I dont like this 0 RPM fan deal... it's no good

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
I want my gpu fan to spin at a low rate not stop down to 0rpm. The only way I have figured out to do this is to run EVGA Precision and set up a custom fan curve but the problem is there is a conflict with Diablo 3 and EVGA Precision that causes the mouse cursor to dissapear in that game. Isn't there some direct control with the GPU software itself from NVidia that allows me to set up a fan curve that will work full time without having to run EVGA?

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Does the same cursor issue happen with other overclocking programs like MSI Afterburner?

I believe you can use a custom BIOS to disable the feature... Why don't you like it?

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Because it causes higher temps. In Diablo 3 with my EVGA fan curve my GPU doesnt even crack 40 degrees. And the fan isnt even doing 2,000rpm. Its a VERY modest curve.

With the default fan curve, the fan doesnt even turn on when I play Diablo 3 and consequently the temps end up in the low 60's. What the heck is the point of that? I'd rather just leave the fan spinning at sub-2,000 rpm and save my GPU the extra 20 degrees. Heat is what kills these things, heat is the enemy, why would Nvidia do this set up a 0 rpm fan curve so the GPUs run hotter than necessary. Are people really that put off by a little fan noise that they are willing to run their GPU's hotter? Seems crazy to me.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
Because it causes higher temps. In Diablo 3 with my EVGA fan curve my GPU doesnt even crack 40 degrees. And the fan isnt even doing 2,000rpm. Its a VERY modest curve.

With the default fan curve, the fan doesnt even turn on when I play Diablo 3 and consequently the temps end up in the low 60's. What the heck is the point of that? I'd rather just leave the fan spinning at sub-2,000 rpm and save my GPU the extra 20 degrees. Heat is what kills these things, heat is the enemy, why would Nvidia do this set up a 0 rpm fan curve so the GPUs run hotter than necessary. Are people really that put off by a little fan noise that they are willing to run their GPU's hotter? Seems crazy to me.
60C temp I consider more than reasonable. It's 80C+ where you may need to look at different cooling options. Under sustained load, my GTX 960 peaks at roughly 72C, again, a very safe temperature.

However, some EVGA cards have a dual BIOS setting where you can turn off the 0 rpm fan mode just by using the second BIOS (as well as increase maximum power). I assume your card isn't one of those?

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010

Nvidia is not the only company to do this. All quality aftermarket cards do this now as a way to make computers more silent.

60 degrees is not going to hurt anything. Mid 70s to low 80s is even fine for gpus. You are worrying about nothing.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Guys, I know 60 isn't going to hurt anything. That's not the point. What GPU do you think will last longer, the one running cooler or the one running hotter? I don't plan on upgrading this system probably ever. It is going to be my legacy DX11 Windows 7 system I'd like to keep this card running for 10 years if I can.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Improve your case airflow?

Maybe you can get the GPU temp down that way?

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Guys, I know 60 isn't going to hurt anything. That's not the point. What GPU do you think will last longer, the one running cooler or the one running hotter? I don't plan on upgrading this system probably ever. It is going to be my legacy DX11 Windows 7 system I'd like to keep this card running for 10 years if I can.

60c will hardly kill your GPU. If anything you will kill your fans from keeping them spinning all the time.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I do distributed computing, keeping my GPUs at "high" temperatures like 60C or even higher for long periods of time. I haven't had one GPU fail from high temperatures. I have had a couple with noisy or stopped fans from running so much, however. For the average consumer this is probably a good deal.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
60c will hardly kill your GPU. If anything you will kill your fans from keeping them spinning all the time.
Yep. Not only that but non-spinning fans = much less dust and cleaner GPU.

Dont people remember when 60c was a typical idle temp for most cards years ago even with fans spinning?

pj-

May 5, 2015

Your threshold of acceptable temperatures seems based on gut instinct rather than evidence. I don't know for sure if a card running at 40C will last longer than one running at 60C. Do you?

Will this legacy system be running 24/7, or will it be used 8 hours every six months when you want to play a game that doesn't work on windows 10+? If it's not running all the time I don't think this is something worth fretting over.

reb0rn

Dec 31, 2009
IC will never be damaged by 60-80C!, in past there were problems with PCB/solders and weak capacitors, even 100C is nothing for the silicon
I would always chose silent operation to temp!

Innokentij

Jan 14, 2014
Dose it matter? he dont like not having a option to disable the fan from being disabled, he is asking how and not ur opinion on safe temperatures. Try to download the tweak tool from whatever brand of nvidia card u got to see if u can turn that function off there is my best advice i can think of without opening google.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Pretty sure you can do this via modding your bios. At least I can on my 980ti. I never changed those settings on mine because I like the fans turning off, but I could clearly see those settings represented as editable values.

You use Maxwell Bios Tweaker to change the parameters then nvflash to flash it. Several guides on how to do it, just google. Use at own risk (though it's pretty easy to do).

Ed1

Jan 8, 2001
^^This

I have used Maxwell bios tweaker to alter fan profile on my MSI 970 .
It to has 0 rpm feature till 60c , I like that but wanted a lower trigger point, so I set my trigger point at 54c .

If you wanted a 25% , or whatever low constant rpm, you could also do that to .

Any 3rd party app like MSI AB needs to be running in back ground to alter fan .