I can't eat slow

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
Originally posted by: MustangSVT
what does it matter if you eat fast anyways.
If you eat faster, you tend to eat more. Your stomach needs approx. 20 minutes to be able to tell it's full. So, faster eating leads to more eating, and more eating, leads to weight gain.

tweekah

Oct 23, 1999
From what I hear...
Back in the day if have a big family and you don't eat fast, then you don't eat ;D

frankgomez75

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2004
Originally posted by: GundamSonicZeroX
If you eat faster, you tend to eat more. Your stomach needs approx. 20 minutes to be able to tell it's full. So, faster eating leads to more eating, and more eating, leads to weight gain.

Hmm.. learned something new. According to this arcticle from

"Emotional Overeater"

In the case of fast eaters, because food is being consumed so quickly, the brain doesn?t have enough time to sense that the body has been fed and therefore ?switch off? the hunger signals. Physiologically, it takes about 20 minutes before your brain receives the stop signal from your stomach and intestines. Consequently, by the time this signal reaches your brain, you have overeaten and feel uncomfortable.

Wow, guess eating slow is actually good for you.

Kalvin00

Lifer
Jan 11, 2003
I'm a ridiculously fast eater as well....I can scarf down a burrito as wide as your forearm and about 10" long(from a Mexican restaurant here) in a couple of minutes...

Just how i've always been. :)

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Kalvin00
I'm a rediculously fast eater as well....I can scarf down a burrito as wide as your forearm and about 10" long in a couple of minutes...

Just how i've always been. :)

Seems as if you really like those 10" long ones. ;)

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

That's what my wife always tells me. But I always prepare or order the same amount of food regardless, and I eat everything I prepare or order. I choose reasonable portions based on nutritional information, I don't go by what I thought filled me up in the past. I use Fitday.com periodically to determine appropriate portion sizes for the foods I eat most frequently. So yeah, eating fat can make you fat. But you are still in control.

Sqube

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
I don't understand how people can eat so fast. I used to do it when I was ~15, wolfing down super-sized McDonald's meals all the time. Nowadays, I try not to rush as much. It also helps that I'm usually doing something else while eating that keeps me semi-occupied. Left to my own devices, with nothing but a plate in front of me, I imagine I'd eat pretty damn fast too.

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
I eat very quickly.

Maegin eats slowly, as did my x.

I also drink quickly; water, beer, tea, eggnog.

Rogo

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
:laugh:

I'm also a 20-minutes-to-a-bagel type. If I chew quickly, the inside of my mouth gets chewed up really badly. And of course, any bitten area swells up right away, prompting additional bites. Any lacerations turn into open sores - this kind of thing - which can take 2 weeks to heal. They're really quite painful, and make eating a very unpleasant chore. Depending on the location, an ulcer can also make speaking painful.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
I eat fast.

No, that's doesn't mean that I'm not enjoying my food. I do enjoy food...a lot...I just like it best when it's fresh off my plate, not when it's been chewed up for five minutes in my mouth and has turned to mush.

No, it's not going to make me fat or give me indigestion. Maybe your body couldn't handle it, but mine can. My metabolism kicks ass, and my digestive system's not too shabby either. It doesn't require much preprocessing of food prior to digestion. Sure, maybe I eat more than I would if I was a slow eater, but I'm 6'2", 160lbs...if I ate any less, I'd shrivel up.

And I have no idea why eating fast seems to fundamentally offend some people. People are different, deal with it!

Feb 19, 2001
I'm fast when it's Chinese food and you just scoop dishes onto rice and you start devouring it.

I'm a lot slower when it comes to steak and things you need to cut and if it's steaming hot and you need to wait till it cools. Why? I don't like super hot things so I can't eat it instantly.... But even with steaks I'm pretty darn fast. It won't be disgustingly fast, but I'll be quite fast.

Stretching dinner to 10 minutes takes quite a bit of work. I know I finished in 5 minutes today.... or less.

Originally posted by: frankgomez75

Hmm.. learned something new. According to this arcticle from

"Emotional Overeater"

In the case of fast eaters, because food is being consumed so quickly, the brain doesn?t have enough time to sense that the body has been fed and therefore ?switch off? the hunger signals. Physiologically, it takes about 20 minutes before your brain receives the stop signal from your stomach and intestines. Consequently, by the time this signal reaches your brain, you have overeaten and feel uncomfortable.

Wow, guess eating slow is actually good for you.

Why do you think girls eat so slowly? =P

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
I eat ridiculously quick as well. Although I eat less than a lot of my friends, I always finish first. I'm pretty sure it's because I dont chew that many times before swallowing

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: jagec
I eat fast.

No, that's doesn't mean that I'm not enjoying my food. I do enjoy food...a lot...I just like it best when it's fresh off my plate, not when it's been chewed up for five minutes in my mouth and has turned to mush.

No, it's not going to make me fat or give me indigestion. Maybe your body couldn't handle it, but mine can. My metabolism kicks ass, and my digestive system's not too shabby either. It doesn't require much preprocessing of food prior to digestion. Sure, maybe I eat more than I would if I was a slow eater, but I'm 6'2", 160lbs...if I ate any less, I'd shrivel up.

And I have no idea why eating fast seems to fundamentally offend some people. People are different, deal with it!

dayum, maybe you should chew a little more, milk some more nutrition outta your food. 6'2'' 160 is really skinny

Feb 19, 2001
AIM Convo:

0 (6:29:53 PM): so my coworker ended up buying drinks for....

*dinner time!*

0 (6:38:55 PM): hahaha yah

That's with soup too which usually slows me down...

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
I eat fast too, I think I picked up this bad habit from working at my dad's restaurant growing up. when you work in the kitchen, you just dont have time to sit down to eat, you just eat fast and get back to work right away. For those that eat fast, did you work in a restaurant when you were younger too?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
My wife eats extremely slow (like 3-4 hours to eat a shrimp type of person) and it drives me nuts. She plays with her food and refuses to realize it. I go in, eat my damn food, and I get the fvck out. And, I *do* enjoy my food. However, I do NOT enjoy spending two hours in a restaurant when we are having a "light lunch." That's absurd.

Oct 4, 2004
I only eat fast if I'm in a hurry or if the food is really horrible but I am relying on it to keep me from fainting. (I sometimes forget to eat. Next thing I know, I get up from my chair, my head spins and I realize it's been fourteen hours since I've had a meal. Scary stuff if there's no food in the house and you have to drive yourself to the nearest restaurant.)

I like to take my time with the good stuff.