I crashed on a motorcycle today!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
That.

If you need to stop in a hurry, you will need to use the front brake. Learn your skills, practice your skills, stay safe.

yeap.

i'm still trying to figure out how you accidentally hit the front brake.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
yeap.

i'm still trying to figure out how you accidentally hit the front brake.

When I was teaching the classes (basic & advanced), I used only the front brake for a long time so I could get a feel for the mass transfer as I slowed and increase pressure as the weight/mass shifted to the front of the bike.

The most common way you can crash using the front brake is to squeeze it hard and then let off of it, then you high side because of the direction changes...

Glad you're ok OP, practice makes perfect :D

There's 2 kinds of riders, those that have crashed and those that are yet to crash :)

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
Any of you fools not using the front brake needs to take a MSF class and not give any riding advice till you've passed the class and hopefully taken the advanced class as well.

I've taken both courses and I know what works for me. I'm not telling people not to use the front brake, only saying that I don't use it. If I were in a situation that I had to, I would obviously use it.

With that being said, I'm always covering the front brake in busy areas.

Mind you, I've never ridden a raked Harley or similar. Considering they barely break 50km/h it's hardly a big deal.
My Harley has no problem hitting 185km/h.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
When I was teaching the classes (basic & advanced), I used only the front brake for a long time so I could get a feel for the mass transfer as I slowed and increase pressure as the weight/mass shifted to the front of the bike.

The most common way you can crash using the front brake is to squeeze it hard and then let off of it, then you high side because of the direction changes...

Glad you're ok OP, practice makes perfect :D

There's 2 kinds of riders, those that have crashed and those that are yet to crash :)

yeah. when i started rideing my dad made sure i knew how to use the front brake. it has saved my ass a few times heh

after roughly 20 years of rideing i have had more road rash then i need. it does seem EVERY rider i know has crashed at least once. just a matter of how badly..

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
My biggest problem with little girls who bitch about how motorcyclist all inevitably crash (mostly people who have never been on a motorcycle) is that they all seem to think that crashing = insta death. I've crashed once, and most motorcyclist I know have crashed at least once. But the vast majority of crashes on motorcycles are minor scrape-ups that result in broken fairings and bruised egos.

Sure, motorbikes are more dangerous than cars, that's obvious. But who wants to live life in a bubble, scared of every little thing that can hurt you?

arcenite

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
My biggest problem with little girls who bitch about how motorcyclist all inevitably crash (mostly people who have never been on a motorcycle) is that they all seem to think that crashing = insta death. I've crashed once, and most motorcyclist I know have crashed at least once. But the vast majority of crashes on motorcycles are minor scrape-ups that result in broken fairings and bruised egos.

Sure, motorbikes are more dangerous than cars, that's obvious. But who wants to live life in a bubble, scared of every little thing that can hurt you?

:D Not getting on a motorcycle != living life in a bubble.

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
:D Not getting on a motorcycle != living life in a bubble.

I can agree with that. I'd also say that there a certain people who just aren't meant to be on a motorcycle (also certain people who shouldn't drive a car).

Thing is; if it wasn't at least a little dangerous, I'm not sure it'd be all that much fun. :D For me, the bike isn't all that practical... but it is fun! It's more of a toy that I can use for transportation.

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
You have to know how to use the front brake. Depending on speed, terrain and whether or not is is raining using just the front brake can be disastrous because if you really lay into it, you can lock up the front wheel resulting in skidding of the tire.

Not using the front brake at all is stupid, it's part of the braking system. If used correctly you can greatly decrease your stopping ability, which will come in handy on a street bike when someone pulls out in front of you.

In racing mastery of the front brake is absolutely essential. The harder you can push the bike into a turn, the faster you can get out.

If you are riding on loose gravel, grass or a wet surface you should mainly rely on the rear brake, using the front brake sparingly by pumping it rather than locking it up.

Asphalt is more forgiving, you can get away with laying on it pretty hard. Also modern street bikes have anti-lock brakes (ABS). I would still recommend using the front brake in conjunction with the rear however.

Most dirt bikes do not have ABS.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
if motorcycle debates ever overtake gun threads on ATOT, I'm quitting. this shit is lame

May 13, 2009
I've taken both courses and I know what works for me. I'm not telling people not to use the front brake, only saying that I don't use it. If I were in a situation that I had to, I would obviously use it.

With that being said, I'm always covering the front brake in busy areas.

My Harley has no problem hitting 185km/h.

Wow I thought you were joking at first. Please learn how to ride a motorcycle.

May 13, 2009
OP nothing slipped. You grabbed a handful of front brake and it sent you flyin off the bike. Hopefully you didn't mess up your friends bike too badly. I blame you and your friend. Your friend should know better than to let some noob ride his bike. I only let my little brother ride my bike. We've been riding dirt bikes since we were kids then onto street bikes when we were old enough.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
OP nothing slipped. You grabbed a handful of front brake and it sent you flyin off the bike. Hopefully you didn't mess up your friends bike too badly. I blame you and your friend. Your friend should know better than to let some noob ride his bike. I only let my little brother ride my bike. We've been riding dirt bikes since we were kids then onto street bikes when we were old enough.

I dunno, he likes his personal lube.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

1000000% this.

"tapping" the front brake would slow you down. getting a fistful, on the other hand...

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

1245244843692.jpg

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006

You need to practice proper braking all the time. That way when you need to use it you'll use it correctly by muscle memory and instinct rather than having to think about it. Being rusty can lead to bad things.

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
You need to practice proper braking all the time. That way when you need to use it you'll use it correctly by muscle memory and instinct rather than having to think about it. Being rusty can lead to bad things.

Maybe I'm just recalling wrong. I've been riding in a good mix of snow and rain for the past three months and on those days the front brake literally scares the shit out of me. I've had my back tire come out three times on me with light use of the front brake.

I'm probably using the front in dry weather without really realizing it.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Use both brakes, unless the specific situation calls for just one. Habitually doing anything less is asking for trouble.

The most dangerous part of riding is looking out for cagers. You can always count on careless drivers not seeing you so you've got to ride defensively and use both breaks.

The only time I ever laid a bike down was when someone pulled an illegal u-turn and ended up right in front of me. I couldn't slow in time or get around so I laid it down to avoid a collision and possibly going airborne. Even though the cager was 100% at fault, if I had been more alert I may have avoid the road rash. I was riding a little carelessly that day and paid for it.

OP obviously needs more training, experience and to take riding more seriously.