I didnt get fired ... i got DOUBLE FIRED !!

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
So today 8 of us, about half the temp staff, go marched into the "meeting" (i.e. firing) room, and the speech went like this:
"We were expecting a much larger volume of work, about 4k modules a day, and we're getting barely 1k; we haven't got the money to keep you working so you are all on one week's notice"

We talked about this previously and the were like "we had a solid numbers projection, we didnt expect this low volume"
Me: "what do you think this is due to"
Them: "a lot of them are going through the portal"

Or in english, "we didnt expect people to use the internet".

Anyway, one week notice, ill prepare myself mentally and start looking again.

Except when he was done with the firing, he quickly says "can you and john stay"

And im like, "dude are we getting double-fired?!?!"

Short laugh but yeah. We got double-fired.

Me n' one other guy have "i dont even know how you guys have these" contracts so we don't even get 1 week of $$$.

Totally still up for job offers if you got any.

And that is the story of how i got double fired.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
No double fired is like extra fired. Fired and then again fired extra hard just to be sure.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Sorry to hear that. :( I was hoping it the was the double negative equals positive thing.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't understand how you and the dude were asked to stay, but that means you were fired, again.

He just asked you to stay (after the meeting--and not on the job), just to rub it in? I don't get it.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I don't understand how you and the dude were asked to stay, but that means you were fired, again.

He just asked you to stay (after the meeting--and not on the job), just to rub it in? I don't get it.
He asked them to stay so he could tell them that they weren’t going to get that last week; they were gone right there and then. That’s my reading. Claimed that they weren’t entitled to the week under the contract they had.

Reactions: DigDog

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
He asked them to stay so he could tell them that they weren’t going to get that last week; they were gone right there and then. That’s my reading. Claimed that they weren’t entitled to the week under the contract they had.
It really seems that in some lines of work, companies are prone to mismanagement and overestimation of how much business they are getting.

If worked for such companies I would be closely watching the upper management and keeping my resume up to date.

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
Sorry to hear DD. Yeah, bad time of year, but you seem to be dealing with it well.

Best of luck!

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Hope things turn around for you Dog. Seems you've had a rough couple years.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
File for unemployment ASAP and appeal if denied. No cost and never hurts to file.

That and start looking right away. Jobs market is starting to turn south so get in there now.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Oh I see. goddamn savage, man. :mad:

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Temp staff, modules, internet... What exactly do you do for a living? When was the temp job originally supposed end?

Nov 8, 2012
Temp job eh? I never understood people who take temp jobs... Unless it is substantially high paying - why work to get something (apply, interview, all the BS) all to be let go at a ridiculously short amount of time? (6 - 24 months)

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Temp job eh? I never understood people who take temp jobs... Unless it is substantially high paying - why work to get something (apply, interview, all the BS) all to be let go at a ridiculously short amount of time? (6 - 24 months)
Because it beats no job? And temp job can turn into permanent job. At some companies, it's the best way to get your foot in the door.

It's easy to forget what's like to be hungry. Don't be a dick.

Reactions: DigDog

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
People without jobs are fond of eating and living indoors just like folks with jobs. Sometimes, a job's a job.

Nov 8, 2012
People without jobs are fond of eating and living indoors just like folks with jobs. Sometimes, a job's a job.

Because it beats no job? And temp job can turn into permanent job. At some companies, it's the best way to get your foot in the door.

Apologies - genuinely wasn't trying to be a dick with my question. I asked mostly because when I'm applying I honestly skip those over - just wondering if other people get that same feeling.

I commend anyone that works in life, no doubt. It's a bitch. I'm honestly about to quit my job after the holidays and I don't yet have a job lined up quite yet.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016

In some areas, temps jobs may be the only ones available to some folks. I've been there some 20 odd years ago.