I can't stand sports reporters. Or most sports commentators.

MrToilet

Feb 28, 2005
Examples:
The Sean Taylor tragedy, when it first came out, the insinuations were that "he had it coming."

I don't understand why you need to ask a coach immediately after a game "Hey coach, you just got your butt kicked, what happened?"

And I don't need to know that you "spoke with the coach" before the game about worthless crap. It's all crap.

No offense, but there are NO good female sideline reporters. I mean, I understand you need something easy on the eyes to look at, but Lisa Guerrero? Suzy Kolber? Seriously? Just clone Erin Andrews about 1000 times and we'll all be happy.

It's kind of funny how much some announcers have a woody for the New England Patriots. Don't get me wrong, they're a good team, but I swear some of these announcers are going to be giving "happy endings" by halftime.

Just because you were a former football player or crappy coach does NOT make you a good analyst. Examples: Shannon "Marble Mouth" Sharpe. Emmitt "Dancing with the Stars" Smith. Dan "Choke Artist" Marino. Terry "LOOK AT MY BALD HEAD!" Bradshaw. The list goes on...

Stephen A Smith likes to hear himself talk. Period. He is truly an idiot. Same goes for Jim Rome.

Nothing like a perfectly good game ruined by terrible announcing... Remember Summerall and Madden on Monday Night Football? Unintentional comedy for 4 hours.

By far, though, my favorite Maddenism: Talking about Dallas Cowboy OT Larry Allen's BUTT SWEAT. You can't beat that.

Finalnight

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2003
i take it you just finished watching MNF?

Don't worry, ESPN's MNF can make the Dali Lama flip out. It'll pass after a few hours sleep.

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
I used to respect Madden. Sure, he'd slobber over Brett Favre's sack, but at least he was consistent. These days, however, he's a bona fide whore. Favre, Manning, Brady... this guy has no shame! Thank god the SB is on Fox this year, since if it turns out that its GB and NE, watching Madden suck two guys dry at the same time would have been unbearable.

Finalnight

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2003
Originally posted by: mooglemania85
I used to respect Madden. Sure, he'd slobber over Brett Favre's sack, but at least he was consistent. These days, however, he's a bona fide whore. Favre, Manning, Brady... this guy has no shame! Thank god the SB is on Fox this year, since if it turns out that its GB and NE, watching Madden suck two guys dry at the same time would have been unbearable.

Stop...it...mental...images...pain...suffering...hate...

MrToilet

Feb 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Finalnight

Stop...it...mental...images...pain...suffering...hate...

Heehee, John Madden as a set of Chinese Finger Cuffs? oooo oooo ooo bad images bad images

Pugnax

Jan 17, 2000

hahahaha so true.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
I usually mute the idiot talking heads and put on the local radio commentary (web stream) for Saints games. Jim Henderson & Hokie Gajan FTW! :D

Last night I forgot to do so since it was MNF...god, I wish I had. Not only did I have to listen to the ESPN Moron Brigade's incessant babbling about Vick, but they brought Arthur Blank in the booth and HE yakked about Vick for NEARLY AN ENTIRE QUARTER.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: loup garou
I usually mute the idiot talking heads and put on the local radio commentary (web stream) for Saints games. Jim Henderson & Hokie Gajan FTW! :D

Last night I forgot to do so since it was MNF...god, I wish I had. Not only did I have to listen to the ESPN Moron Brigade's incessant babbling about Vick, but they brought Arthur Blank in the booth and HE yakked about Vick for NEARLY AN ENTIRE QUARTER.

MNF has really slipped. I never thought I'd miss Madden, but he's a lot better than these idiots.

In general, though, commentators are bad because they feel they must full every second of airtime. If, instead, they were encouraged to only say things when they felt it was relevant (beyond the play-by-play), I think everyone would be a lot more satisfied. There's nothing wrong with a little silence every once in a while.

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
Madden has gone way downhill in the last 10 years. Or maybe I just got sick of him.

Kornheiser feels compelled to create a social commentary or drama in these MNF games where there is none. He'll still be mentioning Katrina and the Saint's '06 "karma" at every single N.O. game he does until they boot him out of that booth. Stick to making fun of people with Wilbon.

Command of the English language is not really an essential for "studio analysts" these days. It seems like they're most interested in a collection of ex-players who can hoot and holler while they're going to commercial break, as if the viewer is so stupid as to think he's getting an inside look at the fraternity of ex-players, or getting a feel for what an NFL locker room is like.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000

This getting almost impossible with digital cable, HD, time delays. I had an almost 10 second difference between broadcasts the last time I tried that.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002

Madden has always been that way, before the guys you mentioned it was Montana, Young, Aikma, blah blah blah. His eventual on air heart attack should be more interesting than his commentary.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Squisher

This getting almost impossible with digital cable, HD, time delays. I had an almost 10 second difference between broadcasts the last time I tried that.
Yeah, I know. It's better than silence though.

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Kornhole is currently the worst of the worst, IMO. This season I thought MNF would be better since I like Ron Jaworski, but apparently Joe Theismann was a calming/intimidating presence for Kornheiser. One that I now miss, though I still think Theismann sucked in the booth.

If TV announcers would just stick to a more radio-like approach to calling the game, with some useful color commentary thrown in now and again, it'd be 200x better. NO ONE cares about the human interest, social commentary, or celebrity guest garbage.

codeyf

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Joe Buck has to be the best (national) commentator around these days. Local broadcasters are pretty much always better if you're watching your team though.

MrToilet

Feb 28, 2005
Yeah, I actually prefer the announcing on European soccer to almost anything here- they don't talk just to hear themselves talk, and most of their announcing is pretty good.

And PPV boxing announcers are hilarious, but at least they make it entertaining. Most baseball/football/basketball announcers don't genuinely care about the game, I think they care about seeing themselves on TV.

And you're right, local announcers are always better, since they actually care about what's going on.

I think that's my biggest problem with sports announcers/reporters, they just talk to hear themselves, and try to sound smart- most of the time, they fail miserably. Eric Dickerson, anyone?

MrToilet

Feb 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Squisher

I was watching a Kansas basketball game and talking on the phone to a friend who was watching the same game... he was getting pissed because I'd say something right before it happened on his TV (like a 3-4 second time delay. It was really funny.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
Originally posted by: MrToilet

No offense, but there are NO good female sideline reporters.

I'll get flamed for being chauvinistic pig on this but whenever I see female sportcaster, I just can't give them anything being said being valid. Yeah I know plenty of knowledgeable female sports fan and I'll banter with them about sports. That's all fine but the female sportscaster just doesn't get me worked up - that's like some dude getting the female audience worked up on some big shoe and makeup sales going on at the mall this weekend - just doesn't work. I'm piggy aren't I?

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Modeps
Thank god the SB is on Fox this year.

So you actually LIKE Joe Buck? :Q

Not really. But I can't wait for part II of his infamous "That's a DISGUSTING act by Randy Moss, and it's unfortunate we had it on our air live!" comment if NE makes the SB :laugh:

MrToilet

Feb 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Modeps
Thank god the SB is on Fox this year.

So you actually LIKE Joe Buck? :Q

Not really. But I can't wait for part II of his infamous "That's a DISGUSTING act by Randy Moss, and it's unfortunate we had it on our air live!" comment if NE makes the SB :laugh:

You're talking about the mooning incident in GB, right? Yeah, that was freakin' funny. I mean, what's the difference between mooning, doing a Riverdance, or signing the ball with a Sharpie? It's all for entertainment.