I dont really care about gays one way or the other, and Russia doesnt impress me

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I swear I heard on NPR today that a Russian spokeswoman said that they are going to accept gays without issue but that they are reminded not to touch children. It was an unbelievable comment--anybody else hear that?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I swear I heard on NPR today that a Russian spokeswoman said that they are going to accept gays without issue but that they are reminded not to touch children. It was an unbelievable comment--anybody else hear that?

It's a serious problem in Russia:
putin_wideweb__470x351,0.jpg

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Which is hilarious cuz most pedos lead hetero lives during the day.
So not only is Russia hateful but also incredibly ignorant. I dont think they've had freedom long enough, they still got lots to learn about the world and life and people.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
I agree somewhat with the OP. Gay rights has gained tremendous momentum in 2013, it is certainly widely accepted and gay marriage across the board seems like a stones throw away. I think this is a good thing, equal rights should apply equally. My god am I sick of it being crammed down my throat though.

NPR is the most blatant example of this, and I swear they are paying commissions to their reporters for every instance they can somehow work gay rights into a story. When I turn on the radio it could be a story about breakfast cereal and they would somehow bring up same sex marriage.

Like I said, this is a good thing and I'm glad significant progress is being made. I just wish there was equal attention paid to other violations of civil liberties like ending the drug war and the abolition of the surveillance state. These topics get raised, but they certainly aren't as trendy.

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
I think it has a lot more to do with American perceptions and prejudices towards Russia than Gay rights. Gay rights is just the platform where it's currently acceptable to hate on Russia.

That's not to say that Russia isn't corrupt as fuck.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
If gays are to compete in the Olympics, will they be just another athlete? Or are they gonna wear rainbow colors, and rub their gayness in everyone's face?

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Seems like some things on the books that probably nobody cares about or follows.
I agree somewhat with the OP. Gay rights has gained tremendous momentum in 2013, it is certainly widely accepted and gay marriage across the board seems like a stones throw away. I think this is a good thing, equal rights should apply equally. My god am I sick of it being crammed down my throat though.

NPR is the most blatant example of this, and I swear they are paying commissions to their reporters for every instance they can somehow work gay rights into a story. When I turn on the radio it could be a story about breakfast cereal and they would somehow bring up same sex marriage.

Like I said, this is a good thing and I'm glad significant progress is being made. I just wish there was equal attention paid to other violations of civil liberties like ending the drug war and the abolition of the surveillance state. These topics get raised, but they certainly aren't as trendy.
All this.

Honestly I'd like to see gays get whatever the hell rights they are asking for so we can move onto something else. I'm seriously just fucking tired of hearing about it. It's definitely one of the stupider wedge issues that continue to pop up. I couldn't care less if they get married.

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
I think it has a lot more to do with American perceptions and prejudices towards Russia than Gay rights. Gay rights is just the platform where it's currently acceptable to hate on Russia.

America has hated Russia since the 80's. And well, pretty much every other country too.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004

Yep. The West does not care about Russian gays or the rest of Russian population (who have much bigger problems than "gay propaganda to children"). This is all about Vladimir Putin, who is one of the few world leaders that does not dance to US tune, and even resists it. Keeping a tight grip on energy exports to EU, reducing/selling Russia's US Treasury holdings, trading commodities with China in home currency, exporting billions dollars worth of military hardware to "axis of evil", bitch slapping away from Syria, giving asylum to Snowden, etc. Pure geopolitics on both sides. Gay rights or freedom is just propaganda for the koolaid drinking average Joe or Ivan.

Meanwhile in Saudi Arabia...
Abau1E4.jpg

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If gays are to compete in the Olympics, will they be just another athlete? Or are they gonna wear rainbow colors, and rub their gayness in everyone's face?

Well, I try not to be a homophobe and I support gay marriage..

that doesn't mean I want to watch a Gay Pride parade, and the men's figure skating coverage is pretty much that.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
Seems like a mass case of the Dunning–Kruger effect
"A cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than is accurate. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their ineptitude. Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding.

David Dunning and Justin Kruger of Cornell University conclude, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others".

Last edited:

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007

Have you seen Johnny Weir's outfits? They are fabulous!