I don't care if EA has the NFL - 2k8 FTW!

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Considering that people buy Madden every year mostly to get a roster update... I wouldn't be surprised if this game is unsuccessful even if it is a far better game than Madden. Unless they make it very easy to update the rosters with real player names - but then they still lack the logos and team names and everything else.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: SunnyD
EA can suck the pigskin, so what if I can't be Peyton Manning, at least I'll have great game play and better visuals!

This is great news. I would still rather play 2k5 than any madden game. I think EA paid off Microsoft to insure that they wouldn't make it compatible with the 360.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
I've been REALLY hoping for this ever since the NFL made that horrible decision to give EA exclusivity. Between the fun of Blitz: The League, and what will hopfully be a return to great 2k Sports football, I could care less if there's a real name on a jersey.

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
madden will still KILL it. NFL license is huge... most hardcore madden players are hardcore nfl fans. If they can't be michael vick or peyton manning whats the point? Realism is half the beauty if sports games.

yosuke188

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2005
Originally posted by: fs5
madden will still KILL it. NFL license is huge... most hardcore madden players are hardcore nfl fans. If they can't be michael vick or peyton manning whats the point? Realism is half the beauty if sports games.

Yes, this will probably fail miserably.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
not a football fan, but boy, did NBA 2K7 kick serious arse over EA's pile of crap called NBA Live 07

2K > EA

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: fallenangel99
Why can't 2KSports sue NFL for it giving EA complete monopoly over the NFL??

The NFL has the right to choose who they do and don't license their product to, and my understanding is they specifically did NOT want to license it to 2k because their low prices cheapened the brand. EA doesn't have a monopoly - other companies can make football games, they just can't put the NFL name on it or use NFL teams and NFL players. The NFL is the one with the monopoly - on professional football in the US. All of the major sports leagues are, that's why congress can justify holding hearings on steroids in professional baseball.

michaels

Banned
Nov 30, 2005
They hype monster that is 2k football grows ever year more and more. It is like the fishing story that is told about the big one that got away, every time it's told it gets bigger and better. Did I like the games? Yes. Were they the greatest thing ever? No.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: michaels
They hype monster that is 2k football grows ever year more and more. It is like the fishing story that is told about the big one that got away, every time it's told it gets bigger and better. Did I like the games? Yes. Were they the greatest thing ever? No.

yes actually they were the greatest football games ever.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: michaels

And that's different from Madden....how? Oh the difference is, Madden is a POS.

CocoGdog

May 31, 2000
Originally posted by: mugs

The NFL has the right to choose who they do and don't license their product to, and my understanding is they specifically did NOT want to license it to 2k because their low prices cheapened the brand. EA doesn't have a monopoly - other companies can make football games, they just can't put the NFL name on it or use NFL teams and NFL players. The NFL is the one with the monopoly - on professional football in the US. All of the major sports leagues are, that's why congress can justify holding hearings on steroids in professional baseball.

While it is true the the NFL has a "monopoly" on football, did you really watch the failed products called the USFL or the XFL? I didn't even waste my time on those - only we had Steve Young in the LA Express so many years ago...

Why not just play the old games - such as Cyberball or Mutant League Football?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Nothinman

Because monopolies aren't illegal?

Oh yeah.. why did AT&T split up? Why does the Justice department want Microsoft to be split up?

for monopolization, which is different.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Oh yeah.. why did AT&T split up? Why does the Justice department want Microsoft to be split up?

Abuse of a monopoly is illegal, just having one isn't.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
While I love the 2k sports and have owned everyone every year since Dreamcast, I will regretfully say that it will not do well since there is no NFL license. I sure as hell like to play as my favorite players just like in NBA and MLB. That's why most people buy them to play as their favorite player. I will buy this new 2k8 Football game because they make great sports games while Madden just can release the EXACT same game with updated rosters every year. I sure hope some hardcore people will make downloadable rosters with realistic stats and logos but a mom buying a football game for their kid or Joe Schmo that knows nothing about games except that he loves NFL will buy Madden because of the NFL license.

RapidSnail

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2006
NFL 2k5 is the greatest NFL game ever(.) I believe that 2k8 will succeed if 2k can provide heavy customization options a la Winning Eleven.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
100 bucks they get sued by the NFL and/or EA for IP infringement.

Since they're not using the NFL bran, any of their logos or player names how could they possibly get sued?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: route66
100 bucks they get sued by the NFL and/or EA for IP infringement.

Doubt it. All they have to do is change the players' names and appearance. The NFL doesn't own city names. I'm not a lawyer so I'm not sure if using a player's stats/attributes would be the same as using their likeness, but I highly doubt it.

When I was a kid, unlicensed sports games were the norm, not the exception.

Jack Ryan

Golden Member
Jun 11, 2004
Someone will make a roster. Download it, bingo, names. Same thing happens every year with the college games.

I will certainly be giving it a try. Madden jumped the shark with its next gen offering.