I. Can't. Decide. Requesting RAM advice...

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
I'm guessing I can't go wrong with either of these, but I just don't know. Would like some input from you trusty anandtechies.

Going to upgrade my M/B and RAM to achieve a decent OC and here's what I'm shooting for.
New M/B will be a GA-EP45-UD3R
CPU is a E6750 2.66Ghz 1333 FSB (wanting an OC of 3.6-3.8?)

Choices: (specs taken from manufacurer's website)
[all are DDR2-800 and 4GB (2x2GB) (all virtually the same price buying from zzf or newegg)]
Corsair XMS2 - 5-5-5-18 @ 1.9v
OCZ SLI-Ready - 5-4-4-15 @ 2.1v (2.2v EVP)
OCZ Gold - 5-5-5-18 @ 1.8v (2.1v EVP)

Reviews at newegg are all mixed, some say great OCer, others say bad so what the hell? My last 2 memory purchases were OCZ so I know and trust them, certainly willing to give other brands a try though.

Thanks.

UPDATE: Went with DDR2-1000 instead: OCZ Platinum OCZ2P10004GK for about $3 more (after rebate) than the 800's listed above.

UPDATE 2: Another winner from OCZ! Don't have the new motherboard yet, but with my current one I have it clocked at 1030Mhz and my E6750 @ 3.01Gz. I found the best results by reducing my mutliplier from 8 to 7 and increasing the FSB to 430. Don't know voltages as my MB has everything set to Auto and greyed out.

disports

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2008
I would personally get the Corsair ram. You won't really notice the difference in timings.

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
G.Skill also has a DDR2-1000 kit for $45 which would be just as effective.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Good luck with that. I've had serious problems with OCZ DDR2 over the last two years and won't buy it again. (Problems - as in, failure to boot on multiple motherboards even with latest BIOS and voltage bumped up.)

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
Same, and when I contacted OCZ for their 'lifetime warranty' I was either disconnected, or just ignored. So not buying anything from them any longer.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Never hurts to have a guaranteed 500 MHz :)

I'm sure you'll be more than fine with the RAM you purchased.
GL with the MIR though...

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Originally posted by: n7
Never hurts to have a guaranteed 500 MHz :)

I'm sure you'll be more than fine with the RAM you purchased.
GL with the MIR though...

I ordered a PCP&C PSU a few months back which had a $20 MIR that I received, eventually. That was through OCZ's same *rebate handling* place. There is I think two other MIRs from OCZ that I've received in the past too.

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Denithor
Good luck with that. I've had serious problems with OCZ DDR2 over the last two years and won't buy it again. (Problems - as in, failure to boot on multiple motherboards even with latest BIOS and voltage bumped up.)

Jeez thx for making me feel comfortable with my purchase guys. :p

It seems to me that there's people with this same story with every brand of memory. There's also the opposite story; been using x memory for x years without incident.

So I'm not really worried. Been using this OCZ Platinum with this sad panda for 17 months now without incident. Haven't really tried OCing cause of the mediocore M/B.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
I'm not saying OCZ memory doesn't work, I just personally had a b*tch of a time finding motherboards compatible with it. :D Once I found a board that would play nice all was good.

And I got back my rebate on the first sticks I bought from them two years ago within two months, I think, and am still waiting for this latest rebate. I just won't be buying any more from them (thought I'd give them another chance recently and still had boot issues on one board).