I can't get over this overwhelming feeling of sadness

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Have you gone to any support groups (virtual is still good) or tried to see a therapist?

Reactions: Mayne

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I'm not going to kill myself...just can't figure out life now.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
saw my neice today..she gave me a 6 pack of beer :). I think about her now and i just want to cry.

Reactions: Captante

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I don't remember...are you still working? if all you're doing is sitting around your apartment moping, you'll never get over this shit. Get out and do SOMETHING you enjoy. COVID probably has you locked down as well, so your options might be limited, but GET OUT OF THE HOUSE AND DO SOMETHING. Walking, fishing, picking up prostitutes...SOMETHING.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I don't remember...are you still working? if all you're doing is sitting around your apartment moping, you'll never get over this shit. Get out and do SOMETHING you enjoy. COVID probably has you locked down as well, so your options might be limited, but GET OUT OF THE HOUSE AND DO SOMETHING. Walking, fishing, picking up prostitutes...SOMETHING.
This is the solution of someone who has not and cannot understand clinical depression. "Just DOO something!" is not a solution. It might help in some individual cases or be what people need in general, but you are clearly not understanding the biggest issue, in my opinion.

The only people I have ever heard these kinds of suggestions from are the ones who have absolutely no idea what it is like to deal with depressive illnesses.

@Mayne I hope you are able to organize your thoughts and not be overwhelmed with them.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
This is the solution of someone who has not and cannot understand clinical depression. "Just DOO something!" is not a solution. It might help in some individual cases or be what people need in general, but you are clearly not understanding the biggest issue, in my opinion.

The only people I have ever heard these kinds of suggestions from are the ones who have absolutely no idea what it is like to deal with depressive illnesses.

@Mayne I hope you are able to organize your thoughts and not be overwhelmed with them.

You're right. I DO NOT understand clinical depression. I've always been a "man the fuck up, brush off the dust...maybe rub some dirt on it" kind of guy...But I DO know...just sitting around his apartment lamenting the loss of his sister isn't healthy. Does he need a mental health professional? Perhaps...I've wondered that about him for years. Forcing himself to get out and do SOMETHING shouldn't be at all harmful, (as long as whatever he does isn't destructive or deadly) and it MIGHT help...if not, doesn't Canada's wonderful health system offer clinical help?

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
goddamn beers everytime. I will make a walk to the beer store to return some empties today...but i have a plantar wart from hell. So much fun lol

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
work is almost non-existent right now...the weather is not cold enough ffs.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
At least I can play my shitty fury warrior to stave off the boredom

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
You're right. I DO NOT understand clinical depression. I've always been a "man the fuck up, brush off the dust...maybe rub some dirt on it" kind of guy...But I DO know...just sitting around his apartment lamenting the loss of his sister isn't healthy.
I figured this about you before you stated it, which is basically saying that you don't believe in the validity of mental health and/or illness.
You pass off as an 'easy fix' what is usually far more complicated; often involving body chemistry that can affect your thinking, logical, rational mind.
Does he need a mental health professional? Perhaps...I've wondered that about him for years.
True or not, this is a cheap and pointless potshot. You just questioned the validity of mental health but immediately afterwards, want to claim you "always thought he could use some"?
Forcing himself to get out and do SOMETHING shouldn't be at all harmful, (as long as whatever he does isn't destructive or deadly) and it MIGHT help...if not, doesn't Canada's wonderful health system offer clinical help?
In your "manly-man" wisdom, you have no clue how hard the first step out that door can become, nor will you.

Whether you realize it or not, you are using old and tired reasoning and logic here. Despite good intentions, I don't see it as helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtualLarry

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I figured this about you before you stated it, which is basically saying that you don't believe in the validity of mental health.

A cheap and pointless potshot. You just questioned the validity of mental health but immediately afterwards, want to claim you "always thought he could use some".

In your "manly-man" wisdom, you have no clue how hard the first step out that door can become, nor will you. Whether you realize it or not, you are using old and tired reasoning and logic here. Despite good intentions, I don't see it as helpful.

1. Please explain where I "questioned the validity of mental health."
2. Have you READ Mayne's posting drivel over the years?
3. blah, blah, blah...

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
1. Please explain where I "questioned the validity of mental health."
'Toughen up. Rub some salt in it and go for a walk. Try getting out more often. Do stuff rather than just sitting around wallowing.' Etcetera, etcetera. :rolleyes:
3. blah, blah, blah...
Exactly, discussion about depression is to be poo-pooed and mocked, huh?
I'm not trying to just attack you here, I was actually trying to explain so you might comprehend, but alas...

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
:( Hang in there. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Seek help if you need it, and consider anti depressents, sometimes it can help get you out of the rutt.

Yeah it's easier said than done. When depressed it's just an overwhelming feeling of dispair and lack of motivation. Even things that should be fun like video games are not attractive.

When I was going through depression a few years ago what I found DID help for me is going for walks, it does not take much effort and at least it got me out of the house. But even that is not that easy.

And yeah be careful with the alcohol. At very least, make sure you don't drink enough to get drunk or even tipsy, it just makes the depression worse. And avoid drinking alone. If you just want a comfort drink, maybe have ONE beer but don't have more than that. If you really do feel depressed I would suggest going on antidepressants even if it's just temporarily, it will help get you out of this.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Mayne, get a GPU for your PC, and do some crypto mining on it. It's fun and addicting, watching your money ratchet up.

Or get another PC just for mining, so that you don't screw up the one that you use for gaming.

Plus, it helps heat your dwelling in the winter.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I just spent the last 4 hours with my nephew. I worry so much about this kid it ain't funny. He is far down this meth rabbit hole.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I feel for you dude. I've been fighting depression for the last 25+ years. Specifically bipolar depression that only got diagnosed correctly 6 years ago. Before they just said depression until one therapist asked the right questions. My pops was very depressed as well so I got it off the old man. It's almost impossible to get out of bed some days. I did the drinking away the pain thing for a bunch of years at a functioning alcoholic level, until I wasn't. The drinking thing is a vicious cycle. It does work quite well - in that it does provide temporary relief while you are buzzing, but then it wears off and it's a depressant.

I've tried so many different mood stabilizers in the last 6 years - first only generics due to lack of good health insurance, then the newest ones due to better health insurance and free samples from my shrink because with a deductible it would still be a pretty penny for the first 2 months of meds. The meds thing is like throwing darts blindfolded. You take one, gotta try it for x amount of time, see if it helps with current depression or prevents future depressive episodes, plus encounter any side effects. You see what it does, weigh any pros with any cons, then try another. Only one pill did much of anything good on the mood side but made me gain weight. The weight gain or sexual side effects are the two most common, although I had a couple other side effects with another. So I'm on something else now to see how that goes. My buddy out in Denver is trying Ketamine therapy, I'm thinking about doing that as well. I've tried Lithium, Lamictal, Latuda, Abilify, Geodon, Depakote, Vraylar, and then Neurontin for anxiety. Anyways, it's crippling.

One of the best things I did was get a dog some years back, he gets me out of the house and walking and some companionship. He's a big dog, 62lbs, so needs long walks. Sometimes that first walk can launch me into a better day. My love for that dog and knowing he needs that walk makes me get out of that bed. Stay close with the family you have, I know you had a loss recently but seems you have some others nearby like your niece.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
I was depressed/suicidal for a number of years, self medicated with alcohol and drugs. Slowly but surely figured out drugs and alcohol make it worse along with diet, lack of sleep/proper exercise and attitude. When you get stuck in a shitty attitude of why whats the point of everything you use/drink, eat garbage to feel better, don't sleep, don't exercise. It just compounds everything because it makes you feel even worse so you keep indulging in more alcohol/junk food, cant sleep, don't want to move.

Maynes posted his diet on here plenty of times its terrible. Without proper nutrients your body needs of course you're going to feel terrible. Everybody knows you cant drink every day like mayne and expect to feel right, its poison to your body and mind. Ignore all that though and go see the doc for some happy pills to cover it all up, its the american way.

Reactions: Captante and Pohemi