I don't post in here much, but i have to ask, maybe i'll learn something :)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MAW1082

Jun 17, 2003
It's not about saving the skins of US soldiers, it's about the right to self determination.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: tomywishbone
Australia invaded New Zealand? Those bastards!

Edit: "It seems to me that you've a responsibility to finish what you started now tho..."

FYI, Iraq is absolutely unwinnable. It is lost.

Unwinnable? Maybe. Salvagable. Certainly. If people got over the notion of one solitary nation state for Iraq we could easily stop a lot of the problems over there.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Wreckem
Originally posted by: tomywishbone
Australia invaded New Zealand? Those bastards!

Edit: "It seems to me that you've a responsibility to finish what you started now tho..."

FYI, Iraq is absolutely unwinnable. It is lost.

Unwinnable? Maybe. Salvagable. Certainly. If people got over the notion of one solitary nation state for Iraq we could easily stop a lot of the problems over there.

Opens up new ones. Like the Kurdistan issue and I doubt anyone supports Iran annexing parts or Syria either, especially in the US.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MAW1082
It's not about saving the skins of US soldiers, it's about the right to self determination.
It is if you're one of those U.S. troops or their families and friends. :(

It's pointless to squander more American lives if the Iraqis are hell bent on trashing their future in a stupid civil war.

MAW1082

Jun 17, 2003
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: MAW1082
It is if you're one of those U.S. troops or their families and friends. :(

It's pointless to squander more American lives if the Iraqis are hell bent on trashing their future in a stupid civil war.

I completely disagree with your viewpoint.

I firmly believe that the value of human life is equally valuable, regardless of race or nationality. If you do not want to withdrawal because you think the Iraqis have the right to determine their own future, but instead just want to save american lives then I think you are probably a racist or 'nationalist.'

If I didn't believe the Iraqis had a right to self determination, then I would support sending as many US troops as are available, as long each US troop that died saved at least one Iraqi life.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Interesting stuff thanks folks :)

I have to admit i'm a little cynical about the 'self-determination' argument when it seems to me that the only thing keeping the Sunnis and the Shias from having an all out war is the might of good old Uncle Sam, unless by self-determination you mean a genocidal war that only ends when one side has slaughtered the other ;)

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: dug777
... but perhaps this should have been thought of beforehand?
Preferably by the liars who cooked the books and lied to lead us into this quagmire, and the fact is, we're stuck with no winning option. :(

That doesn't mean we shouldn't hold the criminals who did it responsible and get rid of them ASAP. The entire administration should be charged with the murders of every American troop who has died in their war and treason for shredding the rights guranteed to every American citizen under the U.S. Constitution. Then, they should be shipped off to the Hague to be tried for crimes against humanity. :|

Sadly, that will never happen, Harvey, and I think you realize that. Bush and Cheney would never survive in the Hague. Milosevic didn't and he was not near the monster George and Slick Dick are. Disgusting, to say the least! :|

I cannot see Dick's face, without seeing every imaginable vision of the devil. I can't hold the same regard for George. All I see there is an elected, Red Assed Baboon, who is misguided, and doesn't know what in the hell he's doing. So there is more idiot factor, than evil factor.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
the Democrats would demonstrate more competence when it came to "rebuilding" Iraq, I think. Also, someone like Hillary would probably be able to persuade European nations to contribute troops to Iraq (because she has established such strong relationships with leaders of those nations, and because she has their respect), and make the rebuilding effort more international in scope. With contributions from more countries, the presence of foreign troops in Iraq would have greater legitimacy I suspect. I guess the outcome will be messy, but hopefully it won't have to involve massive deaths following a complete US withdrawal.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
We need to draft Americans who voted for Bush and send them there by the millions to fight the insurgents and rebuild the country. Age and sex should make no difference. Some Americans knew this would be a catastrophe. Perhaps they should get a pass.

If only we could, if only we could. That's be "killing" two birds with one stone.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
The entire administration should be charged with the murders of every American troop who has died in their war and treason for shredding the rights guranteed to every American citizen under the U.S. Constitution. Then, they should be shipped off to the Hague to be tried for crimes against humanity. :|

Sadly, that will never happen, Harvey, and I think you realize that. Bush and Cheney would never survive in the Hague. Milosevic didn't and he was not near the monster George and Slick Dick are. Disgusting, to say the least! :|
Milosovic was a monster. So are Georgie boy and Dickwad, and I wouldn't shed a tear if they spent their last days there.