I "Did" going to overclock!!

mdennison

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2001
Can't get the fcking chrome orb off!!!! i'm afraid the mobo or cpu gonna get damaged and am so pissed. Got fop32-1 and thermal paste ready to go...argghhh...

edit: yup, upped the voltage to 1.7 and now running at 850 from 700 and about to do some hard core benchmarking. :) The weird thing is that all the programs show me at 866..hmmm..

RC5Bri

Dec 24, 2000
That really sux! My dad ruined a motherboard when he removed the clip on a heatsink for a celeron. He was using a screwdriver, it slipped, and he took out a couple of traces. I tried to repair the traces, but couldn't get it to work.

Patience. Are you willing to let someone else try? I have found that chopsticks work best to unhook those clips.

Keep trying...Good Luck

mdennison

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2001
When i push down the bottom of the clip touches my mobo. I don't know how i got it on there in the first place and i don't want to break off the clip or drag the clip across the mobo. I'm going to try again after calming down. Can't wait to get my 700 to 850 or so :)

nortexoid

Diamond Member
May 1, 2000
chopsticks?..hahaha

it took 2 people for us to get a thermaltake volcano 5 off a socket...one pushed down on the clip w/ a screwdriver, the other took a knife/flathead and pushed the clip outward away from the socket to unhook it...

try that...u may need 7 or 8 people depending on breakfast eaten that day.

smp

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
Never done a chrome orb.. but this is how I do it w/ other ones.

I think that you can see (access) the clip THROUGH the fan blades. This works if you have a small flathead screwdriver or something similar. This way, you have downward and outward pressure on the clip, and you odn't have to worry about damaging the mobo..
If that doesn't work, you can attack it again by pushing downward where you've been pushing before w/ one hand, and use the other hand to pull the clip outwards with a small pair of needlenose pliers if you got something like that. Hope that helped, the first method works great for me.

DoctorBooze

Dec 10, 2000
You could put a bit of sellotape (you guys call it Scotch tape?) on the mobo under the clip... save your board getting scratched if the clip slips. Leave the tape there afterwards; you don't want the tape pulling the varnish or traces off the board!

Of course it's easier to put the tape there before you fit a CPU...

mdennison

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2001
Thanks for the advice. I got it off with some "slow" going :) Now time to adjust some jumpers and see what happens...

liketofish

Aug 7, 2001
yup...never use a screw driver to remove a heat sink. All board manufacturers say that is how the largest percentages of boards are ruined!