I can't believe Hillary won in TX

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
Crazy! I thought for sure she was going to lose. I'm glad though. I woke up this morning, (at 11:30 :) ) and saw on USAToday.com that she won TX, I almost fell out of my chair.

PS. I have a feeling this thread was made already b/c there is none? This is my first P&N thread so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

bbdub333

Aug 21, 2007
It's obviously a fraud carried out by the Republicans in conjunction with Diebold and the Rand Corp.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
she only won the primary popular vote

Obama got more primary delegates and is almost certain to get more caucus delegates

it appears to me that the main reason he lost the state wide vote was due to Harris County(Houston), he only got about 56% of the vote, whereas his other 'stronghold' counties, he got 60-62%

i wonder if it was a turnout problem or just good campaigning by Clinton or what

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003
Vote breakdown is as follows for Texas:

Hillary 1,453,139 votes
Obama 1,354,672 votes

McCain 707,622 votes
Huckabee 521,951 votes
Paul 69,000 votes

That makes about 2.8 million votes for Democrats and 1.2 million votes for the Republicans. Either the Republicans aren't motivated to vote or they are taking Rush's advice and voting Hillary or switching parties for Obama.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Quintox
Crazy! I thought for sure she was going to lose. I'm glad though. I woke up this morning, (at 11:30 :) ) and saw on USAToday.com that she won TX, I almost fell out of my chair.

PS. I have a feeling this thread was made already b/c there is none? This is my first P&N thread so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Obama is most likely going to get more delegates from TX than Hillary.

All-in-all, the whole thing last night looks to be another draw. It'll probrably be a few days before it's all figured out, but so far I'm hearing it ended up with one candidate or the other gaining just 2 or 3 delegates.

This race is rapidily running out of "road". Obama is gonna end up with 100 or so delegate lead at the convention and we'll have to see what the super delegates do.

Fern

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Sucks, eh? Still, he has clinched a lead that ensures all but the most incredible of circumstances prevent her catching up in pledged delegates.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Did she not have a 20% lead on him weeks back? That's not an easy margin to overcome. Senator Obama had a pretty good showing.

hellokeith

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2004
I don't know many Democrats in Dallas/Fort Worth who like Obama. OTH, they seem to like Hillary, if only for the fact that she is a woman and has some relationship to King Bill.

My mother went to the Caucus for Hillary. I have to say I'm happy in a sense that she is excited about the political process and her candidate has a chance. My guy (Fred Thompson) would have cleaned up in Texas, had we had an earlier caucus day.

xochi

Jan 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Uhtrinity
Vote breakdown is as follows for Texas:

Hillary 1,453,139 votes
Obama 1,354,672 votes

McCain 707,622 votes
Huckabee 521,951 votes
Paul 69,000 votes

That makes about 2.8 million votes for Democrats and 1.2 million votes for the Republicans. Either the Republicans aren't motivated to vote or they are taking Rush's advice and voting Hillary or switching parties for Obama.

I live in a very red precinct in Texas. When I voted mid morning there wasn?t much activity. My wife voted in the late afternoon and she said there were lines to vote (Democrat) that she has never seen before. I would guess some of them were Republicans, but have nothing to back that up.

Doest matter to me, I would be happy with Clinton, Obama or McCain becoming POTUS. I seriously doubt Texas will turn blue by November to make a difference for Clinton or Obama.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Fern

All-in-all, the whole thing last night looks to be another draw. It'll probrably be a few days before it's all figured out, but so far I'm hearing it ended up with one candidate or the other gaining just 2 or 3 delegates.

This race is rapidily running out of "road". Obama is gonna end up with 100 or so delegate lead at the convention and we'll have to see what the super delegates do.

As usual you miss the whole point. Hillary wins nearly all of the biggest states and the key battleground states like Ohio, Michigan and Florida. She has proven she has a better chance of beating McCain.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
The main reason I am for Hillary is that I honestly, do not think Obama has enough experience to run the country. He seems like a cool guy, smart, but he isn't experienced enough.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: M0RPH

As usual you miss the whole point. Hillary wins nearly all of the biggest states and the key battleground states like Ohio, Michigan and Florida. She has proven she has a better chance of beating McCain.

Nope, it means she had a better chance of beating Obama in large states. Obama has a better chance of beating McCain. Only change, not experience, can beat McCain. McCain has experience in spades.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Quintox

it doesnt matter. she didnt win BIG.

she doesnt have the delegate #'s to catch up, unless she wins PA with like 90% of the vote :Q

all hail Pres Elect Obama

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

Hehe, the "whole point". Shoulda said the "only point".

Hillary and her supporters are promoting this because it's all she's got left.

Not too long ago Hillary and her campaign said it was "all about the elected delegates".

Now that she can't win that battle so it's on to something, anything, else.

I continue to insist that the "whole point" is that Obama is going into the convention with an elected delegate lead (a lead no too long ago considered more than substantial) and we'll see how the super delegates react.

How they react under these circumstances is the "Whole point".

It has the potential to affect the gen election and the Dem party for a long time to come.

Fern

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Have you guys been following the latest news at all?

She has a strong possibility of losing Texas. She barely won the primaries by a 2% margin, but she might lose the caucuses by 10%. The caucuses count for 1/3rd of the delegates. Also, Texas awards urban areas with more delegates; areas that Obama won.

Obama has a strong chance of coming out of Texas with more delegates than Hillary (pending caucus results that are still being counted).

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Have you guys been following the latest news at all?

She has a strong possibility of losing Texas. She barely won the primaries by a 2% margin, but she might lose the caucuses by 10%. The caucuses count for 1/3rd of the delegates. Also, Texas awards urban areas with more delegates; areas that Obama won.

Obama has a strong chance of coming out of Texas with more delegates than Hillary (pending caucus results that are still being counted).

I'll repeat this from another thread. Caucauses are complete and utter bullsh*t and Texas proves that quite clearly.

Texas just shows how skewed the caucus system is in all of these states. You take the same group of potential voters, in the TX primary they vote for Clinton by 3%, while caucas results are showing Obama winning by 12%.

Sure, Obama has more zealous supporters who are willing to put up with the oddities of the caucus system. As you can see from Texas though, it is NOT representative of the gerneral populace of voters. It's a shame really that the election system in this country is so F*D up.

Give voters a full day to come in at their convenience, cast their vote anonymously in a voting booth and then go home. This is how voting is supposed to work. Caucases need to be a thing of the past.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
Never underestimate the power of voter ignorance.

Obama supporters are so superior. With your fancy college degrees and fancy cars. Guess you guys know what's best for everyone. All the rest of us should stay home.

Obama supporters could give a crap about uniting the country. They treat Clinton supporters like idiot lepers, and you expect republicans are going to embrace you? Thanks for showing the true colors of the obama electorate.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

No democrat won either of those states so FFS stop posting that crap.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Robor

I beg to differ. She did win the election:

Clinton 50%

Obama 33%

Edwards 14%

She may not have won the delegates, but she did win the election that took place. And whether you like it or not, one way or another FL voters are going to get their votes counted. It may be a revote, but Clinton is in a position now to do nearly as well in a revote that she did in the first vote.

As for Michigan, if Obama had not been such a coward and had put his name on the ballot, then we'd have a better picture for there. Even if you give him ALL of the uncommitted votes he's a loser there. We should see a revote there and I don't expect the results to be much different from Ohio. Clinton should win handily.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Robor

I beg to differ. She did win the election:

Clinton 50%

Obama 33%

Edwards 14%

She may not have won the delegates, but she did win the election that took place. And whether you like it or not, one way or another FL voters are going to get their votes counted. It may be a revote, but Clinton is in a position now to do nearly as well in a revote that she did in the first vote.

As for Michigan, if Obama had not been such a coward and had put his name on the ballot, then we'd have a better picture for there. Even if you give him ALL of the uncommitted votes he's a loser there. We should see a revote there and I don't expect the results to be much different from Ohio. Clinton should win handily.

No she won't. It'll be close like TX. She'll net very few delegates.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: sirjonk
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
Never underestimate the power of voter ignorance.

Obama supporters are so superior. With your fancy college degrees and fancy cars. Guess you guys know what's best for everyone. All the rest of us should stay home.

Obama supporters could give a crap about uniting the country. They treat Clinton supporters like idiot lepers, and you expect republicans are going to embrace you? Thanks for showing the true colors of the obama electorate.

Well, if Hillary supporters would finally realize that Hillary has absolutely no shot of winning the nomination without doing some extremely shady dealings and destroying the Democratic party, we would stop treating you guys like idiot lepers :laugh: