I don't understand the whole 'gaming' thing.

Nov 17, 2019
I just really, really don't.

I did some Pong when it was new and cool. I did the one with the monkey climbing the building for the bananas. I did some of the table thing in bars with the colored ghosts chasing you around. That was all in the 80s or so. In the 90s when I was bored at work, I passed the time with some Solitaire and Minesweeper.

I haven't done one of any kind since then.

I just don't get people spending megabucks on special 'rigs' and furniture and sitting transfixed in front of them for hours a day, every day, week in and week out.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I don't PC game but I have every console and some arcade games in my basement.

And I wish I had the time to just sit in front of them for hours a day, every day, week in and week out. But as a parent with 2 kids and a full time job, that simply isn't reality. The arcade games have turned into way more of a hobby than I anticipated though. I think I have as much fun messing around with them than I do actually playing them sometimes.

I played Rush 2049 SE this past Saturday for the first time in like 2 months. I hadn't even turned on that cabinet in 2 months. It was nice to be able to sit down and play it undistracted for like 45 mins straight.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005

I did some Pong when it was new and cool. I did the one with the monkey climbing the building for the bananas. I did some of the table thing in bars with the colored ghosts chasing you around. That was all in the 80s or so. In the 90s when I was bored at work, I passed the time with some Solitaire and Minesweeper.

I just don't get people spending megabucks on special 'rigs' and furniture and sitting transfixed in front of them for hours a day, every day, week in and week out.
I get where you’re coming from. I never got into arcade or basic console games like Super Mario Brothers once the novelty wore off because they seemed repetitive and boring.

There were four PC games that changed that: Tie Fighter, Myst, Baldur’s Gate and Command & Conquer, which represent the genres of PC gaming that I still enjoy to this day. I don’t however have a gaming chair and only casually play online competitive games against people who probably match what you described.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006

not really any different than someone buying a big fancy TV and watching it for hours a day

except the games are interactive whereas TV is not

Reactions: dank69 and Pohemi

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017

The vast majority of people do not pay megabucks for their "rigs." The high-end PC master race is tiny and not representative of gamers.

Reactions: pmv and Pohemi

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005

Says the guy posting on ATOT...

• Haha
Reactions: brianmanahan

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
I think that if I had a group of people around me that could keep up with my competitive drive then I would spend a lot less time gaming. But that's simply not the case so I get my fix from video games.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I'm building a "gaming" rig now to get back into Flight sim. Just can't get the GPU I want yet.

At least I can use it for other things.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The reason you did not enjoy those games is you did not have a powerful enough rig. Solitaire and minesweeper on a Core i9 and quad RTX 3090 is an incredible experience. Make sure RTX is on.

You also want lot of ram, I would do at least 64GB but 128GB gives you more breathing room in case you need to open Chrome while playing.

Nov 17, 2019
The reason you did not enjoy those games is you did not have a powerful enough rig. Solitaire and minesweeper on a Core i9 and quad RTX 3090 is an incredible experience. Make sure RTX is on.

You also want lot of ram, I would do at least 64GB but 128GB gives you more breathing room in case you need to open Chrome while playing.
Yeah, it was like Windows 3 or something before 95 came out. Stuff wasn't measured in Gigs. Hard Drives over a few megs were huge. 3.5" floppies were new and not popular. Modems were in Kb.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
What I dont understand is the person who has a laptop computer or even a PC and are using the onboard video and are just having fun, then you ghet some kid with the top of the line intel 9 cpu with a top of the line video card who is crushing everybody and making fun of the person who was just playing for fun!
Gaming especially games such as QuakeLive have evolved to the point where without having a fantastic video card you or a great CPU you are at a huge disadvantage!

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
yep, i had to buy a 34 inch alienware ultrawide 120hz monitor and a RTX 3090 just to keep up with the kiddos

now my 8700k CPU is holding me back

• Haha
Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

Multiple reasons:

1. A lot of us are in the 20 to 60 age range, meaning we grew up when computer games were developed & got popular, so we grew up loving to play games on the computer

2. Now that we're adults, we have more funding to buy better toys, and still enjoy playing games

3. A man's home is his castle!

4. A lot of us work in knowledge-work jobs, so even though you haven't done anything to physically drain your body, energy-wise, your brain is shot by the end of the day & video games are just fun enough but also low-mental-work enough (generally-speaking) that we can zone out for the rest of the evening playing them lol

5. Particularly with COVID, the Internet & online gaming makes for a great third place since it's hard to go many places, so you can get your gaming computer decked-out & then lose yourself inside of the game world for a few hours at a time

And of course, it really depends on your situation. My PC is from 2013 & I upgraded it to a 1080Ti a few years ago, which is the best card it's capable of taking, and that's fine for me. But I've got a buddy where he & his wife both work, no kids, no major vices, so he just dropped $5,000 on his rig last year, complete with an LED desk lol. If the data from the last recession & current coronavirus state of things is any indication, people love to spend money on things that make them happy even when things are tight, so if you have the budget available for a crazy gaming rig & want one, then more power to you!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I just got a new game in the mail today, wonder if OP is mad about that.

VwVfJiX.jpg