"i don't think its lame to use the same handle, i do it all the time. people remember you by it, y'know? "

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
That is true. Using one handle on the internet is quite useful in identifying who you are online and as much a real life, it is like a name.

But it does prove a point. Sometimes, it is good to have several aliases. Kind of like different nicknames to call oneself by. And I do not mind that at all.

But what really gets me is those who use [exaggeration]Millions[/exaggeration] of handles that do nothing but sit there or they troll under the made up handles. There is something about a few like one or two handles or three that a person uses but too much?

I find it that with our handles, a unique identity builds on it as we continue to use it. So in reality, it makes sense to use only one handle. Sometimes I can think up more but I would not sign up on anything else but my original handle.

Can you spare change for a poor topic? ;)

chipbgt

Banned
Nov 30, 1999
Since I was the target of that original blurb I will respond for ya :D I use this same handle everywhere I go. I use it everywhere because I am not ashamed of any reputation I have gotten at any site with it. Some, not all, have to use multiple handles because they are considered jerks/idiots under one handle so they try to start fresh. Others do it just because. But I am a traditionalist and will probably use this handle for as long as I can. Not like anyone else wants it.

LouisXIX

Oct 9, 1999
Ive used this nick since I was 7 years old when i started saving player profiles in computer games (thanks to the invention of the floppy disk). And i just use the 'XIX' when i'm restricted to three initials on an arcade machine.

I know this guy who seems to change his handle every month, on applications other than BBS's. On icq, for instance, I have to add his new handle and UIN every so often. Pain in the ass.

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
I use this handle at other places, just because I like it. But I did post at *gasp* mycoupons under a different one. The one I use there is a childhood nickname, and my other favorite handle.

SufferinSuccotash

Jun 4, 2000
<LAMENT>Oh, how I wish I had used my original handle instead of SufferinSuccotash.</LAMENT> What the he!! kind of handle is SufferinSuccotash, anyway?!

conroeguy

May 3, 2000
I use the same handle everywhere. It establishes who you are. You become a regular member that people recognize across the forumn boards. Basically you establish an online identity. And if you do it well, it will be an identity that people will know and respect no matter what forumn you choose to frequent.

kduncan5

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2000
I use the same User Name everywhere I go, with the exception of the places which require a minimum # of characters mine does not satisfy, or who require anything my user name doesn't provide. Of course, I have different passwords..... I find that it's easier if I don't have to keep a notebook sitting beside me with a mile-long list of hundreds of different user names. I'd just like to keep things simple, that's all. Besides, if I can build up a reputation of integrity around my user name, well that's just all for the better if you ask me.....:) -kd5-

kabelogo

Banned
Dec 1, 1999
i do what i want. until i can't. then i don't. but i sure do miss using another nick justalittle

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
jonnyGURU since 1995.

Now people actually call me jonnyGURU in real life.

Before that I was Mister Kingdom (from an ELO song) and before that I was Joe Pink because my BMX bike was a Fuscia color. Bright colors were in. This was back in 1987 when I was a 1337 h4x0r. ;)

He he... Joe Pink.... How gay.

Crysla

Banned
Jan 26, 2000
I use Crysla almost always...unless I decide to use Princess Crysla. I think the second one still keeps me recognizable....LOL.:) No other ones....no need. I have nothing to hide.

k....I miss Pirate....justalittle....night johnboy.:D

Princess;)

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
I've used a number of different handles on BBS' and ICQ, etc.. but I've decided to stick with RSI - I've had it for a while now, and I like it.

That's my nick and I'm stickin to it.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
I've really only had 2 names as far as being on the net goes. Loafy (a very shortly lived name), and genocide, I've had it for about 4 years now. So, I'd say it's not too lame to use the same name wherever you go.

MWink

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Almost everywhere I go I am MWink. Sometimes if MWink is taken, I will be MWink64.

Jimbo

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
I guess I can blame my sisters (all four of them) and my mom (just one of her) for this one. They call you it in front of your friends and it just kind of sticks. I used to hate it but I'm used to it now.

Jimbo

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I've used 4 handles in my life...

Stefan - Use it most frequently

Othello - I think its cool. Saw the name when we started Othello in school

Chexorz - Rarely use it. I picked it randomly when I first went on IRC and Stefan was already being used.

Sliver - The first handle I ever used when I first got on the net and hung around the Geocities chat rooms (a long time ago - used the help chat to learn HTML).

Chooie

Platinum Member
Nov 8, 1999
I've been called Chooie since middle school (It's a mix of my Star Wars fanaticism and my last name). I use Chooie almost everywhere, but I've used a couple other names in the past. Rooster, from the Alice in chains song, was used for about 2 years... and the others... well, I'm not at liberty to say. :Q

The Dancing Peacock

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
sorry, this is off-topic of the thread, but Chooie, did a mod write that in a message somewhere?? I was gone for a few days and I must have missed it :eek:.

late.

TDP

Chooie

Platinum Member
Nov 8, 1999
Look in Imaginer's new rhyming thread at my first post... the mod edited it and added that :)

Farbio

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2000
farbio has been my handle and screen name just about everywhere i've been needing one. it was dubbed on me back in 9th grade and its stuck to everything since

piku

Diamond Member
May 30, 2000
I use piku everywhere pretty much. I kinda like having a reputation on the net, if you dont mind me getting big headed :)

However, I do use the nick silver_cyanide for the less dubious things that I do :p

(acctually I just made up the silver_cyanide nick a few days ago... I needed another one and that just counds cool. I guess)

Livin4Real

Mar 25, 2000
Ever since Quake asked for player name &quot;Livin4Real&quot; It's not just a nickname but an extension of one's self.