I could have sworn that modern versions of Outlook could do Bayesian spam filtering

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
But looking at a customer's copy of Outlook 2013, apparently not? It seems to only have the 'junk filtering' of old being the useless "block by sender" option.

Can someone with a newer copy of Outlook please confirm?

Nov 20, 2009
I thought spam filtering took place server-side, not client side. I've never encountered a client handling spam. Forcing a client to handle spam defeats one of the purposes of filter, which is to not let it out the POP/IMAP server.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
I am running Outlook from a 365 subscription , I get very little spam in my inbox

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I thought spam filtering took place server-side, not client side. I've never encountered a client handling spam. Forcing a client to handle spam defeats one of the purposes of filter, which is to not let it out the POP/IMAP server.

Not really. At the end of the day, most junk filtering services/features present the list of e-mails considered to be junk to the user so they can have the final say. To do otherwise means that e-mails (potentially wanted ones) are simply never arriving as far as the user is concerned.

Thunderbird has a junk mail filter. I've also come across Mailwasher (plus one other such app I can't remember the name of) which plugs into popular mail clients. Sylpheed apparently has one too.