I don't understand the whole 'time travel' thing.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My Delorean does double duty as the car that I use for Uber Timeshift like dropping off people to different timelines while I'm driving home.

For this reason, it definitely needed an 8 MW Lithium Promethium battery pack and 32GW flux capacitor. :)

• Haha
Reactions: ultimatebob

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
I do it all the time - going forward at 60 seconds/minute. :D
Going back seems to be a big big problem still to be solved.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Dumb dumb dumb. People trip on the most ridiculous things. Science fiction was my first love in reading. I've always hated the time travel trick. Tsk tsk tsk.

The thing of it is we must live with the living. - The Medium is the Message

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
One of the major problems encountered in time travel is not that of becoming your own father or mother. There is no problem in becoming your own father or mother that a broad-minded and well-adjusted family can't cope with. There is no problem with changing the course of history—the course of history does not change because it all fits together like a jigsaw. All the important changes have happened before the things they were supposed to change and it all sorts itself out in the end.

The major problem is simply one of grammar, and the main work to consult in this matter is Dr. Dan Streetmentioner's Time Traveler's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations. It will tell you, for instance, how to describe something that was about to happen to you in the past before you avoided it by time-jumping forward two days in order to avoid it. The event will be descibed differently according to whether you are talking about it from the standpoint of your own natural time, from a time in the further future, or a time in the further past and is futher complicated by the possibility of conducting conversations while you are actually traveling from one time to another with the intention of becoming your own mother or father.

Most readers get as far as the Future Semiconditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional before giving up; and in fact in later aditions of the book all pages beyond this point have been left blank to save on printing costs.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy skips lightly over this tangle of academic abstraction, pausing only to note that the term "Future Perfect" has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be.
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #2)

Last edited:

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Dumb dumb dumb. People trip on the most ridiculous things. Science fiction was my first love in reading. I've always hated the time travel trick. Tsk tsk tsk.

The thing of it is we must live with the living. - The Medium is the Message

I sat in on a English class McLuhan gave in modern English at the UofT back in the day.He was completly the opposite of what you'd expect someone renouned as a communicator would be.Rather he was the picture of the abstruse academic. For an essay topic he suggested my reading the book titled The Chinese Written Character as a Medium for Poetry. I thought not.
I got a drink instead.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
My Delorean does double duty as the car that I use for Uber Timeshift like dropping off people to different timelines while I'm driving home.

For this reason, it definitely needed an 8 MW Lithium Promethium battery pack and 32GW flux capacitor. :)
Hey, I just impressed with the ride. Time travel or not, that car is awesome!

Feb 4, 2009

What I need answered is the Delorean needs to go 88mph to travel time.
If it is on a treadmill would it still be able to time travel?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

And don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin
And there's no tellin' who
That it's namin'
For the loser now
Will be later to win
For the times they are a-changin'

- Bob Dylan

Yes.

Nov 20, 2009

That is because the Intergalactic Commission on time travel has banded canucks from using it.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

You know, I need to test that one day. I think it will only work if the treadmill has been on throughout the entire time span of the time travel. So would need to turn it on today, wait till tomorrow, then try to time travel to today, tomorrow. If the treadmill changes momentum throughout the time travel process it will be really hard on the tires.

• Haha
Reactions: Fanatical Meat

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Hey, I just impressed with the ride. Time travel or not, that car is awesome!
I really enjoyed the Back to the Future, 1st two movies. Don't know if I watched the 3rd (there are just 3, right?). I bought the series on DVD a few years ago, haven't watched them. I think I gave the first a try, it wasn't working for me (maybe just not in a good mood) and I hit eject. I should try again, I guess... yes, even though I hate TT as a device in sci fi... but I don't consider BTTF sci fi.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I really enjoyed the Back to the Future, 1st two movies. Don't know if I watched the 3rd (there are just 3, right?). I bought the series on DVD a few years ago, haven't watched them. I think I gave the first a try, it wasn't working for me (maybe just not in a good mood) and I hit eject. I should try again, I guess... yes, even though I hate TT as a device in sci fi... but I don't consider BTTF sci fi.

Can you at least agree with yourself? I cannot tell if you saw the first movie or not.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Can you at least agree with yourself? I cannot tell if you saw the first movie or not.
I guess I wasn't clear. I saw the first two many years ago, you know, "back in the day." I bought the trilogy many years later because I recalled that I really got off on the first two, thinking rewatching them would work for me... maybe.

I bought the trilogy in 2005 as a Columbia House fulfillment order:

Selection FORMAT Title Quantity
027573 DVD Back to the Future: The Complete Trilogy 1
021849 DVD L.A. Confidential

Now, I got LA Confidential on recommendation of a friend, and boy, that's one terrific movie... works for me every time I see it (5 times):

04/12/2016
07/16/2008
03/10/2006
07/05/2005
07/04/2005

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000

027573 DVD Back to the Future: The Complete Trilogy

Get the 4k trilogy which was released recently. 4K Ultra HD >>> Blu-ray >> DVD > VHS. ;)

Last edited:

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I guess I wasn't clear. I saw the first two many years ago, you know, "back in the day." I bought the trilogy many years later because I recalled that I really got off on the first two, thinking rewatching them would work for me... maybe.

027573 DVD Back to the Future: The Complete Trilogy 1
021849 DVD L.A. Confidential

Now, I got LA Confidential on recommendation of a friend, and boy, that's one terrific movie... works for me every time I see it (5 times):

04/12/2016
07/16/2008
03/10/2006
07/05/2005
07/04/2005

Sounds like you have some watching to do. The trilogy is a favorite of mine. I have it on blu ray. I don’t know why I didn’t get it on DVD.

Nov 17, 2019
Is this thread doin' the Time Warp again?

16.43%20ScreenPull%201.png

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
BTTF trilloogy pretty much needs to be watched all 3 movies in one go. It's not the type of movie where you can just watch partially.