms and conditions which you can read here". :oops:

I mean I've ordered things in the past, like a Sony Bluetooth speaker they listed as "in stock", and the sat open for roughly 3 months before it shipped. I couldn't cancel the order, I just had to wait until they apparently received more inventory. It kind of sucked sitting in limbo, but I just thought "Well, I ordered it and I should hopefully get it sometime".

I know the profits AAFES makes goes back to supporting troops, but I just don't think I will really order any more stuff from them. I can pretty much get most things for roughly the same price at other retailers, and I'll have to pay sales tax, but at the same time I don't want to keep ordering an "in stock" item only to have them continue to cancel my order a few days later.

In fact, the flashlight still shows as being on sale and "in stock".

Shining what.gif

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
"Supplier Agreements" that require the retailer to LIE to the customer?

Well, Mag-Lite is off of my purchase list for life.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
"Supplier Agreements" that require the retailer to LIE to the customer?

Well, Mag-Lite is off of my purchase list for life.
It can't just be that company.

I mean they didn't have the Sony speaker in stock either that I mentioned. I'm thinking AAFES is simply "passing the buck" on advertising stuff in stock they don't have.

It would be one thing to eventually fill the order (like the speaker), but it's a whole different thing to simply just keep cancelling orders.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Sounds like they're blowing smoke up your ass. I never heard of a "supplier agreement" like that.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Huh. The only problem I've had with them so far was getting them to honor both a sale price and an initial discount for getting the Military Star card, and they did end up coming through in the end.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I've always had good service from AAFES online and the NEX too.
Order the flashlight, and you might feel differently. ;)

https://www.shopmyexchange.com/mag-instruments-inc-maglite-ml300lx-led-3-d-cell-flashlight/8482867

Going back 20+ years, I've ordered things like car tires, electronics, food, car stuff, and never really had any issues. I will say I did learn the hard way when they say "no return" on the product page, they mean it. Around 2002 or so, I ordered a Sony DVD player from them, and it arrived dead. I ended up having to mail it to Sony to be replaced.

But in their defense, it did state that on the page when I ordered it, I just ended up being unlucky on that one.

Nov 17, 2019
MagLite's been off my list since the old man ran around the country suing anybody and everybody that dared to make a metal tube flashlight instead of working to make his more unique.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I used maglite a long time ago in my leo days but with the advent of high luminance led's and laser flashlights they fell off my radar.