Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Chuck Roast
Red Potatoes
Carrots
Onions
Salt and Pepper
Water

Brown the roast on all sides, put all the ingredients into a stock pot and simmer for a long time. The water stays very watery so it's more like a soup than a thickened stew. What do I do to get a thicker consistency to the gravy or the sauce portion?

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Less onions, less water.
Need to thicken it quickly, add flour or cornstarch.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: SampSon
Less onions, less water.
Need to thicken it quickly, add flour or cornstarch.

When do I add flour or starch? How much to add?

summit

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2001
add it towards the end, just add bits at a time until its thickened to your liking. also are you quartering your potatoes? maybe add more potatoes less water.

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Add it at the end when the beef is cooked. Do what summit said (but bring your own plates and napkins).

summit

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2001
Originally posted by: SampSon
Add it at the end when the beef is cooked. Do what summit said (but bring your own plates and napkins).

jesus am i gonna be remembered for that like bladder and hwk, and bulk and beef?

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Summit
add it towards the end, just add bits at a time until its thickened to your liking. also are you quartering your potatoes? maybe add more potatoes less water.

I'm halving my potatoes because they're pretty small.

I know that adding flour can make the sauce taste doughy. Do I take out all the cooked ingredients, bring the remaining liquid to a boil, and then add flour?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Cornstarch is the best bet ... anywhere from 1/4 to 1.5 cups or more depending on the amount of gravy required ... I suggest starting with 3/4ths of a cup ... mix it with just enough cold water (hot will be tough to mix) so it will dilute easily in the gravy.

When the roast is done, remove it & the vegetables from the pan & then drain juice into a medium saucepan ... bring it just to a boil then turn heat to warm & very slowly stir the cornstarch mixture into the gravy until the desired thickness is reached... be sure to keep stirring & go slowly or you'll get nasty chunks.

Salt & season to taste & you're good to go.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
You can always use the water that's in there and toss in a gravy packet and make it into a gravy/sauce.

mryellow2

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2000
Corn starch. As captante said, pre-mix thoroughly in a separate bowl before sloooowly adding to your sauce while stirring. I'd go a bit easier with the starch though, more like a couple tablespoons at the very most.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've never added water to a pot roast. Mine are made with potatoes, bell peppers, onions, celery, tomatoes, carrots. The veggies seem to give the moisture needed. Gravy is made on the side, if desired.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: mryellow2
Corn starch. As captante said, pre-mix thoroughly in a separate bowl before sloooowly adding to your sauce while stirring. I'd go a bit easier with the starch though, more like a couple tablespoons at the very most.

Good advise. Several tablespoonfuls of it are enough unless you are feeding an army.

Strain the liquid into a pot and bring it to a simmer. Slowly add the cornstarch/water to the hot liquid stirring constantly. Be careful, because it will thicken as it cooks. If you over do it, just add a bit of water.

Alternately (and I recommend this especially for meat sauces) make a roux. That's simply a mixture of half flour and REAL butter heated in a pan (stir it of course) until it's golden to dark brown. Add by the spoonful to the hot liquid. A roux not only thickens but adds a rich flavor and color to your sauce or gravy.

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider
Originally posted by: mryellow2

Alternately (and I recommend this especially for meat sauces) make a roux. That's simply a mixture of half flour and REAL butter heated in a pan (stir it of course) until it's golden to dark brown. Add by the spoonful to the hot liquid. A roux not only thickens but adds a rich flavor and color to your sauce or gravy.

I like this idea, definitely going to try it.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Everyone telling you to add starch is leaving out an important detail. Dissolve whatever starch in a bit of cold water in a separate container, then stir it into whatever you want to thicken. Otherwise, you have a good chance of ending up with lumps. Dry flour into hot liquid gelatinizes the outside quickly, so you'll end up with clumps, or "dumplings" as I called them the last time I made that boneheaded move :)

Also, if this is in a crock pot, consider corn starch instead of flour. Corn starch will thicken without coming to a full boil, whereas you really need to get flour up to a boil for max thickening.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
roast / potatoes / carrots etc recipe

throw everything in the crock pot (not the office crock pot). go to work.

come home. eat

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Yeah usually my mom would make the gravy at the end. Take the pot roast outta the roasting pan and put it on a serving plate. Then stir in some corn starch to thicken the gravy. Yum!

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
i use cream of mushroom soup for gravy - the condenced kind, dont have to fully thin it out cooks down into creamy mushroomy goodness

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004
Add some instant potato flakes. That will suck up excess water and not taste doughy.