I don't even know where to begin with this one: NYC opens first Gay High School

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
There are all kinds of "alternative schools" including programs for: drug-addicted youth, educationally handicapped youth, students who demonstrate considerable difficulty in peer and/or adult relationships, and quite a few other groups of students who are in danger of not graduating high school. I think that the Harvey Milk School is being setup for precisely the same reasons: to keep kids who may be in danger of dropping out, in school.

So they are in danger of dropping out because they are gay?
Is being gay a "handicap"?

CkG

I think the problem is these kids are getting so harassed in public schools, that yes, they are in danger of dropping out. But, hey, don't yell at me - I didn't authorize the school. But I do think there may be a valid reason for it. Or at least, I'm willing to consider it....

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
There are all kinds of "alternative schools" including programs for: drug-addicted youth, educationally handicapped youth, students who demonstrate considerable difficulty in peer and/or adult relationships, and quite a few other groups of students who are in danger of not graduating high school. I think that the Harvey Milk School is being setup for precisely the same reasons: to keep kids who may be in danger of dropping out, in school.

CkG

I think the problem is these kids are getting so harassed in public schools, that yes, they are in danger of dropping out. But, hey, don't yell at me - I didn't authorize the school. But I do think there may be a valid reason for it. Or at least, I'm willing to consider it....

There are lots of kids in schools that get harrased, should they get special schools too?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

Just checking ;) wouldn't want you to be labeled "pro-Bushevik" :p We all know what that'd do for your reputation:p

CkG

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: charrison

CkG

There are lots of kids in schools that get harrased, should they get special schools too?

No kid left behind. Remember? Heh. Seriously, I don't know. What kind of kids are we talking about?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

CkG

No kid left behind. Remember? Heh. Seriously, I don't know. What kind of kids are we talking about?

We could jsut set up individual schools for each catagory that might be harrassed. This will make sure they are ready for the real world, where there will be no walls to protect them from the mean people.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

We could jsut set up individual schools for each catagory that might be harrassed. This will make sure they are ready for the real world, where there will be no walls to protect them from the mean people.

Why don't you just admit that you're opposed to this because its "Gay." Otherwise, do you have a background in education? Are you well-versed with troubled kids to know which ones are in danger of dropping out or not?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Why don't you just admit that you're opposed to this because its "Gay." Otherwise, do you have a background in education? Are you well-versed with troubled kids to know which ones are in danger of dropping out or not?

I have no problem with it being a gay school if it is private funded. I have already stated this.

But i am speaking from the truth, segregating these students will not being doing them a service as the real world is no better than school. There are mean abusive and hateful people everywhere. I am willing to bet that even that the gay school there will be those that are harassed.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

I have a problem with it. They are making themselves a "victim". I thought they wanted equality? Then why separate themselves? Why not be the "norm" they claim to want to be seen as?

That is my problem. Not because they are gay - but that they use their gay-ness as an excuse to be a victim.

CkG

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
I need not read the article to know that I'm happy they've at last moved from the dreary dull sad schools to the more happy gay ones... this is long over due.. bravo.. NYSD.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
This is a perfect example of American self-victimization. 50+ years ago, I am sure it was tough to be gay. That is probably why very few people actually admitted their alternaticve sexuality. It was not accepted by society, and those that came out were truly victimized. But now adays, gays are treated much more fairly. Sure its not perfect, but we are at the point in American society where being gay is pretty much normal and those that have opposed it for the past 50 years are finally starting to give up and accept it. In fact, I'd say it is easier to be gay than a devout Christian, especially in high school. At my high school, teachers would never look down upon the gays, lesbians, aetheists, etc... but as soon as we Christians decided to pray at the flag pole, all of them complained. If you are an average, heterosexual American, much less white or Christian, you are viewed as a threat to the minorities. Why is this? I don't know. All I know is that Christians deserve a school of there own just as much as gays do. Similarly, why don't we give Mormons, Islamists, whites, blacks, and every other group their public own school? Because that is segregation, the very evil we decided to eradicate from our country.

If you ask me, this is a step backwards fro gays and lesbians. "People don't accept out lifestyles. Oh no... let's run and hide so we can be safe from being ridiculed. After all, it's not our fault." So, all of a sudden it is the government's responsibilty since they are gay. What happened to the good 'ole days when people were responsible for their own actions? They are long gone as long as people hold the government responsible for their weight, skin color, sexuality, and other personal aspects.

I am not anti-gay. I don't condone their actions, but I'm not going to treat someone who is gay any different than a straight person. So, why should gays get their own public school? Do they want to be treated differently? Do they want to be segregated? Do they want to become their own victim? I guess so...

On a positive not... I bet teen preganancies would be fairly low in a gays only school...

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
wouldn't there be an uproar if there was a school strictly for straight students? Anyway, I hope this project fails because it's opening the way for a lot of strange eventualities.

By the way, everyone within a quarter-mile zone should be reminded to squeeze their cheeks to prevent unwanted penetration via ass piracy.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by: jjones
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
The thing I don't get is why gays are so often so increddibly smart.
Can't say I've met too many overly intelligent gays. No more intelligent than average in my experience. And I've known quite a lot of gays having worked for a number of years in large advertising office. An office of over 300 people with about 25 - 30% gay population and high turnover rate.

But maybe advertising attracts all the average gays. Who knows?

Advertising in most companies is a department notoriously full of idiots. So if the gays in marketing are of average intelligence, that puts them far above the straight people in marketing.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
This is a pretty stupid idea IMHO. Nice way to make people stand out even more then usual.

Trezza

Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
The thing I don't get is why gays are so often so increddibly smart.

Moonie thats simple gays are smart because of all the cramming they do.

Seriously though i wouldn't want to be gay and in a NYC public school...but then again i don't think i would want to be in a NYC public school anyway.

cpumaster

Dec 10, 2000
Gay high school? Why? This sounds like segregation in reverse...
does that means from now on all gay students in NYC should only go there and stop attending regular school and interacting with regular students?

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
":I don't even know where to begin with this one: NYC opens first Gay High School"

your first step would be enrollment ;)

Is this still the number 1 reason for teen suicide? I love those who think gays have it eaay today, especially teens. you all remember being a teen, how much you wanted to be different, to stand out in some weird way that everyone thought was sick or immoral. Who wouldn't "choose" such a life....

Sodom and Gommorrah anyone??

I'll take the eggs and bacon, keep your religion to yourself please, thank gOD for the wisdom of our founding fathers, you are the people they were worried about.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
If it was a private high school I would not have a problem with it, but since they said that it was a public high school, I see it as discriminatory....

However, it will be removing the gays that were picked on in NY, last time I checked any hot looking chick that was gay was fantasized by young heterosexual boys and young girls liked being around the cute gay guys because they could exchange fashion tips and do each others nails. This would be removing the fugly ones and dumping them out of sight and out of mind from the general population. I think paying a little tax dollars for that might be worth it ;)

Amirtallica

Banned
Apr 17, 2003
If this is so, then my I want to go to a school for straight people. I never really felt comfortable around fudgepackers. I hate these BS double standards, like how a girl can now play in a mens golf tournament but a man can't play in women's.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Amirtallica
If this is so, then my I want to go to a school for straight people. I never really felt comfortable around fudgepackers. I hate these BS double standards, like how a girl can now play in a mens golf tournament but a man can't play in women's.

fudgepackers have feeling too....:D

Here you go

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
I hear they're opening up another school too for people who like to take it up the @ss.

shuan24

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2003
Originally posted by: jjsole
I hear they're opening up another school too for people who like to take it up the @ss.

Hmmm I guess you would know wouldnt you? :Q

Gen Stonewall

Aug 8, 2001
Your biggest concern should be directed to those who will attend the school. It probably won't lack a hearty dose of propaganda, where the students will be taught the beauty and perfection of a homosexual lifestyle. Many students will probably lose their heterosexuality as time progresses.

All in the name of tolerance?... No, Diversity?...

All in the name of insanity.

:disgust::confused::disgust: